The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

beginner question

im a begginner weight lifter and ive been having some pain in my elbow when i benchpress. i was wondering what could be causing this pain. also i cannot lift that much or lift that long on the benchpress before my arms start hurting and i lock up and cant lift any more. could i be doing benchpress wrong or something? also when i benchpress i dont feel any strain or burn in my pecks all i feel it in is my arms. any advice on this could help thanks. also im 18 and i cant bench more than like 90 pounds for a workout, whats wrong with me why cant i lift much?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig New Member
    Do you have tendonitis?

Wannabebig New Member
    um...no lol i dont even know what that is, more advice please

Rule #1: Don't worry about the weight you are lifting. No one in the gym cares.

Secondly, make sure you have a nice wide grip. I like to put my middle fingers on the rings of the bar.

Here's a good place to start, look around on the internet for more info, talk to people at the gym you need alot more advice than we can give you in a few paragraphs. Get that elbow looked at. Bet you can double that bench in a short peroid of time if you learn the proper form and good luck.
    http://www.building-muscle101.com/be...-routines.html

Wannabebig Member
    To feel it more in your chest and less in your arms, make your grip wider, the wider it is the more chest you use. Nothing is wrong with you, you just have to keep up training. Start slow, who cares how much you can lift, at least you are doing something. Pain in joints could be from not resting long enough among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelface
    im a begginner weight lifter and ive been having some pain in my elbow when i benchpress. i was wondering what could be causing this pain. also i cannot lift that much or lift that long on the benchpress before my arms start hurting and i lock up and cant lift any more. could i be doing benchpress wrong or something? also when i benchpress i dont feel any strain or burn in my pecks all i feel it in is my arms. any advice on this could help thanks. also im 18 and i cant bench more than like 90 pounds for a workout, whats wrong with me why cant i lift much?
    I have the exact same thing. I had to basically give up bench pressing because of it for a while. I can bench on occasion, but doing it on a regular basis brings back the pain. Get it looked at and learn to love flyes, dumbell presses and other things that don't bother it.

RichLockyer
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG123
    Bet you can double that bench in a short peroid of time if you learn the proper form and good luck.
    http://www.building-muscle101.com/be...-routines.html
    I have a few problems with this workout.
    1 - If you're doing the extensions and presses properly, you're not going to be able to run (much less work the elliptical or cycle) the next day Heavy cardio doesn't generally pan out when planned for the day after leg day. My routine = Leg day then rest day(s).
    2 - Full-body workout days tend to be too draining, so the work performed at the end isn't intense enough to fully work the targeted muscle group.
    3 - Repeating every 3 days is a little much. It can take as long as 5-7 days for a muscle to recover to the point that it is ready to work again. I am frequently sore for 4 days, and any attempt at a repeat workout in less than 7 days results in a significant reduction in either weight capacity or rep count.

I understand that it is a beginner routine, but it is a routine that will result in overall toning and general CV health. A guy will spend a year on this routine and come in here asking why he's only progressed to 125lbs when his buddy (doing a 3-day split once a week) is pushing 200.

Better to start with WBB-1 and refer to http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html for graphics.

BTW, Squirrelface....
    I'm 41, 185, pushing 14" bis, and only BP 95. Been working weights seriously for only a couple of months.
    Last edited by RichLockyer; 11-11-2004 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichLockyer
    Better to start with WBB-1 and refer to http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html for graphics .
    :withstupi
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Wannabebig New Member
    THx for all the help DAwgs