Thread: Massive Eating Part I - Calorie Calculations By John Berardi - November

Hybrid View

Massive Eating Part I - Calorie Calculations By John Berardi - November

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

I wannabebig!
    I think jb's calorie estimates are way off for the normal trainee... haha

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I got like 5200... =/
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Critique of the writing:
    Why bother throwing in the conversion to kg.
    If 95% of the people on this board measure in pounds then I think that should be the standard.

I know how to measure RMR and I found the explanation here fairly confusing.
    He explains what to do for calculations, but not why.
    How accurate can any RMR/BMR calculation be without age and height?

The activity level multipliers are a bit higher than most I've normally seen, especially considering they dont factor in exercise.

Why couldn't a web calculator have been included here so we could avoid pencil and papering it ourselves?

What about distinctions between men and women in activity levels and in RMR?

What about a snippet on the difference between RMR and the more common- BMR?

No mention of differences in Harris-Benedict, Calloway, Owen, Miffin, etc, for BMR calculations? distinctions for obese individuals
    (BTW here is an AWESOME link explaing the differences in most of those and includes a calculator:
    http://www.korr.com/products/predictive_eqns.htm)
    Obviously I point out many minor things. However if your going to go into the detail of calculating the thermogenic effect of your food, then I think it would behoove a person to start with a proper RMR/BMR

According to Harris-Benedit my RMR is 2078 (based on weight, height, age)
    Accoring to the Owen calculation its 2031 (based on weight)
    According to Miffin its 1931 (based on weight, height, age)
    According to Bernardi its 2305 (based on weight, bodyfat)
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 11-11-2004 at 01:36 PM.

I used his method awhile ago and it came out pretty close to what I bulk on. Maybe it doesn't apply to everyone, but I thought it was pretty accurate.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I didn't get a chance to use his calculations for bulking, but i used the one for cutting. Its like the bulking one minus 500-1000 or something.
    I used to take in ~2900cals a day, using his calculations it told me too take in 3000 a day cutting. I was skeptical but followed his advice. The first week i lost no BF or weight. After week one i lost almost a % of bodyfat a week for over 12 weeks.
    Its all about where your cals come from that make the biggest difference in fat gain/loss.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Wannabebig Member
    Damn I got 5692.

Simply an amazing article though. Made my day! Thanks!
    Second place is the first loser.

Banned
    He states who the article is intended for at the beginning so I don't have a problem with it, but you can clearly tell these calculations are for people who struggle to put on weight. Some people could turn into a blimp on 2 weeks of eating like that.

Yup, I know I would be a walking good year blimp if I followed those calculations.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

With 5000 calories you can say goodbye to your normal life, any non-seated jobs, and your abs. Besides I think taking steroids is probably healthier than overfeeding in the long run. Instead of using fancy formulas which no one know if they really work, I would recommend starting at 4000 calories and increase gradually according to the results achieved. And then I'd wish for plenty of safe sex for everyone.
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinep
    With 5000 calories you can say goodbye to your normal life, any non-seated jobs, and your abs. Besides I think taking steroids is probably healthier than overfeeding in the long run. Instead of using fancy formulas which no one know if they really work, I would recommend starting at 4000 calories and increase gradually according to the results achieved. And then I'd wish for plenty of safe sex for everyone.
    So, 4000 calories is recommended, but 5000 means you'll have no life?

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    So, 4000 calories is recommended, but 5000 means you'll have no life?
    Don't get me wrong, I have no life with 3000 calories. 5000 just makes it worst.
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

It's difficult enough to eat a clean 3000-3500 calories. I couldn't imagine 5k.

I wannabebig!
    weak!

Agreed, the article is not 100% applicable to everyone but the idea remains the same. And 5000+ becomes a lot easier and less time consuming with 1.5gallons of milk and lots of cytogainer. Cytogainer is the greatest invention since electricity.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinep
    Don't get me wrong, I have no life with 3000 calories. 5000 just makes it worst.
    You could pretty easily get 3K clean cals in 3 meals.

Quote Originally Posted by galileo
    It's difficult enough to eat a clean 3000-3500 calories. I couldn't imagine 5k.
    I could ...

and in a few weeks I will be right there.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    Cytogainer is the greatest invention since electricity.
    lol

I got around 5200 cals. I should reconsider my diet.
    Great article.

Wannabebig Member
    what is cytogainer, and what does it taste like?

It's a whey based weighgainer that has 56g protien, 80g carbs (4fiber) and 5g of fat. Chocolate mint tastes exactly like it sounds and mixed with milk is gods gift to me. Some of the other flavors I can't recomend.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST