Thread: 3 day a week, push, pull, leg routine questions

Wannabebig Member

3 day a week, push, pull, leg routine questions

Currently I train 4 days a week,
    mon-chest,
    tues-back,
    thurs-arms,shoulders,
    fri-legs.

I have made decent progress on this routine but due to time restraints, college, work, stress, etc. I may have to switch to a 3 day routine. What I was thinking of doing is to to the same number or sets that I was doing, but just put them into 3 days. But then I was thinking on a push day for example, there is no way I could do the same number of sets for shoulders that I used to do. I'd be too wasted from doing chest first.

Then there is the issue of what kind of push pull leg routine to do. I could do a 5X5 with the big three lifts plus a few assistance exercises. I could do a more traditional method say 6-8 sets per large muscle, 4-6 per smaller muscles.

I have been training about 1 year now. As far as goals, I am looking for increased strength and some more size. I believe the size issue will be more dependant on diet and rest than the training. I'm basically a skinny endo, if there is such a thing. I can put on water and fat weight very fast, but muscle gains are ever so slow.

Anybody ever do a 5X5 or a regular 3 day routine? What exercises did you incorporate? What were your results? My mind is an open book here so any comments are welcome. Thanks.

i do a push/pull/leg.

basically 3 compounds and 2 isos. actually, i add side lateral raises in on chest day, and superset DB OHP with seated bicep curls.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

You could do what i do. It's kinda split over 2 weeks:

monday: thighs/hams/calves
    tuesday: chest/tris
    wednesday: rest
    thursday: rest
    friday: back/delts/bis
    saturday: rest
    sunday: rest
    monday: thighs/hams/calves
    tuesday: rest
    wednesday: chest/delts/tris
    thursday: rest
    friday: back/bis
    saturday: rest
    sunday: rest

It means the delts get hit on a friday, get 5 days rest, then get ten days rest before you hit them again. it also means tris get hit only once directly every other week [so they are trained once directly and once indirectly every other week].

Also, usually after chest my tris are fried that OH pressing is affected - this way that only happens every other week. And infact, on days when i do delts after chest i do the raises before presses for delts so a) my tris have a bit longer to recoop before the presses and b) it kinda fatigues my delts down to the level of fatigue that my tris have.

give it a try. It's been working well for me so far.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]