The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

3 day a week, push, pull, leg routine questions

Currently I train 4 days a week,
    mon-chest,
    tues-back,
    thurs-arms,shoulders,
    fri-legs.

I have made decent progress on this routine but due to time restraints, college, work, stress, etc. I may have to switch to a 3 day routine. What I was thinking of doing is to to the same number or sets that I was doing, but just put them into 3 days. But then I was thinking on a push day for example, there is no way I could do the same number of sets for shoulders that I used to do. I'd be too wasted from doing chest first.

Then there is the issue of what kind of push pull leg routine to do. I could do a 5X5 with the big three lifts plus a few assistance exercises. I could do a more traditional method say 6-8 sets per large muscle, 4-6 per smaller muscles.

I have been training about 1 year now. As far as goals, I am looking for increased strength and some more size. I believe the size issue will be more dependant on diet and rest than the training. I'm basically a skinny endo, if there is such a thing. I can put on water and fat weight very fast, but muscle gains are ever so slow.

Anybody ever do a 5X5 or a regular 3 day routine? What exercises did you incorporate? What were your results? My mind is an open book here so any comments are welcome. Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i do a push/pull/leg.

basically 3 compounds and 2 isos. actually, i add side lateral raises in on chest day, and superset DB OHP with seated bicep curls.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

You could do what i do. It's kinda split over 2 weeks:

monday: thighs/hams/calves
    tuesday: chest/tris
    wednesday: rest
    thursday: rest
    friday: back/delts/bis
    saturday: rest
    sunday: rest
    monday: thighs/hams/calves
    tuesday: rest
    wednesday: chest/delts/tris
    thursday: rest
    friday: back/bis
    saturday: rest
    sunday: rest

It means the delts get hit on a friday, get 5 days rest, then get ten days rest before you hit them again. it also means tris get hit only once directly every other week [so they are trained once directly and once indirectly every other week].

Also, usually after chest my tris are fried that OH pressing is affected - this way that only happens every other week. And infact, on days when i do delts after chest i do the raises before presses for delts so a) my tris have a bit longer to recoop before the presses and b) it kinda fatigues my delts down to the level of fatigue that my tris have.

give it a try. It's been working well for me so far.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]