Thread: Training hams and quads every other week?

Training hams and quads every other week?

I like to train after I play football on sundays. My games are short, so I still have gas left in me and since my legs are nice and warmed up, I like doing my leg workout.
    I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to train quads one week, and then hammys the next week. So I would be training each muscle group Every other week.

Is there any reason you can't train them both? Why not just use compounds that work both? Squats, deads, lunges. Certainly, you can have a quad or hamstring focused workout, but I don't think you should neglect the other muscles for two weeks.

I only work w dumbells at home. I go very heavy and intense with lunges and single legged stiff legged deads. After my football game, I have just enough juice to get one exercise done. Sounds like I'm being a wuss, but fatigue is fatigue. I can move leg day to another day,but after football is when I get my most intense workout.

P.S.- my hammys get a decent eccentric workout during lunges.
    Last edited by Sleepr; 11-14-2004 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rp41
    I only work w dumbells at home. I go very heavy and intense with lunges and single legged stiff legged deads. After my football game, I have just enough juice to get one exercise done. Sounds like I'm being a wuss, but fatigue is fatigue. I can move leg day to another day,but after football is when I get my most intense workout.

P.S.- my hammys get a decent eccentric workout during lunges.
    Well, if you're trying to get some growth out of your legs I personally would move the leg day to a different day instead of after football. I don't imagine it would be a bad idea to do as you suggested. It depends on your activity level though too I guess. If you're playing football a few times a week (as in practices and such) then you may want to seperate the hams and quads and do them on alternating weeks. Just a question, when you do your lunges you say your hams are getting a good eccentric contraction-are you saying that you move slowly on the down phase of the lunge?

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    Just a question, when you do your lunges you say your hams are getting a good eccentric contraction-are you saying that you move slowly on the down phase of the lunge?
    That is exactly what I am saying, I lower fairly slowly and at the very end of the movement, I spring back up very quickly...I am going for power with my workouts. I have been increasing the weight very nicely with my leg workouts. To be honest, I hate training my hammys....I don't enjoy the single legged stiff legged deads. Wish I had a barbell, but that ain't happening anytime soon. I wish I could hit both hammys and quads concentrically in one exercise with dumbells.

That is exactly what I am saying, I lower fairly slowly and at the very end of the movement, I spring back up very quickly...I am going for power with my workouts. I have been increasing the weight very nicely with my leg workouts. To be honest, I hate training my hammys....I don't enjoy the single legged stiff legged deads. Wish I had a barbell, but that ain't happening anytime soon. I wish I could hit both hammys and quads concentrically in one exercise with dumbells.
    Well, you are hitting your hams and quads together when you're doing dbell lunges bro. That isn't your hamstring doin all the work. You lower, and flex your knee...your hamstring and your quads are extending. On the up portion your quads and hamstrings are contracting to push you up...w/out going into too much detail about the other muscles working to extend your hip, but you see what I'm saying. If you want to work on your power, thats a good way to do the lunges. How about trying Plyometrics? Those are great for power developlment. You're sure to see some noticeable changes.

-I should have stated that I keep my lunges short, meaning that I don't step too far away from the starting point...this really hits my quads nicely. I guess I will just hafta lengthen my steps to get a better glute and hammy workout, seems like a decent compromise to me.

P.S.- I was also thrown off by the info on this site.... http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBLunge.html where it says that the hams are just stabilizing.
    EDIT:If I remember correctly, don't the hammys only extend the hip when the knee is extended? So I think that the hammys may NOT be getting worked.
    Last edited by Sleepr; 11-14-2004 at 02:16 PM.

Yea, I should have stated that my hammys are working as well during hip extension....I don't know where my head is at these days. My brain is on overload man, I am getting my masters in science in a year from now, and let me tell ya.....I can't even think straight these days with all the work they are throwin at me.
    -I should have also stated that I keep my lunges short, meaning that I don't step too far away from the starting point...this really hits my quads nicely. I guess I will just hafta lengthen my steps to get a better glute and hammy workout, seems like a decent compromise to me.

P.S.- I was also thrown off by the info on this site.... http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBLunge.html where it says that the hams are just stabilizing.
    Thats not a bad website to get an idea of how exercises should look...or close to it anyhow. In lunges its important that the knee stay over or BEHIND the toes...if you watch that video of that guy there you can see his knee come too far forward b/c he's not stepping out far enough. I always tell people on lunges to step out farther than he's doing there. Just lengthen your steps as you said and try to remember to really push through with your heel and hams, and glutes and I garauntee you'll feel it the next day.

Yea, I never go past my toes. Thanks for the info...... I am going to throw out the deads and just do lunges every week. I hate the single legged dumbell deads. I'll do them every so often just to switch things up a bit.

I would move your workout to a different day AND do it every week. I can't imagine that you're lifting enough to promote growth.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Well, I am. I gained 10lbs over 6 weeks thus far bulking and I am increasing my weight in each exercise I do. My circumferential measurements have increased as well and I did not gain much fat.....my body composition still looks slightly the same way it did before my bulk....with only minor fat gain. I have good genetics.