Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New study on low carb diets.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
    I coulda told you this just from personal experience. The ONLY thing that works for me burning fat/losing weight is cutting my carbs down dramatically. And it works without fail...
    You don't count cals.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    You don't count cals.
    I do but as long as those cals were coming from protein and not carbs, i had no issues. "All calories are not created equal."

In general its a two-fold procedure to lose fat. Carbs and calories are the two focuses but the calories seem to be cut in half just by cutting carbs out.
    From sixty twos, gemstars my mom's dishes

well this is good. im glad muscle chick bumped this. I am considering cutting now. I have flirted with it but I get pretty worn out. What about nutrient timing? having carbs in the morning? I have about 20 lbs I want to lose and I would be happy losing it over the peroid of 4-5 months. I'm in no rush. My protein intake is already pretty high, 200-300g/day and its tough to go much higher without using shakes. What do you do Abe? Fill the rest in with veggies?
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    well this is good. im glad muscle chick bumped this. I am considering cutting now. I have flirted with it but I get pretty worn out. What about nutrient timing? having carbs in the morning? I have about 20 lbs I want to lose and I would be happy losing it over the peroid of 4-5 months. I'm in no rush. My protein intake is already pretty high, 200-300g/day and its tough to go much higher without using shakes. What do you do Abe? Fill the rest in with veggies?
    Dynamo, for me i found myself at a seriously high fat percentage without even realizing...saw some pics of myself on vaca and was like wtf, im fat!! So literally the day after I saw the pics I started cutting carbs. And lets just say, that the body responds so quickly to low carb diets. 3 months later I haven't lost much weight (235-229) but the fat decrease results are great. I went from 25% to now around 17% without doing much if any cardio, just lifting weights and watching diet.

And i'll share again from personal experience that people overstate how much protein you need. 200-300g is too much if you ask me. It can reak havoc on your stomach and you wind up not needing that much anyway. I've gotten huge from one protein shake a day and stacking up on my chicken breast.

For me, this is an example of a daily diet that worked the best to cut fat...

Morning - Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal with 1% milk
    Lunch - Chicken Caesar salad with some side fruit or veggies
    Afternoon snack - Beef jerky or string cheese
    Dinner - Half a rotisserie chicken with salad
    After dinner - Maybe some lunch meat, scoop of peanut butter or protein shake

I ate this plan almost every day for a few weeks and literally my jeans were falling off my @$$, lost that much of the waistline that quick. And I haven't gotten almost any smaller size wise, just losing fat.

And i'll share again from personal experience that people overstate how much protein you need. 200-300g is too much if you ask me. It can reak havoc on your stomach and you wind up not needing that much anyway. I've gotten huge from one protein shake a day and stacking up on my chicken breast.
    Yeah I don't do supps too big. I have opticen in the AM bc I'm too damn lazy to wake up early enough to even pour a bowl of cereal and I have a protein shake sometime throughout the day so thats about 90g right there the rest is whole food. I tried going for 150-200g/day for protein but I found my recovery time was just ridiculous and after about a week I had such a huge craving for meat I ended up eating a tuna steak washing it down with a protein shake and followed up with a can of tuna later that night. I'm gunna give your outline a shot see how it works it just seems to be such a huge balancing act between food intake and recovery for me.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

And lets just say, that the body responds so quickly to low carb diets. 3 months later I haven't lost much weight (235-229) but the fat decrease results are great. I went from 25% to now around 17% without doing much if any cardio, just lifting weights and watching diet.
    Abe, I know you're a good dude and I'm not calling your credibility into question. Just the lack of accuracy that seems to always go hand in hand with the low carb phenomena.

235 lbs @ 25% = 58.75 fat 176.25 LBM

229 lbs @ 17% = 38.93 fat 190.07 LBM

This means you lost 20lbs of fat while gaining 14lbs of lean mass while losing 6lbs of bodyweight in 3 months. I know you are estimating, but still.

There is only one reason to limit carbs, and that is to control hunger. Anything else is needless torture and torment.

Edit: To add to my last statement. Unless you are carb cycling which I'm all for.
    Last edited by Holto; 09-03-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Only happy when bulking radioheadhead's Avatar
    I coulda told you this just from personal experience. The ONLY thing that works for me burning fat/losing weight is cutting my carbs down dramatically. And it works without fail...
    trying a carb-cycle starting today!

hi carb day- 200 g carbs
    med carb day- 150
    lo carb day- 100

putting my 2 hi-carb days per week on my hargest workout days (legs 1 day, then deads/ back the other)
    putting my two medium carb days on my other two workout days (chest & tris, then shoulders & access work)
    then 3 lo carb days per week

doing ~350g protein per day (I weigh 215lb, going for 195lb)
    Height: 6' weight:197
    BF%: ~12%?

bench: 280 x 1
    squat: 370 x 1
    dead: 360 x 1

goal: 225 @ < 10% bodyfat

Abe, I know you're a good dude and I'm not calling your credibility into question. Just the lack of accuracy that seems to always go hand in hand with the low carb phenomena.

This means you lost 20lbs of fat while gaining 14lbs of lean mass while losing 6lbs of bodyweight in 3 months. I know you are estimating, but still.

There is only one reason to limit carbs, and that is to control hunger. Anything else is needless torture and torment.
    Hmm, i don't get how that works...those calculations are a bit out of my realm, but that kind of seems more hypothetical. I mean I guess in THEORY the losing 20lbs of body fat and 14lbs mass thing may be an estimation or technical equivalency. Dunno. As for the body fat thing, i did one of those hand held things at the gym which aren't that accurate, so i may have been less than 25 to begin with or maybe im more than 17 now.

But i also stated in a previous thread a while back that I had a problem losing WEIGHT but not fat...i was trying to cut down to 225 back then but could barely lose a single pound but was somehow losing fat. Think my metabolism may have come a little out of wack when i got older.

If i showed u before an after pics, youd see someone with a lot less fat but not a lot less size...ill have to flic up a new pic.

Hmm, i don't get how that works...those calculations are a bit out of my realm, but that kind of seems more hypothetical. I mean I guess in THEORY the losing 20lbs of body fat and 14lbs mass thing may be an estimation or technical equivalency. Dunno. As for the body fat thing, i did one of those hand held things at the gym which aren't that accurate, so i may have been less than 25 to begin with or maybe im more than 17 now.

But i also stated in a previous thread a while back that I had a problem losing WEIGHT but not fat...i was trying to cut down to 225 back then but could barely lose a single pound but was somehow losing fat. Think my metabolism may have come a little out of wack when i got older.

If i showed u before an after pics, youd see someone with a lot less fat but not a lot less size...ill have to flic up a new pic.
    Yeah man it sucks there is no really cheap, easy accurate way to measure fat. I've used those electronic things a lot and I think they are really only good to know you're going in the right direction.

My calculations are like this:

Bodyweight of 100lbs @ 10%.

100 * .10 = fat mass
    100 * .90 = lean mass

Edit: To add to my last statement. Unless you are carb cycling which I'm all for.
    I bet you missed me.

I've done some great recomp feats in my time, especially when I went from doing things very wrong to very right (for me, a very relative sentiment). My measurements are mostly meaningless to me though, aside from looking cool.

During my best diets, I lost 0lbs, but I was significantly leaner once all was said and done. Carb cycling (in different formats) was always the key.

LuNa
    Not to steal this thread or anything, but i am carbcycling at the moment. Do any of you count veggies as significant carbs? At the moment i am really living on the veggies so limiting them would make me a lot hungrier. Also, i understand there is a difference between veggies, from green and fibrous veg to others. I eat a lot of carrots, do i have to count them?

Quote Originally Posted by LuNalicious View Post
    Not to steal this thread or anything, but i am carbcycling at the moment. Do any of you count veggies as significant carbs? At the moment i am really living on the veggies so limiting them would make me a lot hungrier. Also, i understand there is a difference between veggies, from green and fibrous veg to others. I eat a lot of carrots, do i have to count them?
    Green vegetables I don't bother counting. Broccoli is somewhere around 40% fibrous, where surprisingly carrots are about 30%. Not too far off, really. I think the key factor is that a carrot will have more sugars than most of your green selections (save cucumbers, perhaps). Carrots are about 5% sugar by weight and broccoli is somewhere around 1.7%.

If you're eating "a lot", then I'd say count them (is your skin orange yet?). If it's just a snack, I'd not worry too much about them on most days. If it's a no carb day, perhaps just skip the carrots.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    Green vegetables I don't bother counting. Broccoli is somewhere around 40% fibrous, where surprisingly carrots are about 30%. Not too far off, really. I think the key factor is that a carrot will have more sugars than most of your green selections (save cucumbers, perhaps). Carrots are about 5% sugar by weight and broccoli is somewhere around 1.7%.

If you're eating "a lot", then I'd say count them (is your skin orange yet?). If it's just a snack, I'd not worry too much about them on most days. If it's a no carb day, perhaps just skip the carrots.
    Thanks for the reply. Not orange yet

I too started carb cycling about 3 weeks ago, and I'm about to take some more recent pictures to track my progress.

On Mon, Wed, Fri I try to aim for around 250 - 300 g of carbs. On tues & thurs I aim for as close to 0 g as possible, and on the weekends just try for low carbs without going too nuts one way or the other.

So far it seems like I'm able to see a few little things here and there I didn't notice before, but I'll wait until the 6 week mark before I get my hopes up.

I bet you missed me.

I've done some great recomp feats in my time, especially when I went from doing things very wrong to very right (for me, a very relative sentiment). My measurements are mostly meaningless to me though, aside from looking cool.

During my best diets, I lost 0lbs, but I was significantly leaner once all was said and done. Carb cycling (in different formats) was always the key.
    If I'm not mistaken you have a degree in math?

The only way what you're proposing is feasible is if you were barely training prior to the recomp. Unless you have really low expectations for a cut. When I cut I drop 1lb/week, every week until I'm done. I can't put on 1lb of LMB per week, whilst dropping fat. I doubt anyone can, unassisted.

So you may have had some awesome results from going from barely training and eating poorly to training hard and dieting diligently, but I'm not sure what that proves.

If I'm not mistaken you have a degree in math?

The only way what you're proposing is feasible is if you were barely training prior to the recomp. Unless you have really low expectations for a cut. When I cut I drop 1lb/week, every week until I'm done. I can't put on 1lb of LMB per week, whilst dropping fat. I doubt anyone can, unassisted.

So you may have had some awesome results from going from barely training and eating poorly to training hard and dieting diligently, but I'm not sure what that proves.
    I've done it during all shades of fitness. It is what it is. I don't need you to believe it for it to be correct, that would be in the realm of quantum physics. As someone who is so attached to the 2nd law of thermodynamics, I am sure you don't believe in that mumbo-jumbo.

I've done it during all shades of fitness.
    Done what? What exactly are you claiming to have accomplished? All you've stated is that you looked better. My whole point is the mystery of low-carb success seems to always evade real quantification. You seem to be supporting that.

Holto, thought you might appreciate the following discussion -

http://forums.jpfitness.com/diet-nut...reduction.html

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    Holto, thought you might appreciate the following discussion -

http://forums.jpfitness.com/diet-nut...reduction.html
    very good read. thanks for the link