Thread: I bench with db's and I am going to grap the bb today... need some help

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

I bench with db's and I am going to grap the bb today... need some help

I have been benching 90-95lb db's for reps or 4-8. I want to do some bb benching today and I would like to know where to start. I was thinking between 210 and 225 but I have no clue what I would bench with a bb.

Any ideas?

I think you'll find that pretty easy/comfortable, depending on how many reps you're shooting for.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Start low and just gradually increase. I wouldn't throw on 210 just like that; though you most probably can do it, I would take a few lighter sets (bar, 135, 155 etc) to just get used to it and get down the form.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 11-17-2004 at 11:40 AM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Start low and just gradually increase. I wouldn't throw on 210 just like that; though you most probably can do it, I would take a few lighter sets (bar, 135, 155 etc) to just get used to it and get down the form.
    ya thats sounds good :withstupi

I also agree with canadian crippler. If you rush into fairly heavy sets you risk a shoulder/chest injury. Gradually increase the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Soloist
    I have been benching 90-95lb db's for reps or 4-8. I want to do some bb benching today and I would like to know where to start. I was thinking between 210 and 225 but I have no clue what I would bench with a bb.

Any ideas?
    Start with 135, then 185, then put on anywhere from 205-225 and see what you can do.

I didn't mean don't warm up with 135- I meant that 225 for working sets will probably feel pretty good, if not a little light.

I usually add 35 lbs to my DB weight to get my BB weight. So, 225 would be right about right for you for reps.

I would start with 135 slowly work you way up. Let your body get use to BB presses. Willing to bet in 2 weeks time your body will adapt then go for 225+++