Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any mechanics around? Thinking about buying a camaro

Any mechanics around? Thinking about buying a camaro

I'm on my way back to california in a week and I need a car when I touchdown. I've been looking around ebay and I found this camaro that I kind of like. Thing is, I've had a lot of terrible luck with cars. Anyone around here know anything about the characteristics of 89 camaros? It's blue booked really low (2000), has a lot of miles (120000), and I guess the guy juiced it a little for the track. It comes with some spare parts including posi for the rear but i dont know. Tell me what you guys think..I likey

I have no idea what any of the parts that he put into it are worth. As well as the parts that come with it ;| and 120k miles is a lot..

Quote Originally Posted by savdout209
    Anyone around here know anything about the characteristics of 89 camaros?
    One characteristic of 89 camaros is that they are almost 16 years old.

Unless you have money to burn on a toy I'd think twice.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

How much money are you willing to spend on the car? Whenever you're car shopping you need to determine that first-then you can start looking. I've owned a few before and I would be looking at a 4 gen if I were you(93'+).

They body looks like it is in decent shape, and it seems he took care of other stuff nicely.
    So, the biggest things you have to worry about with a car getting older are rusty gas tanks, brake lines, and floor boards. (other than the obvious powertrain questions).
    He said he replaced the gas tank. So, you're good there.
    Also, he replaced the radiator.
    If he doesn't vouch for the condition of the floorboards, I would email him and ask for it.
    Break lines are hard to determine without very close inspection.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

Is is less than you spend on food in a week? If so, buy it, otherwise, forget it.

There's no reason to get a 16 year old camaro when much newer ones can be had pretty cheap.

hahnb: 3k max..I'd like to spend about 2500 on it

zen: he says if the buyer uses the 'buy it now' option ($3500), he'll include a new tank..along with some other parts ;/ Anyway, thanks for your reply and I'll ask him about the brakes/floor boards

Simplistic
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    One characteristic of 89 camaros is that they are almost 16 years old.

Unless you have money to burn on a toy I'd think twice.
    This is the type of advice that wise old people give

I'd take it.

I do have the option to borrow my sisters boyfriends car for awhile which is pretty new. That being said, if you guys think its worth 2500-3000 I'll probably grab it. My friend had an older maro about the same year with an ls1 in it and damn..i fell in love ..If i could snag it cheap i could garage it for a few months untill i could earn enough to get it nice and healthy. I like the rims it has on it as well..I looked them up and their worth about 1300 new not including the rubber. I sent him an email about the rust issues and asked him for some better pics of the rims so i can see what shape they're in. I dunno, i may i may not. Im a young impulsive **** so i probably will ;P

Quote Originally Posted by savdout209
    I do have the option to borrow my sisters boyfriends car for awhile which is pretty new. That being said, if you guys think its worth 2500-3000 I'll probably grab it. My friend had an older maro about the same year with an ls1 in it and damn..i fell in love ..If i could snag it cheap i could garage it for a few months untill i could earn enough to get it nice and healthy. I like the rims it has on it as well..I looked them up and their worth about 1300 new not including the rubber. I sent him an email about the rust issues and asked him for some better pics of the rims so i can see what shape they're in. I dunno, i may i may not. Im a young impulsive **** so i probably will ;P
    You are totally insane spending that kind of cash on that car.

Edit:
    KBB reports a private party trade value of about $1000. Which is still more than I expected.
    Last edited by MixmasterNash; 11-17-2004 at 02:56 PM.

Wait a minute. It's bluebooked at $2000 and your thinking about spending $2500-$3000 on it? I wouldn't buy it. Save your money and get something you know will last you. You might get lucky with this one, then again you might not. There's no way of really knowing buying it over ebay.

So what happens when every other month you need more work done on it? Can you afford it? From your last post it doesn't seem like it. It's 16 years old and has 120k on it.

Does it come with a box of duct tape and body epoxy too?

If you like old muscle-type cars so much, just go rent one every other weekend for a couple months to get it out of your system. You'll buy this thing for $3500 and then spend double that keeping it road worthy. And once you realize that and need to buy something cheap that'll last a long time this thing will have no trade in or resale value at all.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 11-17-2004 at 02:56 PM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    If you like old muscle-type cars so much, just go rent one every other weekend for a couple months to get it out of your system.
    If it was only that easy..

but you guys are right its not really realistic. I dont have the money to be taking a chance on it.

Quote Originally Posted by zen
    So, the biggest things you have to worry about with a car getting older are rusty gas tanks, brake lines, and floor boards. (other than the obvious powertrain questions).
    In all honesty, the biggest thing he has to worry about is that it's an American car, ESPECIALLY and American car from the 80's. I would never wish one of those things on my worst enemy. Try looking around for a MKIII Supra, I'm sure you could find a decent turbo one for a little more, but it would be worth it.

I wannabebig!
    :withstupi

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonl
    In all honesty, the biggest thing he has to worry about is that it's an American car, ESPECIALLY and American car from the 80's. I would never wish one of those things on my worst enemy. Try looking around for a MKIII Supra, I'm sure you could find a decent turbo one for a little more, but it would be worth it.
    Non-sense. I could rebuild a small block chevy V8 in my sleep. And the parts are cheaper and more available.
    Don't ask me to fix up a rotary engine, or some girbil motor squeezed into a japanese ****box engine compartment.
    But as you say, it is american, which is why I pointed out some of the things you want to look for on an American car from the 80's.
    Last edited by zen; 11-17-2004 at 03:34 PM.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

I pointed out some of the things you want to look for on an American car from the 80's.
    Yeah, the whole car!

Honestly though, why do you think there are so many parts availible for an American V8... Becuase they suck so bad!!!! My friend and I bought a "****box" Japanese car for the hell of it for a few bucks with around 300k on the clock and it ran like a champ and we couldn't kill that car. It was a 79 Corolla, RWD 5-speed beater and that was THE toughest car in the world. Lol, I drove it about 15 miles in first gear only going past the redline most of the time and it kept on ticking. We jumped it and abused it but it still ran great a year later when someone bought it off us. I don't think any American car could do that.

They body looks like it is in decent shape, and it seems he took care of other stuff nicely.
    He said he replaced the gas tank. So, you're good there.
    Also, he replaced the radiator.
    If he doesn't vouch for the condition of the floorboards, I would email him and ask for it.
    Break lines are hard to determine without very close inspection.
    Don't forget the frame!!! Mines much older but it needed welding. Oh yeah check for bondo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonl
    Yeah, the whole car!

Honestly though, why do you think there are so many parts availible for an American V8... Becuase they suck so bad!!!! My friend and I bought a "****box" Japanese car for the hell of it for a few bucks with around 300k on the clock and it ran like a champ and we couldn't kill that car. It was a 79 Corolla, RWD 5-speed beater and that was THE toughest car in the world. Lol, I drove it about 15 miles in first gear only going past the redline most of the time and it kept on ticking. We jumped it and abused it but it still ran great a year later when someone bought it off us. I don't think any American car could do that.
    OMG, you just named the most famously durable car ever. The late 70's, Early 80's Corollas were amazing, particularly their powertrain. Engines getting over 300,000 miles on those cars were the rule, not the exception, and that was back in the day when you couldn't get 100,000 miles out of a powertrain without service (timing chains, carbeurators, camshafts with wiped lobes, etc).

Anyway, you can find smallblock V8 parts easier than you can find a bigmac, and that's not to mention the racing stores.

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/r...arch_type=used

There's a search for 93+ camaros from auto trader. You can find a much newer model for 3k.

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/r...arch_type=used

There's a search for 93+ camaros from auto trader. You can find a much newer model for 3k.
    Exactly. This is the most pertinent info. SBC are good for parts availibility and cost, and relatively easy to work on. It's the 89 chassis that seen 120k miles and "weekend racing" that's the problem.

HahnB: Thanks for that link

well can you grow a mullet???

youre an idiot

sh*t!@ I won that auction. For some reason I dont thin he's going to sell it at $1026 though