Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What height (for guys) is considered short?

What height (for guys) is considered short?

For guys, what height is Considered short?
    I have always felt short, i am about 5'10
    ...yet i stand next to some and i feel tall lol.

So what height for a man, is considered short...By you anyway.
    My Journal!

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength."
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

"I just use my muscles as a conversation piece, like someone walking a cheetah down 42nd Street."
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

"It's simple, if it jiggles, it's fat."
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

Any thing less than 5'7" is short
    but then i am 5'7", so ofcourse ill say that.

Well i guess its all relative,so you can't really have a distinct 'short' cut off point, but id probably say that 5'9" or less is short, 5'10" to 6' is about average, (among most of my friends anyway) and 6'+ i would consider tall.

Banned
    I think there's varying degrees of "shortness", but I'd say it starts around 5'9.

RichLockyer
    Depends on what part of the world you live in.
    If I were in Kenya, I would feel short. If I were in Afghanistan, I'd feel pretty tall.

Typical American? I'd consider a guy short at 5'8. I do understand the feeling though. At 6'3", living in a world where 90% of the men I meet are around 5'10-6', I feel dwarfed when standing next to a guy who's 6'2" or taller... unless he's got chicken-arms, then he's gotta be 6'4" before he gets imposing

hah, so suppose i am average height...i can live with that.

As long as my body isn't small lol
    My Journal!

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength."
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

"I just use my muscles as a conversation piece, like someone walking a cheetah down 42nd Street."
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

"It's simple, if it jiggles, it's fat."
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

I wannabebig!
    ill say 5'7, but then again it will vary for everyone... usually the taller you are the higher the #.... im pretty sure if I was 7 ft tall 6'6 would be short to me

I'm 5'9" and offended that I may be considered short.

Banned
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ad/ad347.pdf

so, to inject some REALITY into the discussion about what's short and what's not...

The mean (average) height of American males is a bit more than 5'9".

Thus is the average height is 5'9", you'd have to be less than that to be considered short. I didn't check what the standard deviation was but I'd say you probably have to be less than 1 SD shorter than the mean to be considered short by any relevant standard. So lets say anything shorter than 5'8" is in the realm of 'short' for guys, and 5'8" - 5'10" is average-minus to average-plus in height.

so:

galileo: you are almost exactly average in height

Stackattack: you're on the short side of average. Sorry dude.

TheSicilian: you're not short. you're a bit above average. get over it. maybe you just have a lot of tall friends/acquaintances. hang out with more asians and hispanics; you'll feel taller (their average heights are much lower).

Being tall has lots of disadvantages. Hell, on the flight to Cuba for my vacation earlier this month, I barely fit in the damn seat; I was wishing I was 5'9" then, let me tell you!

5'11

so that makes you really short.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Woohoo, I'm not short by Tryska standards!

I think anything less than 6' is short.
    I'm 5'10 and always feel short, I wear boots with huge soles to get over my complex
    My friends call em Frankenstein boots, the probably give me an extra 2"

When I lived in Boston (4 years) I felt like a giant, everyone there was like 5'7 it seemed. In NJ everyone is 6'2 (it seems) and I feel like a midget
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 11-24-2004 at 09:45 AM.

geoff, let them laugh, I'm sure there are a lot of guys who wish they had an extra 2"!

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I'm 5'10", and I consider myself pretty average height.

I'd say 5'8" is where I'd start to call someone short. 6'1" is where I start to call someone tall. So 5'9" - 6'0" is average in my book.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

I'm 5'7... and I'm shorter them most of the guys I work with... the guys around here are about 5'9... and of course you have the extrems like a few 6'4-5 and even a 6'8.5 350 lbs guy....

Sure I might get hit with some "short" jokes... but then when I set this mother fAcker off, I'll be able to use the excuse that I had short man sindrome or what lame ass name you tall fackers use... hehe...

Honestly it's like your genetics... you can't change them, so STFU about it and get on with your life...

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    I think anything less than 6' is short.

In NJ everyone is 6'2 (it seems) and I feel like a midget
    You must live in giant world.

prolly the netherlands, with reinier.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Wannabebig Member
    I'm 5'-8", and Filipino - So in our country, I'm pretty much average (or maybe a tad above average) ...

But, I'm in the US now, so I'm below average...

I'm 5'9 and next to nearly all males I am short .....but strong

5'9" is average in the US. I guess anything below that can be considered "short."

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Hmm, I'd have to say it really doesn't matter. Short guys can always find shorter women. It just looks strange when a short guy is with a tall girl. I think 5' 11" is ok since that's my husbands height and I'm 5' 6" . If I were shorter a shorter guy would be ok even though I find big tall men more appealing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by muscle chic
    Hmm, I'd have to say it really doesn't matter. Short guys can always find shorter women. It just looks strange when a short guy is with a tall girl. I think 5' 11" is ok since that's my husbands height and I'm 5' 6" . If I were shorter a shorter guy would be ok even though I find big tall men more appealing.
    The discussion wasn't really about attracting the opposite sex, but if we're going to move it in that direction then I'll say this: Females have NO respect for short guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    The discussion wasn't really about attracting the opposite sex, but if we're going to move it in that direction then I'll say this: Females have NO respect for short guys.
    you ever heard of 4 foot pimpin my friend?...you have muuuch to learn

i never had a problem with height never bothered me if you're a good person we get along all is well that will do it for me i couldn't care less how tall you are
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

lol, that's just harsh. But it is true to some extent, shorter guys may have to try a little harder, or have something else going for them.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    i never had a problem with height never bothered me if you're a good person we get along all is well that will do it for me i couldn't care less how tall you are
    Honestly, I have never heard a girl say that before...there's a first time for everything.