Thread: Need help with running routine for a exam

Need help with running routine for a exam

Hey guys its been a while. Well I have been doing a bit of training lately getting in shape from my Correctional Officer class coming up in August. We will be doing a bit of PT during the week at class and I need to be in better shape than what I am now.

Our requirements to get in the class physically are a joke except for the running, I have to run 1.5 miles in 16 minutes which I can do but I will be pushing myself pretty hard to do so.

Keep in mind I'm around 290 pounds so running has never been my strong point lol.

Basically I am asking you guys how I can shave this time by 2-3 minutes? I have roughly 2 months to do this.
    Should I go for 1/4 mile intervals for a week and then the next week move up to 1/2 mile and so on? Or should I just got with speed training like sprinting uphill or something of the like?
    16, 262lb, 6'1
    Big 3
    BP - 295
    DL - 395
    Squat - 345
    Total - 1035

How long do you have to prepare? I would start by alternating running and walking, say, run 200 meters (or 1/8 mile, half a lap around a track), walk 100 meters, and repeat until you've done about 1.5-2 miles distance. Do this for a week. The following weak, increase the running to 300-400 meters (and by running, I mean jogging at a decent clip) and keep the walking distance the same. Keep progressing until you are no longer walking, or until you can run for a long duration (say 800m+) before walking. Getting to a point where you can jog a complete mile non-stop takes time, but it can be done in 4 weeks if you're consistent.

However, if you want to do well in this 1.5 mile test, you need to set your training sights at at least 2 miles. The added benefit is how much weight you will lose training. This would also be a good time to shore up your diet. Losing weight will only make the running, as well as so many other activities, easier.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneSauce View Post
    Hey guys its been a while. Well I have been doing a bit of training lately getting in shape from my Correctional Officer class coming up in August. We will be doing a bit of PT during the week at class and I need to be in better shape than what I am now.

Our requirements to get in the class physically are a joke except for the running, I have to run 1.5 miles in 16 minutes which I can do but I will be pushing myself pretty hard to do so.

Keep in mind I'm around 290 pounds so running has never been my strong point lol.

Basically I am asking you guys how I can shave this time by 2-3 minutes? I have roughly 2 months to do this.
    Should I go for 1/4 mile intervals for a week and then the next week move up to 1/2 mile and so on? Or should I just got with speed training like sprinting uphill or something of the like?
    I would honestly say a ten minute mile shouldn't be that tough in two months. More important for you is to find your pace... Chances are, if you go out at a pace too fast, you'll tank in minutes...

Right now, go out at a slow, easy jog. If you feel it's about right, go a bit slower. Jog at a pace where you can comfortably talk to someone next to you. That's your baseline... chances are, you can hold that for 15 minutes. Now figure out how fast you're going... and report back.

From there, we can maybe help you build a bit of a routine.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    I would honestly say a ten minute mile shouldn't be that tough in two months. More important for you is to find your pace... Chances are, if you go out at a pace too fast, you'll tank in minutes...

Right now, go out at a slow, easy jog. If you feel it's about right, go a bit slower. Jog at a pace where you can comfortably talk to someone next to you. That's your baseline... chances are, you can hold that for 15 minutes. Now figure out how fast you're going... and report back.

From there, we can maybe help you build a bit of a routine.
    Do I just need to do a comfortable jog for about 15 minutes and tell you how far I go in this time?

It feels like at the right pace I could jog forever but it would hurt my time tremendously, so I have to bump up the speed.
    16, 262lb, 6'1
    Big 3
    BP - 295
    DL - 395
    Squat - 345
    Total - 1035

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneSauce View Post
    Do I just need to do a comfortable jog for about 15 minutes and tell you how far I go in this time?

It feels like at the right pace I could jog forever but it would hurt my time tremendously, so I have to bump up the speed.
    Exactly. You might be surprised at how close to your target time this is... for me, a slow easy shuffle is about a 10-10:30 pace... the sort of thing that can be done all day long. Once you find that pace, that's your recovery/default pace. Not hard to train to incorporate a few bursts of speed into that pace and push yourself under the target time.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results