The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    well....yea. Heh. I need something to do beyond games in my evenings so i figure a little self torture beyond the gym should be good.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

45 min of suicides yesterday

It was much easier this time, my muscles bailed on me last week but yesterday they were strong until near the end, and it was just my endurance that sucked and that is what I'm working on.

I got my halloween costume finally, I'm going as Wong Fei Hung the kung fu legend. So I'll pwn any of your costumes...bitches... sadly I'm working before and during and after halloween so the next morning is going to be rough...soooo rough...but it'll be worth it, i'll go kung fu fighting on all the others and go booty bandit on the females...

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

I just watched Doom.

aw man its for the hardcore and nothing beats a nice little first person goodness for a good rampage. Plus the Rock is in it. And ladies with almost no support and nipples popping through.

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

I have had a problem lately getting to the gym. In my mind, I'm all set to go and a few hours later I'm like "oh, I'll just work out here". Yea, that lasts 15 min and hardly anything gets done...

I dont know whats been wrong with me lately, just the thought of going to the gym was making me immediately dismiss it out of my mind. I think part was that I felt weak and that I was going to have a crappy workout so it wasnt worth going. Well finally yesterday I did, it took 1600mg of ephedra to make myself believe I'd have the energy and holy sh!t, I had the energy.

Bi's and Back

Lat pull down : 100x8, 150x8, 180x5

cable row: 100x8, 130x8, 160x8

one arm row: 25x8, 35x8, 55x8

ez curl : 45x8, 65x8, 75x4

then immediately into db curls

db curls: 30x4, 25x3, 15x6 (I did them right after each other, no rest)

machine curl: half stackx8, 3/4 stackx6, stackx2.5

shrug: 90x15+hold, 140x12+hold

my muscles still have no endurance, they just give out when they're done...I dont like that. On the plus side, my diet while not great, my calorie intake is good so I'm down to ~234 for doing next to nothing... Hopefully I'll go more now. I have no excuse so I need to get to stepping...I'm about to smack myself like a red headed step child who dirtied her sunday dress.

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

My lat pulls suck..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Banned
    That's some heavy azz cable rowing!

I would imagine that cutting is difficult and is not as exciting as bulking. However, you need to stick with it man! The quicker you cut the sooner you will be able to bulk Looking good, man, keep hauling your ass into the gym and stay on that diet
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

As you all know I've been slacking by my lack of journal entries and I'm crying how I cant find motivation. Well the truth is, I work 12 hours a day, 2 of those hours are really just me sitting around until I'm allowed to go home. Then when I can go home, it's on the other side of town. So I've broken down. There's a huge studio style apartment where managers used to live on premise but its nearly empty with just some boxes. I'm going to buy db free weights the good old adjustable size for maybe 150$. A friend is going through a divorce and is giving me 300lb free weights an olympic bar and a bench press bench that adjusts to act as a squat rack. Hopefully I'll get all those soon but until then I'm going to work the dumbbells and buy a flat bench. Since I'm waiting an hour and a half after the office closes, I can spend it constructively instead of watching the simpsons playing old school games like worms armeggedon..man I love that game. Updates coming soon, will probably buy once I get back from chicago.

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

well i finally set up the weight set, i have a few more things to buy but the weights and dumbells are finally up. I tested them tonight with biceps

Curl : 10x8, 15x8, 20x8, 25x8, 30x8, 35x7

Hammer : 30x6, 25x4+ hold 15seconds

That was it , just burned them out real good for a start, I work at that location sun, mon and weds so those are my workout days with weights. I also bought some guys DVDs he's an ex UFC champion, he retired undefeated in the UFC, I forget his name but his nick name is 'lil evil' his upper and lower body plyometrics are really good, so I'm going to do some of that on my off days. It's time to kick back in.

oh and on a side note, I just wrapped up a good 18 acres for 200k and the business **** is moving forward...pwnd

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Worked out again tonight, starting to get into a schedule, basically i work at that location I lift iron. it's starting out pretty weak I cant believe how much I suck, well here's what was done tonight.

Shoulders and half a tri:

Shoulder press: 40x10, 45x10, 50x8

upright row: 65x10, 85x8, 95x8

lat raise burn out: 20x10, 20x8, 20x7

and here is half the tricep attempt.

french bb press: 65x10, 75x8, 75x8

Not much, bare in mind I'm taking extra efforts to raise and lower controled when done because its a tileish flooring and I cant crack any of them or the bossat work will be unhappy, I'm buying the nice rubber matting next week probably so I can be more abusive and go closer to failure, I also need to build up some endurance in the body, this passed weekend a lady friend showed up and i was worn out pretty quickly, i was only up for 5 times in a day as opposed to the usual 7 or 8 that's unlike me. and doesnt make me happy. moving onward...i also started the riftwar saga and wanted to get back to it, I have less dicipline when I have a good book lying around. went out and found some more of other series that have new ones out, I have a good 2 weeks worth of reading and since i'm pulling 60+ hours this week, what better way to spend it...

on a side note, I got picked up tonight in the bookstore by a cute woman...that helps the ol' ego.

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

good job on getting picked up, and nice shoulder effort as well.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

See the first page on an update of whats going on.

My maintanence is around 2800-3000 cals, I usually eat around 2500-2800, I found that if I want to drop weight I can but working out is out, so I decided to eat just below maintanence and include more carbs so I have the energy to lift.

Yesterday:

LEGS:

Squat -

BWx10, 45x10, 135x10, 155x10, 185x8

Good Mornings + Squat + Overhead press (In that order per lift; superset?)

45x10, 65x10, 95x8

Calf Machine (didnt look at weights)

1/4 rack x 10, 1/2 rack x 10, 3/4 rack x 10, 3/4 rack + 3 x 10

Overhand pull ups

BWx5, BWx4, BWx3

Hanging leg curl (abs)

BWx10

I've changed the way I lift, I now do all lifts up and down slowly to get the most out of it. It hurts losing all my strength from 2 years ago but I'm determined to get back into it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

During the week is HIIT training at the moment I'm working on increasing my speed.

I go 30 min.

5 min warmup walk/light jog

1-1:30 min run 7.5-7.8 mph
    2-3 min slow down

I sweat something good and the energy I get from HIIT is amazing. I messed up this week and did legs on sunday instead of Friday before this week so I cant do any training today or tomorrow I'm sure, I'm really sore, sore like being in prison and dropping the soap. But usually it'll be legs and shoulders on Friday and rest of the body on Sunday then HIIT on Mon and Weds, that'll give me 3 days rest and maybe I'll eventually get up to 3 days HIIT as the body adapts.
    Last edited by crazedwombat; 12-24-2006 at 10:32 AM.

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Todays work out... well it almost sucked, half the equipment was under wraps because they're expanding the golds where I am. It's cool as hell, going to get a sauna and they're adding more REAL equipment like racks and such. Although they're going a little fruity by introducing a cardio cenima, basically they have a room where they will play movies or something by projection and have cardio machines..however most of the movies will have to suck and not be 'pumpin me up' because they'll have to be G rated. any gym that will play disney sh it does not belong. Anyways, WORKOUT!

LEGS again, plus filler

2 min bike warmup

SQUATS:

BWx10, 165x10, 185x10, 195x8

GOOD MORNINGS/SQUAT/SHOULDER PRESS

45x10, 65x10, 95x6, 115x10 (last set was just Good mornings)

overhand Pull ups - struggled for 5

Hanging ab curls - getting better with 15. I noticed a huge improvement and in feeling stronger after just doing it the last time. I expect it to get much better going on.

I couldnt do calves, the gym has about 4 different types of calf machines but they were all under wraps..they didnt want to give up any more of their precious cardio space. Thats it for today, tomorrow is xmas and I'm not at home but tuesday is chest and arms day..plus more shoulders.

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Wednesday Workout

Finally upper body:

DB Bench (Listing DB used, not combined total): 50x10, 60x10, 70x8

DB Incline: 30x10, 35x10, 45x8

DB Curl: 20x12, 25x10, 30x10, 35x6

Overhead DB Triceps: 30x10, 40x10, 45x8

20 min Shadow Thai Boxing

I've noticed that I've always done my bench wrong. I guess ego had me from the beginning. I always flexed my shoulders first then my chest, which is why it never developed like it should have. So I have to start from the beginning again and do it right. I flex the chest until its tight and then the shoulders assist. I'll see how much better my gains will be.

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Friday, Legs again. I'm raping my legs as much as I can. and its showing.

Bike warmup 2 min fast

Squat: 45x10, 135x10, 185x6, 205x3, 225x3(New old PR)

Goodmornings/Squat

45x10, 95x10 (shoulder pressed at end of squat), 115x7

Hanging Ab curl: BWx10, BWx8

The gym is still under construction so calves were out again today..grrrrr. I was limited but with one squat rack I took it for most my workout...good thing its the middle of the day. Also, 225 is my old PR before I hurt my back... it may have been 235 but if so I'll have it next time. That wasnt even my 1RM. Although it wasnt too far, I could probably have gotten 240 but I'm not rushing it. So for all of you who read this (1 or 2) here we are. I'm going to minnesota this weekend to see the lady I may be starting something with (we met on vacation in the carribean). I'll be in Indy the next 2 weeks since I'm not coming back next weekend. That'll give me solid time to scope out the Y thats about 7 blocks away and put in some good gym time. I've gotten sloppy with my diet, I need to put that in check. Of course carb loading (pizza yesterday) has helped with energy levels but I've gotten past keeping it moderate. I'm pulling that in check starting now. RAWR, it's good to be back.

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

So I stayed in Indy this weekend and checked out a gym, mapquested it, it's officially .86 miles away. About 7 city blocks, which is cool with me. Bigger yet, on my way there I found a shoe store and since I was in GREAT need of new shoes I strolled in. I expected the "here's 2 models to choose from, the rest we dont carry in that size.' Yea well she leads me over to new balance and says that in all their shoes they carry sizes 14-16. I nearly wet myself. I have issues just trying to find one pair my size (14/15) without ordering them online. So I picked up a pair, reenforced running shoes, apparentally a lot of tech went into them. They're made for guys that weigh over 190+ lbs. Which I do. They're hot looking too. So, anyways, I make it to the gym after that and pay my 8$ for the day. Its in an old ass building. Only 1 squat rack but 2 smiths . The weights are in the basement and the cardio is on the main floor in some dusty ass room. The locker rooms are also in the basement with an open 'dark prison' style shower room. They have some machines that arent very common though, such as a cybex Tbar row.

LEG/BACK DAY:

WARMUP - 2 min on bike (already walked almost a mile for warmup.)

SQUAT:

BWx10, 135x10, 185x8, 225x5

GOODMORNINGS/SQUAT:
    (back was a little sore from squats...I think my form is slightly off, leaning a little too far forward)

45x10, 95x10, 115x8

CALF RAISES: (Done on a step up machine where you hold the handles. I didnt have anything else so I threw on weight and worked the hell out of my calves.)

1/4stackx10, 1/2stackx10, 3/4+3stackx6 with 2-3 second squeezes at top of rep.

This also worked my grip strength having to hold onto the handles. Good pump on it.

Lat Pull Downs: 60x10, 80x10, 120x7 (As with chest, I've realized I've been doing them wrong and was involving the shoulders too much)

TBAR ROW: (By this point my lower back is crying and I couldnt do much more. I dont know how much the actual lever weights so I'll just put on weights.)

25x10, 45x10, 80x8

So walking back to my hotel I realized I wasnt wearing my watch. I can barely move my legs and I'm halfway back so I struggle to hurry back to the gym and run/collapse downstairs to see if anyone took my watch I must have left in my locker. I get there and it's not there. I was pissed. So I'm digging through my back just to be sure. It's not there. Then I remember that I put them in my old pair of shoes so I wouldnt forget them and have to walk back. Saddness. I still had .8 mile to get back to the hotel. I had to get food on the way back too. It was sad and pathetic watching me hobble back but I'm damned sore on back and legs so I'm happy too.

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

So every friday night I'm in town I play 2 solid hours of wallyball. For those that dont know what it is, it's volleyball in a raquet ball court. It's a blast and you get to use the walls to angle change their asses. Plus the ball is lighter so you can hit it harder. Well anyways, I injured my toe somehow. I hairline factured it YEARS ago maybe 10 years ago and that's it, well now its giving me the same pain but I dont think it's broken as I can still move it and such. But I cant put a lot of weight or pressure on it. As such I'm stuck not working out for the week. I'm still going to try and play this Friday and see how it does. If it does well then squat will be on saturday. I'm also going to work in a plyometric routine in. Here it is.

Plyometrics Routine
    =============

LEGS
    --------
    Platform Jumps – 30 sec - http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/PlatformDepthJump.html
    Platform Vertical – 30 sec - http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/VerticalDepthJump.html
    Platform Long – 30 sec - http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/LongDepthJump.html
    Box Jumps – 30 sec - http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/BoxJumps.html
    Break – 60 sec
    Long Jumps – 30 sec - http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/LongJumps.html
    Vertical Jump – 30 sec - http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/VerticalJumps.html
    Box Jump March – 30 sec - http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/BoxJumpMarch.html
    Box March (High) -30 sec - http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/BoxMarchHigh.html
    Box Match (Low) – 30 sec - http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/BoxMarchLow.html
    Break – 60 sec
    Barrier Lateral Jump- 30 sec - http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/BarrierLateralJump.html
    Box Lateral Jump – 30 sec - http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/BoxLateralJump.html
    Box Lateral Shuffle – 30 sec - http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/BoxLateralShuffle.html
    Break – 60 sec

Total Work Time – 360 sec (6 min)
    Total Rest Time – 180 sec (3 min)
    Total Time – 540 sec (9min)

CORE
    --------
    Med Ball Seated Twist – 60 sec - http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/MBSeatedTwist.html
    Med Ball Stand Twist – 60 sec - http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/MBStandingTwist.html
    Break – 90 sec
    Med Ball Seated Throw – 60 sec - http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/MBSeatedSideThrow.html
    Med Ball Sit-up – 30 sec - http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/MBSitUp.html
    Break – 90 sec
    Depth Push-ups – 30 sec - http://www.exrx.net/Plyometrics/DepthPushUp.html
    Break – 60 sec
    Push-ups Failure
    Break – 120 sec

Total Work Time – 270 sec (4.50 min)
    Total Rest Time – 360 sec (6 min)
    Total Time – 630 sec (10.50 min)

Grand Total Time:
    Work – 630 sec (10.50 min)
    Rest – 540 sec (9 min)
    Total – 1170 sec (19.50 min)

Repeat it twice and BOOM. done. 40 min of good workout. I am somewhat proud of it so rip it apart!
    Total Workout Time = 2340 sec (39 min)

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

I didnt post an upper body workout and I forgot what I did...so thats skipped on posting here but that's ok, I'll post yesterdays crap workout and todays gloriousness.

Yesterday Chest/Arms

DB Bench:

40x10, 60x8, 80x4, 90x3 - I'm sore today. My 1RM from before I hurt my back was 105, 15 short...mmmm muscle memory.

Standing DB Curl - 30x10, 30x6, 40x4 They're a little sore but not by much.

Told you that workout sucked.

I did do 15min stretching and 20 min Thai Boxing

Todays Workout

2 min Bike warmup

Squat:

BWx10, 135x8, 185x8, 225x6, 245x4 NEW PR!! I'm now squatting my weight, that's a goal reached! PLUS my form was good but setting the bar high on my shoulders made me need to use my back more at the end of the lift, not that that's fixed, form is great from what I can tell and I feel it good too.

Goodmornings (knees bent first time doing so)

45x10, 95x8, 115x4

RACKPULLS (First time trying them)

135x8, 185x8, 225x6, 275x4 I could have done more but my grip gave out, I used to DL 335 and my grip was strong...I hate it that its weak..oh well something to work out.

BB ROW: (First time on these too)

95x6, 135x8, 155x8 I started them too soon and my grip still sucked.

CALF RAISES MACHINE

1/2stackx8, 3/4stackx8, Full stackx8 all had 1 second squeezes at the top and I finished out with a hold to near failure.

Lat pulldowns:

1/4stackx8, 1/2stackx6, 3/4stackx5

Well, that's it, it felt really good, plus some new PRs and lifts that are making me feel strong again, I have straps, I might use those for the future heavier lifts and then farmer walk at the end to burn out my forearms. Some standard lifts that I'm doing for the first time, but I've been reading and learning and pulling together some solid workouts. I'll stick with this one for awhile.

Oh while I didnt rip any during working out, I was all gasy, but not the nice gasey, I mean the silent but pure death...like rotting tuna and a used necropheliacs victim. pure death.

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -