Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decline bench press, worth it???

Hybrid View

Decline bench press, worth it???

Is it worth me doing decline bench press? I mean is it considered a valuable exercise? At the moment I do flat and incline, with an assortment of dumbell excercises. I'm thinking of incorporating decline in as well.
    Has anyone had any success with this exercise?

Hello
    i'd do weighted chest dips, once you master the form you'll really hit chest well trust me.
    They fit in perfectly after flat and incline when your chest is nice and pumped

Flat bench in a powerlifting style is a near equivalent. Dips are a perfectly suitable replacement. Decline is the most dangerous and should be done with a spotter or in a rack.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Flat bench in a powerlifting style is a near equivalent. Dips are a perfectly suitable replacement. Decline is the most dangerous and should be done with a spotter or in a rack.
    Decline DB is dangerous, not BB

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    How can I put this? NO.

You're wrong.

Decline barbell is dangerous because, if dropped, the bar will roll onto your neck. Your chin is a nice stop, so it will come to rest on your wind pipe. Indeed, it is one of the MOST dangerous gym exercises. Reasonable possibility of occuring x very severe consequences = danger. This is why you should alway do declines with a spotter, either made of metal or flesh and bone.

How can I put this? NO.

You're wrong.

Decline barbell is dangerous because, if dropped, the bar will roll onto your neck. Your chin is a nice stop, so it will come to rest on your wind pipe. Indeed, it is one of the MOST dangerous gym exercises. Reasonable possibility of occuring x very severe consequences = danger. This is why you should alway do declines with a spotter, either made of metal or flesh and bone.
    Sorry bro, real gym experience tells me decline DB is way more dangerous. Stabilizing heavy DB's on a decline is extremely difficult especially once you run out of energy. The DB starts wobbling around and chances are it might fall right on your head. Who the heck drops barbells? I have gotten stuck before on BB decline. I just layed the bar on my chest and waiting for my friend to pick it up. No big deal.

How can I put this? NO.

You're wrong.

You can **** yourself up on almost every exercise. I wouldn't replace it with another exercise just because it is "most dangerous." If you're dumb enough to do it, then you live and learn.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    You can **** yourself up on almost every exercise. I wouldn't replace it with another exercise just because it is "most dangerous." If you're dumb enough to do it, then you live and learn.
    Well, I agree, and the point is that chances of acute, life threatning injury are very low in a gym. However, of all exercises that one may do, bb bench pressing, and particularly decline bench, is the exercise most linked to life threatning injury.

That said, strap on some weight and do some dips. Closed chain exercises rule! And if you want to be truly strong, do them on gymnastics rings.

Why is decline most dangerous? I don't do em but was thinking of starting them as a replacement for flat bench for a while.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Born -> Ireland, college @ Upenn, Philadelphia. Back in Dublin
    I would not say i've had sucess, i just throw it into the mix every 3 weeks or so to do something different. It is not like i try to increase my Decline bench max or anything. If you like it, do it, if not leave it. You most likely will not see a difference, in the end of the day.
    Start 7` @ 244lbs. (1/Sept/04) --> Bulked 7` @ 277lbs. (05/01/05)
    Most recent Jan 4th 2007 @ 122kilo(268lbs)
    Bf 14.3% as of 28th Oct 06.

Current/
    Bench 300/
    Dead 455/
    Squat 345/

If you were to go 1RM in incline, flat, and decline you would be able to lift the most in decline you are strongest in that position. Sure decline has a place in your workout but most people don't start incorperating it into there workout until there years into there routine just to give them more variety. IMO decline is the safe ,your strongest there and in more control. Most people are injuried from flat presses and incline presses but if you set yourself up right there's little danger. If your worried about injuries doing decline set up in a squat rack. The real danger is trying to do more than you can handle. Hell get a spotter. P.S. dont walk across a street eather you could get hit by 2k of steal. Just lift smart..................

[QUOTE If your worried about injuries doing decline set up in a squat rack. The real danger is trying to do more than you can handle. Hell get a spotter. P.S. dont walk across a street eather you could get hit by 2k of steal. Just lift smart.................. [/QUOTE]

Agreed. Either know you can get the last rep or lower the weight. If you're really an advanced lifter going for an honest to gawd max weight you're going to know enough to get a seasoned spotter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironrelic
    Agreed. Either know you can get the last rep or lower the weight. If you're really an advanced lifter going for an honest to gawd max weight you're going to know enough to get a seasoned spotter.
    Well, yes, you should have a spotter and you should be aware of your capabilities. The dangerous situation is when a novice is attempting a lift or a simple accident occurs.

You've never had a problem racking weights? Or had a bar slip? Or had someone drop some plates next to you? Of course, these aren't common occurances, but you just need it to happen once.
    Last edited by MixmasterNash; 12-01-2004 at 07:09 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Question was for this thread? Is decline bench worth it?

Answer = Yes, it will strengthen your lower chest and triceps. However, just like always, please lift with a spotter at all times when its available. Dont put yourself at risk.

IMHO - its very good for getting past plateaus.

i only have dumbells for bench..i do declines, inclines, and flyes at the moment..what's unsafe about using dumbells for decline?..if the weight is too heavy, i drop them to the side..if you're not strong enough to guide the weight 6 inches to the side and drop it, you're not strong enough to get it in the air in the first place..end of story..i don't see how a barbell is unsafe either..drop it behind you..momentum will take care of half the effort..again, all you have to do is guide it behind you..of course i'm talking about a bench with no rack..but that's safest to me..plenty of space to drop stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    i only have dumbells for bench..i do declines, inclines, and flyes at the moment..what's unsafe about using dumbells for decline?..if the weight is too heavy, i drop them to the side..if you're not strong enough to guide the weight 6 inches to the side and drop it, you're not strong enough to get it in the air in the first place..end of story..i don't see how a barbell is unsafe either..drop it behind you..momentum will take care of half the effort..again, all you have to do is guide it behind you..of course i'm talking about a bench with no rack..but that's safest to me..plenty of space to drop stuff
    how heavy of DB's do you use. In my sets when I get up to the 85+lb DB I get them up no problem. But after doing 5 reps, you just cant stabilize them anymore! Then they start wobbling and who knows where they might land

im not doing that much..i don't know how much i can do yet, but it isn't 85..i'm slowly working my way up, but every time i move up, i can get 10-12 reps..i'd say more in the range of 60-65..either way, i just cant see not being able to give that weight enough direction to drop it..if you can't stabilize it after 5 reps, it's too heavy to have up there in the first place, and we have to get back into the grip/wrist discussion again..and we all know that discussion was as pointless and painful as pulling out pubes

im not doing that much..i don't know how much i can do yet, but it isn't 85..i'm slowly working my way up, but every time i move up, i can get 10-12 reps..i'd say more in the range of 60-65..either way, i just cant see not being able to give that weight enough direction to drop it..if you can't stabilize it after 5 reps, it's too heavy to have up there in the first place, and we have to get back into the grip/wrist discussion again..and we all know that discussion was as pointless and painful as pulling out pubes
    you make no sense at all. The idea of lifting is to push yourself, it's not supposed to be easy. Just becuase I can't get the last rep up doesn't make I cant get the DB's up in the first place

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenmoses
    Huh?

fromo, he said before that holding/getting up the weight wasn't the problem..the problem was controlling it..i was referring back to the grip thread ...see "question about shruggs"..and how pointless it became because everyone disagreed for different and legitimate reasons..but this is not hanging at your sides, this is over your HEAD..there's no discussion needed about grip..it dangerous if you can't control it, and you need to wait til you can, or risk death/vegetable state.. and like i said the discussion was as painful as plucking pubic hair before..bad analogy i know, but what sucks worse than that?

i do think that there's a difference in grip in dealing with dumbells over your head, and dumbells hanging below for shrugs..you definitely don't want to strap in doing benches

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    GMCtrk I gotta disagree, I'd say bb are worse. I max on 95s and I can go to failure and still have the ability to drop them to the side even if the muscles are totalled. Think about it, all of the sudden your muscles are giving out and its about to head toward your face, adrenaline will kick in long enough to guide them to the sides. Having said that, I prefer a spotter and will ask around for one but you still could as I have had it happen. decline bb scares me. maybe its the vulnerable position and how stupid you would look when someone walks over and yoru face is blue and a bb is laid across your neck. There's much cooler ways to die than that.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Quote Originally Posted by crazedwombat
    GMCtrk I gotta disagree, I'd say bb are worse. I max on 95s and I can go to failure and still have the ability to drop them to the side even if the muscles are totalled. Think about it, all of the sudden your muscles are giving out and its about to head toward your face, adrenaline will kick in long enough to guide them to the sides. Having said that, I prefer a spotter and will ask around for one but you still could as I have had it happen. decline bb scares me. maybe its the vulnerable position and how stupid you would look when someone walks over and yoru face is blue and a bb is laid across your neck. There's much cooler ways to die than that.
    someone gets it..thank God..if you can only take a dumbell for 5 reps before it's shaking so much that you can't control it, then you have no business having it over top of your face..THAT's dangerous..the solution is to work a lighter weight until you can do it for enough reps that you know you can handle that heavier weight..then, theoretically, you'll be able to control that heavier weight for more than 5 reps, and you are builidng strength SAFELY..isn't that the whole thing? aren't we trying not to kill ourselves here?

but i still could drop anything..momentum takes care of most of it..all it needs is a tiny bit of guidance, or even for me to relax my shoulders the right way, and the weight is guided away from my body...maybe it's a coordination thing

and as far as the barbell, i can TELL when i won't be able to get the next rep for sure..so you get it off of you while you can if you're alone..that's all there is to it..

there's a very real and critical difference between 'pushing' yourself, and putting yourself in danger for the sake of bragging rights or ego...no offense, but if you are putting more weight than you can control above your brain/skull (key stuff to maintain life!), then you may want to reevaluate where that line is drawn for you

Wannabebig New Member
    i agree with everyone else on this post that declines are a dangerous form of benching but every now and then it is ok to throw in declines to work your muscles from a different angle, the overrall want is to grow, and to grow you must work the muscles from all angles and positions just be careful when your doing declines and make sure you have a spotter.