The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    For The Originals...

Dammit..I can't get up even with an alarm clock!

I know this is my fault but just lately, I've been studying until 5-6 AM. This has only happened like two times so far atleast. I pretty much study for finals or write a homework up. But like today, I went to sleep at 5:30 AM. I had to get up at 10:00 AM because I have a class at 12:10 PM. So I set up my alarm clock to wake up at 10 and when I got up (by myself..not by clock), I saw that it was 12:45! I was like **** man..I didn't even hear the alarm clock go off! Then I looked at the sliding button to turn off the alarm clock..and it was pushed to off. So that means I basically turned it off when I was still asleep.. What's weird is ..this only happens when it's just lecture days or whatever. Whenever I have a test on that one day..I always seem to get up no matter what.

So ..what do you advise me to do? I know..do your **** earlier so I can get a decent amount of sleep and etc.. but is there anyway I can bypass this problem? Any experiences as solutiions?

Thanks a bunch

STructureboi86

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

set your alarm clock at its loudest volume, and set it across the room so you have to get up to turn it off.

ive done what you did several times, not realizing i turned it off. its easy to lay there and not really wake up, but if you have to get up, you should wake up just fine.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Multiple alarm clocks throughout the room, out of grabbin distance while asleep.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

I wannabebig!
    boy I wish I had your problem

get to bed earlier! actually i never use an alarm clock i just wake up and i get up very early
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I wannabebig!
    what a coincidence me toO!

I had that problem for a while. I just had to put the alarm far away from my bed and get one that is hard to turn off.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

I've done that a couple times..........did I even ACTIVATE the alarm?!??!

My solution? Set the alarm many hours before you have to sleep.

Edit: Good reminder for myself as well.
    Just set mine, have an evil evil 8:30 class on the morrow!
    Last edited by PizDoff; 11-29-2004 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    what a coincidence me toO!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

My roommate is like that, the alarm will go off for 20 minutes before he hits snooze, then 20 more. Kills me when I don't have to work and he does, because I can hear it on the 2nd floor.

I suggest an alarm clock that rotates noises, so you don't get used to them.

I wannabebig!
    like them car alarms with 20 different alarms... haha

Banned
    hire Gyno Rhino to come in and shoot you in the belly with a .38 when you need to be awake

sleep through THAT and you deserve to keep sleeping

setting the alarm far away from the bed never works for me. i just get up and smash the alarm clock before going to bed again. i suggest that you use the alarm clock on your mobile. i know that sony-ericsson have some real annoying sounds. that alwaysdoes the trick for me.

Confused
    If you have a stereo system you can set it to turn on at a certain time like a alarm clock

In addition, you could try drinking a large glass of water before you go to sleep. Having to put my feet on the cold bathroom floor is what really wakes me up. But this doesn't work if it causes you to want to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the 'night'.

MACHINE
    I have 2 alarm clocks set up on opposite sides of my bed. With one alarm clock, I either turn it off without really waking up like you, or I sleep through the hour-long alarm and never hear it. I find that having to go to each side of my bed to shut off alarms helps wake me up, and having it in stereo helps too.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

For The Originals...
    hella funny ..last year..I had two phone alarms and two alarm clocks plus the stereo system..and yet I still was not able to wake up a few times.. I think the problem with phone alarms are that they shut off too quick. after three melodies..it shuts off .

I tried putting the alarm clock a distance away from me last night..and I woke up..but I quickly pulled the cord and shut it off and went back to sleep. Good thing my internal alarm in my head woke up after an hour. ahah. I think I should get up really quickly and do push ups..maybe that'll force my ass to get up

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    cold showers tend to wake people up very well...i usually get up to walk over to my alarm and although i rarely have problems getting up sometimes it difficult but you get in the shower and that cold water hits you, along with some cursing and shivering your ass will get up
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

also, try to leave a few hours of studying before your meeting or class... that way if you oversleep it is not something vital which you miss.

this is very frustrating problem... you feel like you don't have much control over it.

i like a low level alarm i hit snooze on a few times to get me out of deep sleep to go off first, and then a very loud one. that also gives you incentive to get out of bed when you hear the first one.

I never hear the alarm clock, therefore it stays on my wifes side of the bed. It goes off at 0400 and she wakes me up.
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

dude! if you got on your feet and still turned it off and went back to bed, you have nowhere to point the blame but yourself..no offense here..we all get sleepy, but responsibility has to kick in..that alarm clock can only do some much for you..somehow you've talked it into making you get to your feet, so there comes a point when you you have to take over..again, no offense..i used to have trouble waking too, but once my eyes are open, they're open..i got work to go to

I was just thinking how much funnier this thread title would be if a mod put the word 'it' in a certain place.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan
    hire Gyno Rhino to come in and shoot you in the belly with a .38 when you need to be awake

sleep through THAT and you deserve to keep sleeping
    It's only $12.99 a month. I'll use a .45 for $14.99.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!