Thread: Bicep curl plateau

You got your tickets yet?

Bicep curl plateau

Ive been working out for approx 8 weeks and since almost the start Ive been able to curl a 20 pound dumbbell with ease, but when I move up to a 25 pounder I can only go about 5 or 6 reps in a set until I am completely exhausted. I usually go for 10 reps in a set, 8 as a bare minimum so it is really ticking me off that I can't progress past 20 pounds. I can pump out 3 sets of 10 with a 20 pound dumbbell and not even feel it.

Any advice?

Hey i have the same problem as you im at 30's and its pretty easy with them.. than 35 man there hard ... well this is what i did before when i was at 25's i just kept doin the 25's for a while and than they got a little easier than i moved up two 30's and did them for a while and shocked my body and than went back to 25's and it was all good.. i dont really know if this works but it worked for me .. good luck
    Last edited by snowster900; 12-05-2004 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Show
    Any advice?
    Stop curling. 6 reps are enough for a set.

keep doing the 25's for 5 or 6 reps, thats a good range. Before you know it you'll be able to do 10.
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205

You got your tickets yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    Stop curling. 6 reps are enough for a set.
    Hmmm...like I said, I just started 8 weeks ago. All the advice I got from the guys at the gym led me to believe that 8-10 reps per set was desireable.

Should I be aiming for 6? And in my other exercises too?

I shoot for 6-8 for most stuff, 1-5 or so for squats, deads and most bench work.
    I don't really believe in curls. If you do chins/pullups and rows, then you don't really need curls.

Banned
    stick wtih all types of rows and pull ups for the biceps. If you must, put curls at the end of your back routine, your biceps will get hit pretty hard

Bigger every day!
    Gun_Show, if you must curl and you want to maintain a 8-10 rep range you can always buy some 2.5 weights that strap on to your wrist, which would make you @ 27.5 a side for a while, hammer those out then move up.

Although 8-10 is not my rep range (5-7) for curls and issolation work, if it has been working for you in the past keep with it untill it gets stagnet.

But I know that if you starting chinning/rowing before you hit bi's you will get a better bi workout, although your reps/weigh of curling will decrease.

BTW your rep range will be determined by your goals, there is no magic number.
    Last edited by Da_Man; 12-06-2004 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    I shoot for 6-8 for most stuff, 1-5 or so for squats, deads and most bench work.
    I don't really believe in curls. If you do chins/pullups and rows, then you don't really need curls.
    :withstupi
    Go by those rules and you will get bigger and stronger.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

If I were you, I'd use the 25s or 30s even for the first set, and then use the 20s for the 2nd and 3rd sets. When you can do more than six reps with the first heavy set, up the weight again.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I was in a plateau till i started pausing at the top of the rep. I lift the weight at a moderate speed, hold it for 3 seconds (tensing the muscle a hard as possible while i do) and lower really slowly (3-4 seconds).