The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

fights at the gym

I watched two work out buddies engage in a half hour heated debate on form last night. One of the guys accused the other of shrugging/cheating on cable crossovers to which the other guy replied that he knew he wasn't using proper form but that he preferred to do them that way. In response, the strict form guy went on a diatribe about the lack of rational and sound training principle involved in that line of logic. They got louder and louder and I was starting to wonder if they were going to come to blows. They eventually calmed down and made up but for awhile it was pretty crazy. Has anyone else witnessed similar incidents or seen a situation where it actually came to blows?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    i see a lot of guys thinking they're pretty big hit on some of the ladies. watching them get shut down is nice

prob is a lot of the hotter ones are all gfs of the PT's there...dont know which one is safe so i choose one from the child care center (staff not clietn)
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

the only fighting i see is btwn my training partner and i hahahaha
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by crazedwombat
    i see a lot of guys thinking they're pretty big hit on some of the ladies. watching them get shut down is nice

prob is a lot of the hotter ones are all gfs of the PT's there...dont know which one is safe so i choose one from the child care center (staff not clietn)
    haha, this post is great becuase it's true. 90% of the hot ones at my gym at home are girlfriends of the PTs.

And the part where you felt the need to clairfy that you didn't choose a child was hilarious, haha

There have been plenty of times I've wanted to start a fight at the gym. When I lived in San Antonio, I went to a ritzy-ass "fitness center" (gay gay GAY!) full of guys with great bi's and chests, with toothpick legs. They all loved to congregate around the squat rack, talk on their cellphones, and do 30 rep sets of bicep curls. I wanted to Duke Nukem every one of their asses, but sadly, I was just a wee lad. And I still am. But at least the gym I'm at now doesn't have a bunch of curl jockeys.

Im sure the fight at my gym had nothing to do with form or even weightlifing period, but it came down to a mexican stabbing a white guy. It probably had something to do with race, cuz where I live thats a big problem.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Damn mexicans! We should just shoot them all, starting with ectx, then belial (closet mexican)!
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    Damn mexicans! We should just shoot them all, starting with ectx
    Si! SI!!~!1!!1

Banned
    never seen a fight but theres a guy who works there and he walks around rearranging all the weights and criticizes peoples form even though he doesnt look like hes ever lifted a weight in his life. alot of people would like to fight him.

Quote Originally Posted by theperfectbeast
    never seen a fight but theres a guy who works there and he walks around rearranging all the weights and criticizes peoples form even though he doesnt look like hes ever lifted a weight in his life. alot of people would like to fight him.
    how on earth would they have hired such a person don't worry i'll get down there and whoop his ass
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Wannabebig New Member
    Hey jay Dub , I have never heard of a mexican having a knife ... are you sure of your facts . haha
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Banned
    Wouldnt it suck if somebody tried to fight you AFTER your workout? You'd be so tired from lifting, it would just totally suck!!!!

I got in an argument with this guy at the gym, but tried to just bite my tongue after he got too angry.. I just let him use the equipment (which I was rightfully in queue for), and went to do some flat bar bench presses.

You know those really hard resin-ish coated water bottles? As I was putting up the third rep in a three rep set, he threw it at me from a few yards away, and it hit me right in the forehead. I just managed to throw the bar off, and almost got seriously hurt. I managed to restrain myself from hitting him, and he got his membership revoked with no refund.. on a two year membership. :P
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

The Prophet (Early Stages) Draven_Fenix's Avatar
    That actually almost happened to me. Not at the gym though, at school. I had done a pretty moderate full body day (1st period weight lifting - LOVED IT) Well my whole body felt like jello and then some dude that is like 3 times my size rams me in the hall and I freaked out on him. I knew I didn't have the energy to fight, but I managed to yell really loud and he punked out.
    If it feels good, I'll do it.

Music is the essence of life

I am no one, no one is right, there for I am right.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by roidaroonie
    Wouldnt it suck if somebody tried to fight you AFTER your workout? You'd be so tired from lifting, it would just totally suck!!!!
    A friend of mine got into a fight on the way home after a workout. He was walking back from the gym, exchanged words with some guys and it came to blows. I'm pretty sure the workout was kind of moot though because he's trained in various fighting styles (muay thai, wrestling, etc.).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    how on earth would they have hired such a person don't worry i'll get down there and whoop his ass
    i guess thats what you get for lifting at a YMCA...the gold's nearest me is pretty run-down, and this new YMCA was built 6 months ago and has decent brand new equipment. only problem with the place is the PT's are know-nothings and there is an abundance of very old people that take a looong time to do their lifts and hog the benches. usually a simple "hey old man river, zip it or ill break your hip" will get rid of them though.

i guess thats what you get for lifting at a YMCA...the gold's nearest me is pretty run-down, and this new YMCA was built 6 months ago and has decent brand new equipment. only problem with the place is the PT's are know-nothings and there is an abundance of very old people that take a looong time to do their lifts and hog the benches. usually a simple "hey old man river, zip it or ill break your hip" will get rid of them though.
    ha! perfect beast i go to the Y NO PROBLEM WHERE I AM but then i guess it all depends where you are which Y you go to mine seems pretty decent

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by roidaroonie
    I chased a guy down outside the gym after my workout once. He was keying cars, so I brought down the hammer. It sucked though. I was stiff as hell but I still caught his ass. No punches were thrown. All it took was a hip throw to get him on the ground and detain him until the cops got there.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Wannabebig Member
    Theres 1 in every gym, 9 times out of 10 they do look like they have never touched a weight, as soon as their 1 or 2 days into their PT course they think their experts, best thing is to just laugh at them.

Banned
    haha yea pretty much what everyone does. he wont even talk to me or any of the guys i lift with anymore.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    lucky you guys, I go to a very wealthy gym, 55$ gym membership, its worth it though but everyone there are either hardcore gymers or yuppies trying to get rid of the power pot belly from years of meetings...on the plus side, lots of asians and trophy wives to enjoy.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Ya man, its the same way at my Y. We just got a brand new one built, its great and everything but there are alot of old people, and the "pt's" dont know jack ****. One time my friend was doin some legs on a machine and he went to get another 45 ib plate to add on and a "pt" comes up to it with someone thats shes showing around and just jumps on and starts explaining what muscles were being worked and what was the right form. She didnt even say one word to my friend about using it. My friend just stands back like who the **** does this lady thinks she is? This personal trainer was about 200 ibs of pure fat. I dont know why anyone would take advice from her. And then she turns around about two days later and tells my friend hes going too fast and he needs to slow down on the reps. She says shes a personal trainer and shes just trying to help. Then he says well you sure dont look like one, and I dont pay for your advice so leave me alone. After that comment she wouldnt shut up and went and got another "pt" who told him that he shouldnt be so rude or theyd hafta kick him out. Personal trainers these days...

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Banned
    most of them are school type educated on lifting and not gym educated. most have been taught everything they know in a classroom and learned methods and knowledge from biased teachers that alot of people dont agree with. they know the name of each muscle and what your ideal body weight and bf% should be but are ignorant to what actual hard lifting and bodybuilding are. if you listen to them you will come out with a little skinny toned physique. **** those pts just get ripped. some 5'4" 200 lb bowling ball female trainer came up to me talking about some body shape/type bs telling me what i should do based on some **** chart thats like 'o well if you are a 6'0-6'2 ectodermic body type inverted triangle shape your healthy weight is b/w like 130 and 137 with a ******ed body fat err thats what the chart says let me go eat a donut err im bulking to 5'4 300'
    Last edited by theperfectbeast; 12-06-2004 at 09:57 PM.