The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

"Cheat Days" and Leptin

We all know that cheat days/meals are important when cutting.
    Some say it helps kickstart you metabolism and others say its simply necessary to help cravings and keep us sane. I recently ran across some interesting articles about this which points to the protein leptin(which acts as a hormone) as central in this process and why we need cheat days in order to keep fat loss from reaching a plateau. I highly recommend checking out these two articles, they are both great reads. The first one goes into details about how to structure cheat days and how often they should occur and so on. These articles should be great news for all of us who are cutting.(I certainly feel good knowing that its not just ok to cheat but necessary.) The second one I got from an Elite fitness thread.(Its good to know that some guys over there know what they are talking about)

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/.../article18.htm

http://www.avantlabs.com/issue3/big_mfr_issue_3.htm
    "In Austria, they say the country is known for its pastry, its music and Arnold Schwarzenegger."

unknown author

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Continuously Dangerously
    i think theres an element to truth in what youre saying.. about once every two weeks we'll get pizza and ill have that (tons of cheese) and pop, the next day its very visible that my definition increased.

You can also try doing a search at the yahoo talkboards.It has very good info about leptin.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    are these "cheat days" really carb loading days. BEcause that would make a whole lot of sense.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Wannabebig Member
    well, it is recommended to focus on carb intake but this is not simply because of carb loading effects. Of course since most people restrict carbs when they diet some of these excess carbs will be used to restore glycogen levels but the benefits of cheat days and increased carb intake as well as above maintainance caloric intake are more than just simply carb loading since it seems that both increased carb intake and increased caloric intake(regardless of where these calories come from) are correlated with increased leptin levels(which in turn inreases energy expenditure and decreases appetite)
    "In Austria, they say the country is known for its pastry, its music and Arnold Schwarzenegger."

unknown author

Just to add that increased dosages of omega 3s have been demonstrated to reduce leptin levels and increase loss of body fat mass in both rodent and human subjects.

Similar effects have Zinc and VitE.

carb load ala ckd very high carbs 1 gram protein per lb. and no extra fat. no fat if you carb load!
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

I've tried the carb load clean strict and not so strict....clean and strict most definetly! Don't try to do a carb load eating "junk food".
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Originally posted by Marcel
    carb load ala ckd very high carbs 1 gram protein per lb. and no extra fat. no fat if you carb load!
    I totally agree!
    Consuming junk food(aka a ton of fat) will lead to fat gain.