Thread: newbie at lifting and dieting

Wannabebig Member

newbie at lifting and dieting

Hello all! Noob here. Take it easy on me. heh

Okay... i am not versed in dieting or lifting weights. I just try and use some common sense and things that people tell me. I recently started up again, having done a little before. My goal is to increase muscle mass and loose fat... especially around my mid section. When I first tried lifting and dieting I was doing okay... was taking hydrocut with ephedrine and it worked.... but then i stopped... got too busy on other things. Been about 2 yrs. Some of the fat has come back just a little after not working out at all... not dieting at all etc. I recently also starting taking Hydrocut this time with no ephedrine. I just started all this again about 2 weeks ago. I am taking whey protein after I lift and I am trying to do 25 to 30 minute jogs 3 times a week and lifting 3 times per week. My diet.... a lot of protein.... turkey burgers, chicken breasts, eggs etc. not much pasta or breads... just a little... cut them out a lot, a lot of salad.... 1 to 2 bowels a day, drinking berry blast (lol) to meet my fruit needs and its convenient, lots of water, ive cut my calories consumption a lot by the way. I used to eat hamburgers and fried chicken like there was no tomorrow as well as drink a lot of coke... cut coke out completely.

Okay so am i doing okay? Probably hard to judge since its early... but am i on the right track? Again I want to increase muscle mass and loose my gut. i am afraid that the hyrdocut wont work since it has no ephidrine and i may no be used to it since i did it a lot about 2 yrs ago. what other product would you all recommend besides hydrocut? My apologies for a somewhat chopped up articulation of my deal here but I am extremely in a hurry. Thanks for any help you all are able to provide.

my apologies if this is not the appropriate place for this post.

I wannabebig!
    browse the training and diet forums, use the search function, and know that you will either gain muscle or lose fat so choose one. Good place to start for diet is the sticky at the top that says what a bodybuilder eats and dont forget to check out the wannabebig articles on training and diet.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the help. i look through some of those stickies. will look more later.

i guess my thing is is to get lean then.

im eating well under my caloric intake which is around 2600 according to my weight. im doing cardio 4 times per week... and also spot lifting... (chest twice per week, shoulders twice per week) .... i noticed it says if you want to get lean to just do these spots once per week... what would happen if i continue doing it twice per week?

also... what kind of fat burner should i take? ephendrine or no ephedrine? should i be barred from taking ephedrine?

what kinds of pasta are good post workout?

what kinds of fats are good.... specifically?

i just want someone to critique my diet routine or plan here and give me suggestion and or advice. tell me if im on the right path or its not worth it. remember building muscle mass its not important... i just want to get lean. ill concentrate on building muscle mass after. thought i dont want my muscles to be that big... i do want them to increase... will getting lean do this anyways?

Here is some information that I have posted in various threads that might be of help.

Here are some general dieting guidelines that might be of some help:
    1) 1 gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight

2) ~25% of daily calories should come from fat (remember to include some essential fatty acids)

3) Fill in the rest of daily calories with low glycemic index carbs, except pre/postworkout which would ideally include high glycemic index carbs along with a quick digesting protein (whey protein).

4) Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and one gallon would be good starting point.

Listed below are some good sources of each macronutrient. This is just a small list and is by no means all inclusive.

protein sources: eggs, poultry, lean beef, dairy, fish

low GI carbs: oats, sweet potatoes, beans, whole wheat bread, vegetables, fruit

fats: nuts, natural peanut butter, oily fish (such as salmon), fish oil, flax oil, olive oil

To find out how many cals you should be eating each day I would slowly increase cals in small increments until you are gaining the desired amount of weight each week (approximately 1lb per week is a good number IMO). You can use www.fitday.com to help you track calories if you like. Here is an example of what I mean. Say you are eating 2000 cals and maintaining your weight then you would need to increase cals by a small amount (about 200-300). That would put you at 2300 cals for the week. Keep cals at this level for the week and then weigh yourself at the end of the week and see how much weight you have gained (if any). Repeat this process until you are gaining about .5-1 lb per week. I woud weigh myself at the same time each week to try and ensure the most accurate measurement.

As far as routines go you might want to check out one of the WBB routines on the main page. The following site has a list of exercise illustrations that might be helpful as well www.exrx.net

There is a lot of information in previous threads as well. Run some searches and you will find a lot of answers to your questions.

This thread may also be of some help.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/sho...ht=grocery+list

Wannabebig Member
    thank you. judging from what your saying in that specific area about carbs... would it be good to have whey protein and some pasta after working out (lifting or jogging)?
    Last edited by krosspyder; 12-11-2004 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by krosspyder
    thank you. judging from what your saying in that specific area about carbs... would it be good to have whey protein and some pasta after working out (lifting or jogging)?
    That would be fine IMO.