The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

My workout routine, criticism needed

Hey all,
    I'm 16 years old, almost 5'10, i weigh between 137-141lbs or so...
    anyways i've been working out for the past year, but it's basically been just messing around and slacking off. For the past month and a half or so i've actually been working out seriously. I just need criticism/help on my routine...

day 1- chest and tri's
    day 2- back and bi's
    day 3- shoulders and legs
    day 4- rest

day 1- chest and tri's
    day 2- back and bi's
    day 4- rest

I just keep going with that. I do a few different exercises for each muscle and i do about 3 sets of each exercise, it usually goes like, first set - 8 reps, second set - 6 reps, third set - 4 reps (those are to failure). Abs i work on all the time, and i run/do cardio almost everyday.

I just would like some advice on my routine. I really want to build some good mass and get bigger...besides help with the routine, my last question is, what should my diet be like to gain mass but also get my six pack for this summer?...I was thinking i put on mass for a while, then come begining of summer, i trim down whatever extra i have so you can see that six pack (i can lose any extra weight/fat fast)...Thanks for the help

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonj
    Hey all,
    I'm 16 years old, almost 5'10, i weigh between 137-141lbs or so...
    anyways i've been working out for the past year, but it's basically been just messing around and slacking off. For the past month and a half or so i've actually been working out seriously. I just need criticism/help on my routine...

day 1- chest and tri's
    day 2- back and bi's
    day 4- rest

day 1- chest and tri's
    day 2- back and bi's
    day 4- rest

I just keep going with that. I do a few different exercises for each muscle and i do about 3 sets of each exercise, it usually goes like, first set - 8 reps, second set - 6 reps, third set - 4 reps (those are to failure). Abs i work on all the time, and i run/do cardio almost everyday.

I just would like some advice on my routine. I really want to build some good mass and get bigger...besides help with the routine, my last question is, what should my diet be like to gain mass but also get my six pack for this summer?...I was thinking i put on mass for a while, then come begining of summer, i trim down whatever extra i have so you can see that six pack (i can lose any extra weight/fat fast)...Thanks for the help

You will need to be more specific. What exercises do you do and what is your diet like (what are your main foods and how many calories (approx) are you eating? Then people will be able to give advice that is close to your goals.

Wannabebig New Member
    I'm pretty sure my workout routine is fine, seeing a nice difference already actually...

chest- bench, then incline or decline bench, then DB butterflies
    tri's- tricep pushdowns, kickbacks, dips
    back - lat pulldowns, seated rows
    bi's - straight bar curls, DB curls sitting down, concentration curls
    shoulders - shrugs, upward rows

it's always something like that...

So my main thing i need help with is the eating part, i'm almost 5'10, only weigh 140, wanna pack on some major mass...I can try to explain what my diet is like now but it's not very easy because i've never really concentrated on it or thought about what i was eating too much, definitely never counted calories lol...just starting to get serious now...So i figure i start eating about 6 good meals a day, eating a lot of protein, lotta chicken and stuff, basically start eating like a mad man...i also have a nice protein/weight gainer drink that i'll start taking 2-3 times a day

For triceps lose the kickbacks and put in skullcrushers or overhead DB extensions.

For back add in deadlifts and pullups (if you can do any) or barbell/dumbell rows.

Lose one or two of the bicep exercises. You already work them with back.

Shoulders add military/dumbell press, lateral raises or something like that. Shrugs are traps not delts, which is actually as part of your back (many people work then with shoulders anyway).

To pack on mass eat TONS of food. It doesn't even have to be clean, jsut very calorie dense. Try to take in around 4000 cals per day. Do heavy compound movements, for 4 - 6 reps.
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks hockey, alright i'll change some of that stuff in my workout, and yeah i can do pullups and stuff...what you said sounds good to me.
    I'm proly bout half an inch taller than you, but i'm 20 pounds lighter, i wanna get close to your weight, that sounds about right. thanks for the help...i can eat a lot so i will, my protein is also a weight gainer drink so that will help a lot, a ton of calories in it, i'll be drinking 2-3 of those a day...

Time to get eatin!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonj
    I'm pretty sure my workout routine is fine, seeing a nice difference already actually...

chest- bench, then incline or decline bench, then DB butterflies
    tri's- tricep pushdowns, kickbacks, dips
    back - lat pulldowns, seated rows
    bi's - straight bar curls, DB curls sitting down, concentration curls
    shoulders - shrugs, upward rows

it's always something like that...

So my main thing i need help with is the eating part, i'm almost 5'10, only weigh 140, wanna pack on some major mass...I can try to explain what my diet is like now but it's not very easy because i've never really concentrated on it or thought about what i was eating too much, definitely never counted calories lol...just starting to get serious now...So i figure i start eating about 6 good meals a day, eating a lot of protein, lotta chicken and stuff, basically start eating like a mad man...i also have a nice protein/weight gainer drink that i'll start taking 2-3 times a day
    What the other fellow said. Also squat. I don't see anything for your legs above. Regardless working your legs hard will enable you to pack on mass all over your body. Your body will only permit a certain amount of disproportion. If you have thin legs it is not likely that you will have a good or even decent upper body, although it is possible.