The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Getting back to the gym, need some advice

I've decided to get my butt back in the gym after making excuses for months on end, but this time I wan't to do it right. I stopped going to the gym right around September due to drastic changes in my lifestyle, but the time I did spend in the gym I never took seriously enough. I was going to the gym 3+ days a week for well over a year, but I sure as heck wasn't eatting properly to make any improvements. Now that I've adjusted to my new life, I'm ready to start hitting the weights again. I'm pretty familiar with most excerises, but most of the training I did in the past I did with dumbells whenever I possibly could. I've looked over some of the training routines and I've decided to go with the Big 3, along with a strict dieting schedule. My ultimate goal is just to put on muscle mass with no set limit. I've no idea of the kind of weight I'm capable of putting on, so I'm hesistant to set an actual figure. As it stands right now, I'm 5'11'' and ~147lbs. I've been doing this routine for one week so far and I'm just starting to get over the extreme soreness that comes after an extended period away from the gym. I have a few questions though...I'm not the most proportionate fella on earth (who is) but I feel I prolly have it a little worst than most. I've got a long neck, a bit of a slouch (I try not to but it takes a conscious effort), and my shoulderblades stick out. The slouch prolly isn't something the gym is going to be able to fix, but what about for my neck and bony shoulderblades? My neck specifically, would I benefit from adding a neck excerise to my routine? I know this wouldn't make it any shorter, but it would help to possibly broaden it giving it that appearance. As far as my shoulderblades, it seems the traps, lats and lower back are incapable of concealing them. Is there an upper back excerise that would help to lessen their appearance? Or will they just fade away as I start to bulk up...

As far as the exercises being done, is their a specific reason I should use a barbell over a dumbell? I'd prefer to use the dumbell where I could, but I wanted to double check.

My last and final problem is to do with my diet. I love dairy to death, but I avoid it due to my lactose intolerance. I don't like the taste of any of those lactose free products, and their usually a bit more expensive anyways. So I know there's a few people out there in a similiar situation, any advice to offer? Am I doomed to take lactose pills with every meal? I'm going to include milk and any other dairy product in my dieting plan, and if that means taking a pill along with it at every meal, then so be it...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Big traps = Visually shorter, broader looking neck. Throw in some shrugs on your shoulder or back day.

Barbell is better than DB for mass because it allows you to use more volume. If you are uneven as in lets one pec is stronger than the other, DB comes to advantage and can correct that. And ofcourse, if you don't have a spotter for exercises like BB Bench than using DBs would be appropriate.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 12-11-2004 at 12:16 AM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

If you do the big 3 and eat properly, you should soon get rid of the shoulder blade problem, depending on how bad it is. In theory, if you strengthen up your back, it will make it easier to have good posture too. That's what I've found anyway.

Using barbells allows you to use more weight, because they're easier to hang on to with two hands.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    I wouldn't do just the big three. I would put a press and a row in there somewhere. Also ab and calf work.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Big traps = Visually shorter, broader looking neck. Throw in some shrugs on your shoulder or back day.

Barbell is better than DB for mass because it allows you to use more volume. If you are uneven as in lets one pec is stronger than the other, DB comes to advantage and can correct that. And ofcourse, if you don't have a spotter for exercises like BB Bench than using DBs would be appropriate.
    I definitely disagree with what you think about BB versus DB in building mass. If anything, DB work will build more mass because more stabilization muscles are worked in order to press the weight. Also, volume isn't the same thing as weight. The volume of your workout would probably be the number of sets times the number of reps in each set, whereas I think you're talking about being able to press more weight with the BB.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by twm5993
    I definitely disagree with what you think about BB versus DB in building mass. If anything, DB work will build more mass because more stabilization muscles are worked in order to press the weight. Also, volume isn't the same thing as weight. The volume of your workout would probably be the number of sets times the number of reps in each set, whereas I think you're talking about being able to press more weight with the BB.

Being able to press more weight (in the short term) does not always bring increased muscle mass, although it may increase strength. However in the long term increasing strength (being able to press more) increases mass. The stabilization muscles (please define term) do not tend to grow as much as the bigger muscles like the legs or back or in this case the pectoral muscle.

Wannabebig New Member
    The stabilization muscles (please define term) do not tend to grow as much as the bigger muscles like the legs or back or in this case the pectoral muscle.
    I agree that they're not going to grow at the same rate, but wouldn't the stabilization muscles get used more when using DB when compared to BB? I think the stabilization muscles are the muscles around your shoulder that allow you to keep proper form.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Small Fry
    I agree that they're not going to grow at the same rate, but wouldn't the stabilization muscles get used more when using DB when compared to BB? I think the stabilization muscles are the muscles around your shoulder that allow you to keep proper form.
    If you are referring to the rotator cuff (which basically holds your shoulder joint in place) then no. You can tear your rotator cuff as easily with heavy BB as with DB's. Hard to use the muscles more than that.

But this was not the topic I was disagreeing with the other poster on. He stated that DB's would build more mass, simply because they worked the stabilization muscles more. Neither premise always holds true and therefore are flawed.