The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Abs

Wannabebig Member

Abs

Can anyone give me few tips on how to lose few pounds of my stomach and get nice abs ?
    Im in good shape, nice chest, biceps and all but my stomach kinda bothers me.
    I work out 4-5 times a week with my bowflex.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

how's your diet?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

run. and watch what you eat also.. don't eat a lot of fatty foods.. if your not trying to bulk at the current time you can also cut down the amount of calories your intaking to lose that extra weight.. you cannot lose weight in a specific area its a whole body thing. but you can gain muscle in a specific area.. so in addition to your normal workout routine do a cardio day.. go to the track and run a few miles or if you have a treadmile at home use that.. them immediately after hit the sit ups. and do different variations also.. if you put in a search on msn or somethin i'm sure you'll find a lot because whenever i sign on they claim to know the latest secret to getting the perfect 6 pack.

Wannabebig Member
    Can you guys recommend me a diet ? Im not really on a diet right now since I dont know where to start.
    Im 6'0 about 190lbs ... I work out 4-5 times a day using my bowflex.
    Any help appreciated.

here's your first tip: ditch the bowflex
    yea that's right, be jealous

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by agentplaya1
    here's your first tip: ditch the bowflex
    No thanks, its great and I love it, it got me far from where I was before.
    Also if you dont have anything to suggest then please troll somewhere else.

ahhh a noob w/ balls. you'll fit right in. I stand by my first suggestion of ditchin the bowflex as using free weights as opposed to machines is much more effective in building muscle size. As for diet, you might wanna troll over to the nutrition/diet board. You'll get a much better response there.
    yea that's right, be jealous

as for diet, read the basic articles on this site and just search through diet and nurtition to get a gist (jist? sp?) of what's going on. The bowflex has its place for those in rehab, but if you want more muscle mass, you'll want weights.
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

i had the crossbow.. so i can agree with you that those type of machines can work. it did to pretty well to get me cut before

How bad do you really want those abs? There are some diets out there which can get you there, but require huge amounts of dedication and discipline. If you aren't naturally prone to low bodyfat, you have to have some crazy self-control and be up to some intense diet. And just as a sidenote, I don't see any reason to hate on a bowflex. I think people can make some good gains on them, but will eventually outgrow them.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    I had the crossbow too, but it took only a month or two to plateau but like moses said, if you're hardcore, you'll grow out of it rather quickly. Its really only good for toning
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

MACHINE
    OK, muscle building is not the thing to focus on here. Fat loss is. Eat less calories or do more cardio, or both. Fine tune the diet (hint: diet and nutrition forum)
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Quote Originally Posted by gino
    OK, muscle building is not the thing to focus on here. Fat loss is. Eat less calories or do more cardio, or both. Fine tune the diet (hint: diet and nutrition forum)
    :withstupi yup
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I wannabebig!
    Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    :withstupi yup
    :withstupi

Have you been maintaining the current weight you are at for some time? The reason I ask is you can use this as a benchmark and then adjust calories accordingly. The best way to do this, is to track your diet for a few weeks, you can use a tool like fitday.com which is free and you can add in custom foods. After a few weeks you will be able to tell how many calories you are generally getting per day, and adjust it say by lowering it 500 calories per day. This may mean that you drop a meal, or reduce portion sizes on a few meals. Or you can just try to burn an extra 500 calories, which is still quite a bit. A combo of reduced calories and some form of cardio a few times a week should get you on track.

Tracking and recording your diet will help you stay focused on what you should and shouldn't be eating, and after a few weeks you will know enough to pretty much calculate what your caloric total is for the day in your head.

So if your weight has been pretty constant, then the total calories you regularly consume would be called your maintenance level, from which you'd want to subject some amount, I arbitrarily chose 500, but you could start with less, or slightly more if you wanted to.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig Member
    I love the bowflex, it got me pretty far from where I was, so Im gonna keep that thats for sure (my wife also uses it).
    Like I said, all I want to do is get some nice abs, the rest of my body is pretty solid and the way I want it.
    I keep reading all the articles here to get as much knowledge is possible, but there is nothing like tips from people who been there and done that.
    And for those who want to know Im almost 6 feet and 185lbs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBootyDadd
    I love the bowflex, it got me pretty far from where I was, so Im gonna keep that thats for sure (my wife also uses it).
    Like I said, all I want to do is get some nice abs, the rest of my body is pretty solid and the way I want it.
    I keep reading all the articles here to get as much knowledge is possible, but there is nothing like tips from people who been there and done that.
    And for those who want to know Im almost 6 feet and 185lbs.
    The only way to "get" abs is to lose enough fat to let them show through. There aren't any magic exercises for you to get them. Frozenmoses was right on the money though because it's all a matter of how badly you want them. Look up some diets on these forums (CKD, PSMF, UD2.0, etc.) and see if that is the sort of thing you would be willing to do for a 6 pack...