The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Help needed developing quads

About 2 years ago, I suddenly and for no distinct reason, I began experiencing pain in both my petallar tendons. I was unable to run or do much more than walk for about 2 months. Walking up stairs was also difficult as it agrivated the tendons. Due to my fathers procrastionation, I was unable to see a doctor untill about 2 months after I first complained to him (I'm 16 now). The doctor gave me a routine to address the pain which involved icing and a number of motions with minimal weight. The pain in the left knee went away relitively fast, but it took me another year for the right knee to heal sufficiently for me to begin lifting, running and playing sports again. Might I add that naturally, it seems that my ratio of glute to quad size is much larger than most people. I look at all the guys in the guy that are my height (5'11") and they have much larger quads than I do but can't even squat half what I can. It seems that the majority of the power in my lower body is contained in my qlutes. I think that's part of the reason my knees were hurting in the first place. I just have a large butt.

In that year my right quad lost significant mass, but the majority of this mass seems to be in the Vastus Medalis and Vastus Laterials. While I was injured, extending my leg the last 15 to 30 degrees would cause pain right below the knee cap, so I never did it. I also rested the majority of my weight on my left leg. It also seems that the Rectus Femoris has somewhat compensated for the reduced mass in the 2 muscles and has gained mass, especially in the upper thigh. I've been squatting since march of this year and I'm about to hit 500 pound maxx. The problem, though, is that the lack of mass in the right leg is making my whole lower body asymmetrical. My righ glute is now larger, adn more powerful than my left and my left quad is MUCH larger than my right.

My right quad just doesn't seem to fatigue from heavy lifting and I just can't seem to target the Vatus Medalis and the Vastus Lateralis. I don't get a pump, I somtimes feel the effect of a lactic acid build up, but that goes away fast and a day after a heavy squat workout, the right quad isn't sore at all. Naturally I want to fix this problem cause I don't want a huge left quad and huge right glute only, so how can I target the Vatsus Medalis and Vastus Lateralis? I desperatly want to hit them hard and wake up the next day with a sore feeling in those muscles, I can't remember the last time they were sore. Can someone help me PLEASE? Sorry for the VERY long post.
    Last edited by Whitebread; 12-23-2004 at 12:46 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Damn, you're 16 and squatting 500lbs, and you've only been squatting since March?!?

I don't really have too much advice for you unfortunately, hopefully somebody else can be of more help

Get someone to check your squat form. If you able to squat 500lbs since training squats in march I would classify you as world class.
    And go to a physiotherapist, something is ****ed up.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

how about you take a pic of both your legs ? id like to see that..
    Work out to build natural muscles that's my motivation.
    Not for other people to look at me and not to look at my self.

500 pounds 1 rep max, I don't go as low with this as I do when I'm doing a workout as the coaches don't require it. And don't think I just turned 16, I'm almost 17, I've been pretty close to 200 pounds for a few years. When squatting, I usually go past parallel, usually close to the "calf to halmstring" position, hence the large ass. I've had my form checked by a guy at the local guy who is training for the olympics and he said my form was excellent. I'll post a pic of my legs after I get back from the movies.

Adam, March wasn't the first time I squatted. I did prior to that but stopped due to winter sports. Pretty much what happened was by the beginning of my sophomore year, my knee was healed enough for me to squat, I did throughout the fall, then stopped for winter track, then started up again when it finished, which is the end of feburary.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    try single leg training for a while, do alot of lunges, steo ups and one leggeed squats until both of your legs are evened out, hope this helps
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

http://home.comcast.net/~rb26dett03/IMG_0656.JPG
    http://home.comcast.net/~rb26dett03/IMG_0654.JPG

There are the pics. Their not to great in quality cause I had to use the web cam as the digi cam is not working. And It's kinda hard to take pics of your own legs.

I'll try doing everythign except the one legged squatts as that will probably just make my right glute even larger.

What did you expect? When you lift that much that young you are asking for an injury.

Continue squatting and deadlifting and eating properly and they should grow symmetrical. Outside of that, its genetics and you cant fix it.

"What did you expect? When you lift that much that young you are asking for an injury."

when you lift that much with BAD form you are asking for injury.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

I wannabebig!
    :withstupi

I wish this site had a roll eyes smilie, my knees started hurting as a result of my flat feet and shoes with inadaqute arch support. I started lifting, for the first time, well AFTER my knees healed. Actually, the leg training helped with the pain and enabled me to do things I couldnt before. The athletic trainer at my school believes that weak quads also played a roll in this. Not to mention, I haven't been squatting heavy for long, it's not like I started out wiht a max squat of 180 pounds here. Not to mention, my form is correct, a multitude of certified trainers, 1 olympic lifter and all my coaches, (who played football in college), say my form is correct.