The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: hear me out...

hear me out...

while sitting at work i had an idea. i dunno if i'm gonna be able to explain this properly but i'm gonna give it a shot. say you want to curl a lot of weight. normally you would train your arm through different methods and do whatever amount of reps you saw fit. what i was thinking is this: moving an x lbs. dumbbell is easier as it's moving. so, if you are going to curl a 20 lb dumbbell, the hardest point would be the first couple of inches, and after that you're keeping the motion going. i was actually thinking in my mind of trying to push something heavy on ice; it's hard to get it moving initially, but takes less force to keep moving as you go along and it's already at a set speed. so, if you're training your arm by doing a full motion rep, you're training all the arm equally, when it's the part of the muscle most responsible for getting the weight going that should be targeted more. so, if you wanted to increase the weight you could curl, wouldn't your training efforts be better spent just using a heavier weight than you can curl and focusing on that beginning part of the movement?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    no because then your form will suffer. the whole motion is what builds your muscle not just the initial few inches.
    if your momentum is helping you that much then you should re-evaluate your form. make sure that your concentric movement is about 2-3 seconds and your eccentric movement a little slower than that.
    also try resistance weight training with bands on bench press and squats. you can do band training with deadlifts too among other lifts. i can assure you that you will have no momentum building up when using bands. ill be happy to explain the bands and tell you where you can get them if you are interested in it. used them in highschool football, theres nothing better.
    Last edited by theperfectbeast; 12-13-2004 at 02:34 PM.

jazer, you can use cables/chains to accomplish that type of tuning for your lifts

Yes, you can use chains, bands, bungees to increase resistance throughout the movement. There are many machines (Nautilus, etc.), that are built on this principle.

Banned
    yea i also like to use a lat machine