Thread: A shoulder injury has me bummed.

A shoulder injury has me bummed.

I used to lift and keep myself in excellent shape. I looked great and felt great, until.... I had a mtn bike accident and received a grade 3 AC separation in my shoulder. It took me out of everything athletic and really depressed me. The doctor remarked on my physical fitness and stated that if I didn't have so much muscle, the crash would have probably broken many of my shoulder bones. Years later, I still feel like I am not mentally where I was back then. I have a large bump on my shoulder, which sticks out (to me) as if I had a huge zit on my face when I see myself in the mirror or touch my shoulder. I have no real loss of motion or pain, generally speaking.

Surgery could solve my bumpy shoulder, but a scar would be left. I am fine replacing my current problem with a scar. My parents tell me that if my shoulder works, I should not even consider having it cut open for vanity. I can't get it out of my head, though. The bump on my shoulder represents an otherwise great platform to improve upon; more than that, it reminds me of a stupid mistake I made years ago.

After years of deliberation, I have finally taken the initiative to get back in the gym. I feel good about that.

What are your thoughts? Should I just let it go because my should works and having surgery is a big risk? It has be explained as a simple procedure to me, but I am not sure.

Thanks.

Why not just get back in the gym, find out how much weight work your shoulder can handle pain free & if you can get some muscle development in that area & if it goes well, then maybe skip the surgery.

I have that bump too, chronic aching from getting the shoulder messed up somehow years ago, but too old to want to go thru the invasive reconstructing & rehab etc. The pain doesn't get better or worse; going to live with it.

Hope yours goes well in the gym.

I wannabebig!
    if it bothers you that much get it taken care of, if not dont.

I think that's what my plan is, Iron. I used to love my shoulders, especially traps. Now, I'm ashamed of them. Shrugs are the worst for pain, but in other motions I have probably 90% strength. I will see if gaining muscle will help my "insecurity" at all, and it might help a little.

Along with the bump, which is about 1/2" high, I feel that my posture suffers. We'll see.

Thanks for the ideas and support.