Thread: Question on the Smith Machine

Question on the Smith Machine

The Smith Machine at my gym comes down at a slight slant. My question is which way should i position the bench? Should I do it so that the lower it gets to my chest, the closer it gets, or further away? Same question applies about military press as well. Thank for your help
    ANYTHING can happen on a TUESDAY!!!

Wannabebig Member
    thats a f*cked up smith machine, never seen a bent 1, i dont belive in those anyway, it takes away the stability you are foreced to make when u use a regular bench

I think it should move away from your stomach.

As you lower the weight, it should get closer to your knees.
    For military, facing ->, the slant should be \

Footballer
    Just use the barbell bench.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

the reason i'm using a smith is that i don't have a spotter and although I know I can ask someone to spot me, I have started trying out DoggCrapp routine which is a rest-pause method. With that said, I feel as though the smith is my best bet.

So you guys are saying that as the weight comes lower, it should move away from the head. That's what I thought too, but if i'm not mistaken, the trainers at the gym alway have people set up so that the bar gets closer to the head

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Smith is definately not your best bet, but if you insist, then yes it should move away from the head.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

no it shouldnt, wouldnt you rather push at an angle away from you then, push it over your head- push it away. just think that.
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

then why is everyone else saying push in?

Maybe consider using dumbells and even doing drop sets to fully fatigue your muscles.

The natural bench motion is to for the bar to move closer over head as you push out and coming into your chest on the way down.

as it is right now, i'm sticking with the smith, but as soon as i stop moving up on weight, i'll switch to dbs

well it depends on the slant, but if its a big slant then shoulder injury is imminent (sp) if you come down across your face to your knees.. basically stick to barbell or dumbbell or just go for whatever feels comfortable
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

it's not a big slant, just a noticeable one

Wannabebig Member
    Whats better a smith machine with a slant for squating or straight vertical type?

I had to use the smith machine once. Took me like 10 mins to figure out how to properly position my bench. So at the end i adjust my bench at an angle to counterbalance the slant. Haven't used the smith machine for bench eversince.