The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

6 weeks bulking, then straight into 6 weeks cutting?

Whats up yall,

I was thinking about just concentrate on bulking for 6 weeks. Eating clean and get enough quality calories and then after that 6 weeks go on a lower calorie diet for 6 weeks to burn off any fat I may have accumulated. This sounds efficient in theory but attempting it is sneaky.
    So for me bulking I would have to eat 2800 cals a day, and then say after the 6 weeks is over If I was to drop my cals down to 2000 cals would that put my muscles in risk because of the 800 calorie deficit? I really wouldnt mind doing this but im in fear of my muscles. Thanks

Has anyone tried this? Comments welcome

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I ran into this on google but I lost the site where I found it, anyway heres the post its exactly what I feared but the original guy whos been doing a 8 week bulk straight into a 4 week cut says its good?

someone posted this

i thought lyle and others have said that it's best to spend 1-2 weeks eating at maintenance calories when transitioning from bulking to cutting or vice versa. i would think that jumping straight from eating over maintenance for a few weeks right into cutting would be a recipe for muscle loss and jumping from cutting to bulking to be a recipe for fat gain. your metablism and body's responses would adjust over the few weeks to higher calories then when you drastically cut them to a caloric deficit wouldn't this create problems? i know there are some diets (i.e. UD 2.0) that cycle carbs/calories during the week, but the body doesn't fully adapt to any calorie level in only a few days. in the example you listed i would think your body would adapt to being above maintenance after a few weeks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and now hte original poster comes in saying this

why would it be a recipe for muscle loss? if anything the fast transition is better b/c

1. eating above maintenance will cause leptin levels to be high when diet begins, accelerating fat loss and sparing muscle mess
    2. testosterone levels will be high... sparing muscle mass
    3. you will have higher levels of nutrients present in your system when you begin dieting... the beginning of a diet is potentially the most catabolic time, so beginning it right after you've been in the most anabolic state possible will help spare muscle mass.

we DON'T want adaptation... that is the whole point... we are trying to avoid it

is this true? please help me :|

Banned
    Dropping 800 calories isn't that big a deal. I don't even think what you posted is relevant in your case because the drop in calories isn't significant enough. That being said, I highly doubt you can bulk on 2800 cals and cut on 2000 cals...the difference should be more (perhaps much more) substantial than that.

Wannabebig Member
    Hmmmm, so you dont think this is possible?

It would be nice if some more people would responde to give their opinions and comments

Exactly what vido said. Eating 400 cals over maintance for 6 weeks would probably at best yield a pound of two. The same goes for the dieting half.

It will work to a certain extent but there are far far faster and more efficient ways of both bulking and cutting.

Wannabebig Member
    How so? But What if I do a 8 week bulk and then go straight onto a 4 week cut eating extrememly clean food. Do you think the sudden rise/fall in calories will pu my new muscle gains in jepardy?

give it a shot. come back after 12 weeks and let us know how it went.
    yea that's right, be jealous

Wannabebig Member
    Has anyone else here ever done something like this?

Whenever I transition from a bulk to a cut (or vice versa), I never just drop or add a lot of calories all at once. I decrease calories at a rate of about -200 calories per week. At this rate, it may take me 3-4 weeks to fully transition from bulking to cutting. But its worth it, as I don't lose any muscle (may even gain some), and my metabolism doesn't get all jacked up.
    Last edited by mike107; 12-16-2004 at 01:08 AM.