Thread: Training Partners

Training Partners

I had a training partner who was very intense and strong and always eager to go the gym. We pushed each other......problem is,he, well, we are both very competitive and that pushes us to get better results and set new goals. I think he gets very jealous of me when his training is not going well and then dissappears for a while. Or he meets some new chic and she has him up all night so he ends up skipping his workouts and I end up lifting alone. I realize i don't need him to succeed in the gym, problem is that I have a hard time pushing myself so then I slack and I lose weight, strength and motivation. I like trainig with a partner. I have a hard time finding one who works out with the right intensity,drive and determination that I have. I have tried new ones but there work schedule and other commitments make it hard for us to work out all the time, or I don't like there training style.....I'm really stuck and would like to have some feedback here as to what I should do.......Has anyone else on here had this type of problem ?????

have had that problem with every single training partner I've ever had...
    I've gone through about 10...
    utilize them while they are there, but have an alternate workout plan for when they aren't there. (ala db's over bb's)

obviously whatever you do, you probably wont be able to push yourself as hard without a spotter....

As my screen name implies, I have had the same problems that you mention. I would like to find a suitable training partner, but it can be really tough; it's as much a personality thing as it is a fitness thing.

I have gotten good at all variations of exercises using dbs instead of a bb, but you are right, it's still not as good. The motivation portion is more up to you, even though it is harder. I wish I had some GOOD advice, but then I'd have to change my screen name.

I wannabebig!
    lift by yourself... no need to worry

i guess i've been lucky with my training partner except when he calls me a wimp lol!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Don't train with anyone who doesn't want to see you succeed.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

i have had the same problems as you...... more often than not its scheduals that screw us up.....

but both of us are motivated....... key is too talk to guys at the gym you see all the time, odds are if you make the first move and introduce yourself, especially to a guy who's build you admire, he will likely give you a spot (especially if you return the favor) or possibly agree to work out with you.

its awkward, b/c its like asking a guy our for a date hahha.....but if you dn't try, its hard to get a reliable partner.....thats why guys you see at the gym at teh same time you go, are your best chance.

For The Originals...
    Learn to workout by yourself just in case things like this occur. I know for myself, I can't really work with partners because they restrain me from doing what I want. I'm pretty spontaneous (sp?) in the gym so I jump around to all different kinds of machines. When I have a partner, they have a set plan and stuff..which isn't my thing. It's also a hassle to switch off with one another when the other person lifts more/less than you. I have worked with other partners..but it dind't last very long mainly because I knew I wasn't making any progress. I wasn't having fun working out..and it was too organized lol.

Best of luck,

Reloaded

It's All About Committment KiwiBuilder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Structureboi86
    I'm pretty spontaneous (sp?) in the gym so I jump around to all different kinds of machines.
    StructureBoi - Ha ha ha, there's an OxyMoron if either I heard one!

Sorry, couldn't resist. We have a chap at our gym who does the exact same thing, and we take the piss out of him mercilessly! His only redeeming feature is that he sure is one big SOAB...
    =================================================
    Currently:: ~90.75 Kg and BFLing!
    Cutting Goal:: Abs!
    Ultimate Goals:: 100Kg at ~10% BF.
    The Road To Largeness
    Newest member of WBBB
    "Go ahead on with it Quadzilla..." - Cocoa.
    "I hope the course gets a few more beer cart girls. Hot ones with long legs and tans. Great, now I'm excited. My left forearm is never going to catch up now. Son of a bitch." - Tim Nissen.
    "Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer." - Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
    =================================================

Thanks everyone for your inputs......advice is what I needed and I got it from you guys...thanks again. Time to hit training harder than ever, with or without a training partner!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats the right attitude.. never rely on anyone as it puts you at someone else's mercy which unless you like that, it is just bad. i always train alone as i am more motivated and focused..
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659