Thread: WINNER!!! Pick three, now how do I...

suprarob

WINNER!!! Pick three, now how do I...

incorperate this.
    Originally Posted by Ironman15
    Pullups, bench, squats...you could alternate squats and deads if you wanted.

This is all I am going to do. What in your best opinion would be the best workout scheme? I'm leaning towards...

Monday-Dead alt squat
    Wed. - bench
    Fri. -Pullups

However I am worried that with such large gaps betwwen bodyparts that DOMS would kill me, agreed??? Anyhow how would you set up a routine only using these exercises???

Thanks everyone, Rob.
    Last edited by suprarob; 12-13-2004 at 09:04 PM.

How would you do a routine with only these three? You'd do them all, each day you worked out.

Alternate order of exercises, and which ones you do heavy/fast

Example:
    M: heavy squat, speed bench, med pullups
    W: heavy bench, speed pullups, med squat
    F: heavy pullups, speed squat, med bench

Heavy might be 5x5, speed could be 6x3, med 3x10.

That's what I would do at least.

fighting Kryptonite
    Ann Arbor, MI during school...Niles, MI for now
    you said you were going to do pull ups yet you never designated a day in your routine for them...when do you plan on doing them? Are you going to do squats twice a week or is one of those days supposed to be pull ups?
    Lady, I fully expect to see you in the next issue of Powerlifting USA with at least a new world record for your weight class. Make it happen. - Guido

let's see how much this girl can lift...looking for the strength I know I have...
    The Journal...

suprarob
    Oh man I overlooked that. How stupid of me. i guess thats why I need help puttin' it together!!! I'll edit it now!

suprarob
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    How would you do a routine with only these three? You'd do them all, each day you worked out.

Alternate order of exercises, and which ones you do heavy/fast

Example:
    M: heavy squat, speed bench, med pullups
    W: heavy bench, speed pullups, med squat
    F: heavy pullups, speed squat, med bench

Heavy might be 5x5, speed could be 6x3, med 3x10.

That's what I would do at least.
    I'm trying to reduce my time and volume in the gym that is why I posted which three would be best. How about everyother day including weekends? I really only want to do one exercise a day!!!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by suprarob
    I'm trying to reduce my time and volume in the gym that is why I posted which three would be best. How about everyother day including weekends? I really only want to do one exercise a day!!!

Rob
    <15 sets of medium to low reps for a whole boy workout isn't that much. It's a half hour to 40 minute workout in my book.

If you really wanted to cut down, 2 exercises per day would be okay.

Trying to learn on the fly
    :withstupi

three exercises a day won't take that much time and if you cut it to two , it will take even less time. only doing one exercise a day seems almost pointless

Something is better than nothing..

Hello
    why dont you try Maki Riddington's program

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=146

you could do, incline bench, chins, and deads or squats 3 times a week

Its Great
    Last edited by sidney; 12-14-2004 at 05:07 AM.

Phatboy
    I liked the Maki routine (see post above), but when I had to really make the most out of my workout time, I gave the routine by Chris Mason a shot.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=51699

I did it basically to a T, with the exception of adding bent over rows to his sample routine. I also alternated squats and deads. My results were great.

I was also cutting during this, but my strength continued to increase, while scale weight went down. (Keep in mind that I am close to 20% bf, so that probably helped).

With the combination of both of their routines, (and really watching my nutrition..Post WO especially) I added 30 pounds to my bench (up to 305), 50 to my deadlift (up to 455), and my ATF squat is at 315 (...should be much higher, but I completely scrapped my old squat form, and started over. I fully expect this to get into the 400's quickly)

Again, all of this was without eating above maintenance calories. I actually started at 241 lbs (5'10" btw) and am currently right around the 226 mark.

With Maki's routing I wasin the gym for 45-60 minutes and with Mason's I am in 30 minutes on upper body day, and 20 to 25 on leg day. Also, since I am not training to failure, my nagging shoulder pain has gone away. SWEET!

suprarob
    Cool, I'm checking out both routines!!!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by phatmike
    I liked the Maki routine (see post above), but when I had to really make the most out of my workout time, I gave the routine by Chris Mason a shot.
    Sounds good. Case in point of less gym time and better results. I'm surprised that it worked so well for a cutting routine though, as these workouts seem better suited to a bulking routine. Did you do much cardio as well?

always hungry
    i started doing the mason routine mid november, with only 1 or 2 different lifts, i like the idea of splitting a 2 day routine over 4, since my job has me on my feet all day as it is i dont normally have the energy to go all out for 12+ sets in the evenings.

ive gained 8-10 pounds so far, and when ive hit my target (few months away yet..) my pics will be posted with all the details
    Last edited by Digitised; 12-15-2004 at 01:27 PM.

Phatboy
    I didn't do alot of cardio, as I was going to wait until my results started to plateau to kick it up a notch. Like I tried to mention, I am at a pretty high bodyfat right now, and I think that had I been lower ( <14 or %15), I don't think I would have seen as much if any scale weight loss eating as I was. For ME I think the keys were:
    • Limited carbs prior to bed. I tried to eat my daily amount of carbs before my workout. The majority of carbs post wo come from my shake. I would eat leafy greens though if I was hungry.
    • Was able to cheat on weekends. The only rule being that I had to eat a clean meal before I cheated. So If I was going to eat something bad, it would be preceded with something good.
    • Did not train to failure
    • Tried to get the majority of protein from whole foods. I limited the use of protein supps to after workout, and right before bed. (I use Nitrean for both of these). For the weekend, when I am out and about, I use alot of Opticen. In fact, sometimes it is my "clean meal" before I cheat (see above).

Let me be clear on one more thing here. I did notice an increase in strength as my numbers indicate, but I noticed very little in the ways of size increase. People do tell me that I look thicker in my shoulders and chest, but I think that is more a result of my waist being smaller. If I had been on a bulking phase, I am sure I would have noticed much better size gains.

One more point to make here. I think that the attention to detail in my diet was the difference here, not necessarily the detail of the routines. The key is that both routines are based around solid principles, neither of which are unique or anything new. (Not to take anything away from the creators of these, as I am sure both Maki and Chris would both agree).

It really is amazing what you can accomplish with as sound nutritional program (that you actually follow). I have really tried to take the advice given by Dr. John Berardi (sp?). I never go to work without my meals already prepared, and an extra one just in case I have to work late. I also don't substitute a good, clean meal with one that has limited nutritional value (this comes into play on cheat days).

Hope this LOOOOOONG post helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

suprarob
    OK. I'm going with the Mason workout. Feels good already!!!!!!! I'll let you know how it goes!
    Rob
    Last edited by suprarob; 12-16-2004 at 09:25 AM.

Very cool gentlemen. It is always nice to see people benefit from your advice. I really enjoy that.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by phatmike
    I didn't do alot of cardio, as I was going to wait until my results started to plateau to kick it up a notch. Like I tried to mention, I am at a pretty high bodyfat right now, and I think that had I been lower ( <14 or %15), I don't think I would have seen as much if any scale weight loss eating as I was. For ME I think the keys were:
    • Limited carbs prior to bed. I tried to eat my daily amount of carbs before my workout. The majority of carbs post wo come from my shake. I would eat leafy greens though if I was hungry.
    • Was able to cheat on weekends. The only rule being that I had to eat a clean meal before I cheated. So If I was going to eat something bad, it would be preceded with something good.
    • Did not train to failure
    • Tried to get the majority of protein from whole foods. I limited the use of protein supps to after workout, and right before bed. (I use Nitrean for both of these). For the weekend, when I am out and about, I use alot of Opticen. In fact, sometimes it is my "clean meal" before I cheat (see above).

Let me be clear on one more thing here. I did notice an increase in strength as my numbers indicate, but I noticed very little in the ways of size increase. People do tell me that I look thicker in my shoulders and chest, but I think that is more a result of my waist being smaller. If I had been on a bulking phase, I am sure I would have noticed much better size gains.

One more point to make here. I think that the attention to detail in my diet was the difference here, not necessarily the detail of the routines. The key is that both routines are based around solid principles, neither of which are unique or anything new. (Not to take anything away from the creators of these, as I am sure both Maki and Chris would both agree).

It really is amazing what you can accomplish with as sound nutritional program (that you actually follow). I have really tried to take the advice given by Dr. John Berardi (sp?). I never go to work without my meals already prepared, and an extra one just in case I have to work late. I also don't substitute a good, clean meal with one that has limited nutritional value (this comes into play on cheat days).

Hope this LOOOOOONG post helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Very imformative post, with lot's of detail... I like that... if only more ppl wrote their experience out like this, we could all benefit....

Very cool...