The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: potato

potato

Are the little baked red potatos bad for you, the little ones?
    I eat those a lot lately

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

sweet potatoes are better

I'd never say potatoes are 'bad'. Eating the skin helps because that's where the fiber is, and fiber will help slow the digestion of the simple starchy carbs in the potato. Sweet potatoes are better in that they have more fiber, and a lower glycemic index.

If you eat potatoes, try to steer clear of them later in the day. Limit your simple carbs at night and try to stick with more complex carbs along with slower digesting proteins.

well i usually only have potatoes at dinner.

what is glymeric index? and what are examples of slower digesting protein and more complex carbs

A Fortnight Dead
    If you eat potatoes, try to steer clear of them later in the day. Limit your simple carbs at night and try to stick with more complex carbs along with slower digesting proteins.
    Will this myth NEVER die?
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

V please explain your comment

Quote Originally Posted by _-_v_-_
    Will this myth NEVER die?
    ditto
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

A Fortnight Dead
    Simple carbs before bed do not "magically" turn to fat.

Carbs of ANY sort before bed do not "magically" turn to fat.

Eat carbs. Don't worry. Be happy.
    "human kind/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

Did I say simple carbs turn into fat magically before bed?
    No. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Simple carbs digest quickly. Complex carbs digest more slowly. If you want to try to maintain an anabolic state while sleeping, you eat slow digesting carbs and slow digesting protein.

A Fortnight Dead
    I apologize for misinterpreting your statement -- however, I'm sure you can see how I might have done so, given the degree to which your words lend themselves to an interpretation entirely in accord with that particular bromide.

And while I would certainly agree that complex carbohydrates are generally preferable, there are two factors for which I think you are neglecting to account. The first is that many putatively "complex" carbohydrates can be digestled more "quickly" than many "simple" carbohydrates -- maltodextrin, for example, is technically a complex carbohydrate, yet it is metabolized far more rapidly than are the "simpler" carbohydrates found in fruit. Furthermore, unless one is eating said carbohydrates -- regardless of their "complex" or "simple" nature -- sans protein or fat, the rapidity with which they are digested will be entirely dependent upon the foods with which they are eaten. A baked potato, for example, which would ordinarily be digested more quickly than a sweet potato -- if eaten alone, that is -- will, if eaten with protein and fat, be digested at approximately the same rate as a sweet potato eaten in a similar context.
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by _-_v_-_
    I apologize for misinterpreting your statement -- however, I'm sure you can see how I might have done so, given the degree to which your words lend themselves to an interpretation entirely in accord with that particular bromide.

LOL I love this line
    yea that's right, be jealous

Well then I'm extremely sorry for not being 100% explicit in my response. From now on I'll just keep silent and let _-_v_-_ answer all the questions, since he's obviously some kind of nutrition God.

*bows humbly before _-_v_-_ *

A Fortnight Dead
    There's no need to be rude or sarcastic -- I apologized, after all, and meant no disrespect. For god's sake, if this is how you respond to someone offering additional elaboration or information....
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

I felt that you were being condescending.
    Had you simply stated "I misinterpreted what you said. I think you assumed people know the same things about nutrition as you, and thus kept your reply somewhat 'limited'. Be explicit, so we know what you're talking about next time, so we can avoid confusion."
    I will try to be less defensive next time. I think on forums like this, where we're all striving to build bigger, better bodies, the ego comes out, and for some of us the ego is very easily bruised.