Thread: Can I get a sample ?

Can I get a sample ?

I have problems training calves......my program is garbage...........When i was between 18-24 my calves would grow and look good easily, with hardly any effort...now at only 31 having tons of problems. Can I have a few samples on what you guys do in your calve routine, maybe I'm doing something wrong.........Thanks

Disciple#1
    Just do 3 sets until 1 rep from failure 1 leg at a time as heavy as i can... Not 'too' clued up on calve training though :/

Try this...

Doing calf raises

Use your 20 rep max weight.
    Do 20 reps
    Wait 10 seconds then do as many reps as you can, stop, wait 10 secs and do as many as you can again. Continue this until you reach a total of 75 reps.

This is Nelson Montana's "cooked calf routine" it works pretty good. Be careful though, I did it last week and I couldn't walk properly for 4 days.
    Last edited by bassman09; 12-20-2004 at 11:36 AM.

thanks bassman i will try it

IMO training calves seems to yeild small results. Unless you do something like basman suggested.
    My thinking is that fat people have big calves. fat people walk, high reps.
    skinny people(for the most part) have small calves.
    Of course though, genetics plays a huge part with calves. Ex. my friend is 180lbs 5'6 with calves well over 18" no pump. Me on the other hand. same weight/height 14.5" calves.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon
    IMO training calves seems to yeild small results. Unless you do something like basman suggested.
    My thinking is that fat people have big calves. fat people walk, high reps.
    skinny people(for the most part) have small calves.
    Of course though, genetics plays a huge part with calves. Ex. my friend is 180lbs 5'6 with calves well over 18" no pump. Me on the other hand. same weight/height 14.5" calves.
    I wouldn't agree with that analogy. If they walked they probably wouldn't be fat.
    This is something I've observed watching people in general most cases I've seen people with long legs have smaller calves also people with shorter legs have the larger calves maybe something to do with shorter legs need to do more work than long legged people walking the same distances. Just a IMO from observation. Myself I've got short legs and my calves are masive and extremely strong.........

Quote Originally Posted by bassman09
    Try this...

Doing calf raises

Use your 20 rep max weight.
    Do 20 reps
    Wait 10 seconds then do as many reps as you can, stop, wait 10 secs and do as many as you can again. Continue this until you reach a total of 75 reps.

This is Nelson Montana's "cooked calf routine" it works pretty good. Be careful though, I did it last week and I couldn't walk properly for 4 days.
    I do these too- but I stop when the pain becomes unbearable, and I start back once the pain subsides enough to continue (3-10 seconds, usually). I call them crybaby calves because they hurt more than anything else that I do. Then again, my calves suck total ass. I have seen some improvement, but training them has been spotty since I screwed up my ankle.

Lyle McDonald wrote an article:

5 sets 5 seated calf raises with 2 sec pause at top and bottom of reps.
    5 sets 5 leg press calf raises with 2 sec pause at top and bottom of reps.

I've been doing that and seeing some gradual results. But then again I'm bulking and now I have kankles!
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Kankles!! LOL! Love that word. I just lift heavy, 2 sets of work with straight legs, 2 sets with legs bent. Seems to work for me. However, I have always had big calves so making them bigger has never really been a problem for me.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300