Thread: smith machine

Hybrid View

smith machine

What are everyone's feelings on them for Squatz and Bench press?

in another thread someone mentioned they are not as good as the bar + spotter, howeverI told them that since I have a shoulder injury my ROM is limited and as such I need the support to prevent reinjuring my shoulder, especially at the higher weights

I am currently benching 225 @ 4 and squatz 255 @ 8
    im 5'7" and 165 lbs Age: 23

Wannabebig Member
    free weights and a spotter is good but if your gonna reinjure yourself then definitely use the machine.

maybe for lighter weights, you know warmups and whatnot, use free weights and then once it gets heavier switch onto the machine.

my shoulders suck too. i never seriously injured them, just when i was in like 3rd grade my friend put me in a submission and they have popped ever since. db don't hurt them as much though.

Quote Originally Posted by wanna be buff
    free weights and a spotter is good but if your gonna reinjure yourself then definitely use the machine.

maybe for lighter weights, you know warmups and whatnot, use free weights and then once it gets heavier switch onto the machine.

my shoulders suck too. i never seriously injured them, just when i was in like 3rd grade my friend put me in a submission and they have popped ever since. db don't hurt them as much though.
    Did you go to school with Ken Shamrock or Hoyce Gracie?

well i had gotten run over by a car that was ontop of myshoulder/collarbone when i was like 7.

So yea I know my limitations.

I guess what Im wondering is if my accomplishments on the smith should not be held in lesser regard.
    I mean i only started to do squartz a month ago and I am putting up 255.
    And 225 is not a bad start on bench IMHO

If your shoulder is 'hurt' badly enough that you can not bench with dumbells or abarbell, I suggest you see a medical professional to determine the extent of the injury, and what rehab, if any, would be effective.

I don't see how a smith machine for squats is going to help your shoulder all that much. However, for the bench it isn't that big a deal, although I don't quite understand how you can bench on the machine, but not use a barbell without the machine.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Smith doesn't allow for proper control or proper motion of the weight, so I would actually say you have a bigger chance injuring yourself there than on reg. bench with a spotter and good form.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 12-16-2004 at 03:06 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I wannabebig!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Smith doesn't allow for proper control or proper motion of the weight, so I would actually say you have a bigger chance injuring yourself there than on reg. bench with a spotter and good form.
    :withstupi

only thing I would use one for is some calf raises.

Paul,

I never said I could not bench with a bar or dumbs,

I just said I shy away from it when I start getting at over 200 pounds of weight, since I would be at greater risk to hurt myself (shoulder)

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bboy486
    Paul,

I never said I could not bench with a bar or dumbs,

I just said I shy away from it when I start getting at over 200 pounds of weight, since I would be at greater risk to hurt myself (shoulder)

Man, fukk that, use machines for heavier weight. I use the barbell for lighter weight/reps, but once you get to 200, use machines. I reinjured myself recently using the fukkin bar, when I noticed gains using machines. Just practice with balancing with light weight, and work your way up. I got to do that and start all over again. Dumbells are fine, but barbells are overrated IMO. Greg jones uses the smith machine, and duke benches 465 after only benching around 405 before the summer. Just mix it up with machines and freeweights.

Banned
    smith machine = not working stabilizer muscles which are muy important. supplement your bench workout with db presses or some other freeweights to work the stabilzers. also ive noticed when using a barbell the motion is not quite up and down, its a little slanted, and the smith machine makes you go directly up and down. in my experience that causes you to actually exert alot of force against the guides which probably also strains your shoulders alot.

Wannabebig Member
    I have to agree with the use of the stabilizers, however, if you are incorparating dumbell presses and other misc. true freeweight excercises than I really don't think it makes much of a difference. I started using a smith once I broke 315 ( I work out at home) I too realized that without a spotter I was tking a bigger risk. I still go to the gym on occasion and I have noticed about a 10lb variation in my bench. Bro, as long as you are benching than it is an accomplishment.SG1
    You get what you give.

What are everyone's feelings on them for Squatz and Bench press?

in another thread someone mentioned they are not as good as the bar + spotter, howeverI told them that since I have a shoulder injury my ROM is limited and as such I need the support to prevent reinjuring my shoulder, especially at the higher weights

I am currently benching 225 @ 4 and squatz 255 @ 8
    im 5'7" and 165 lbs Age: 23
    Are you squatting that with the Smith or regular bar? You're wise to at least keep your shoulder injury in mind even if it's been that long ago & if its still messed up. My right one is screwed up & a chronic problem I have to live with.

If you're not using the Smith at the higher weights, just move up the poundages in smaller increments & give yourself more time to get comfortable with the increases. Might be possible to get TOO ambitious with the Smith & cause an injury.

Good to use the Smith as a supplemental tool; but the regular bar will force you to keep your mind on each rep & your limits.

My 1c

I squat with the smith.

I actually on saturday used the regular barbell with a spotter and got 275 4 times! It doesnt make a whole lot of sense why I was so strong on it, but I achieved a new high weight on my bench and I am really happy with it.

I dont have much of a choice to keep my shoulder in mind, its one of those things that I need to be aware of. Also although it was a long time ago, the way my ball and socket joint healed it really limits my Rom.

yea well it seems pretty divided on this topic, not too sure what to think.

I really see no cons with the smith other than having the pully assist you.

But lets be honest, when you get a spotter isnt he doing the same function as the pulley.

I find this try except that the smith tends to lock you into a more perpendicular motion, as opposed to the bar which u must use stabilizers to assist you.

I guess I just want to know why people knock smith so much?

Wannabebig Member
    I guess I just want to know why people knock smith so much?
    Because thats what they were taught to. You right, spotters basically do the same thing as machines. They help keep you balanced also. I just mix it up, usually between machines and dumbells. I'ma start incorporating barbells into my bench and do 3 sets of light/high reps until about 200lb, then hit the machines. Just keep going up from 200.

Lunges basically helps with stabilizers and balance just as much as barbell squats, and I do jumping lunges all the time. Just use the bar for light weight, then work your way up. I'ma start using the bar for squats until I get to about 300, about 3 sets warmup, then the machines after that also.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhoa04
    Because thats what they were taught to. You right, spotters basically do the same thing as machines.
    Hahahaha.....

No. Having a spotter perfectly keep the weight leveled and over the exact same spot during every rep while the person benching doesn't even try to keep it stable is like using a Smith machine. But that just isn't the case now is it? No point in explaining why reg. BB is better than Smith, because it's states several times above.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 12-20-2004 at 02:21 PM.

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Wannabebig Member
    Hahahaha.....

No. Having a spotter perfectly keep the weight leveled and over the exact same spot during every rep while the person benching doesn't even try to keep it stable is like using a Smith machine. But that just isn't the case now is it? No point in explaining why reg. BB is better than Smith, because it's states several times above.
    hahahahaha

No. It's your opinion, but asking the many athletes who train using both, then it doesn't matter to them, or they wouldn't be using it.

To threadstarter:

Bottom line, use the smith if you want. NO ONE THING IS BETTER THAN THE NEXT. Use the machine to help with form, and pack more weight on if you don't have a spotter. Use the bar if you have a spotter and just want to work on muscles other muscles in your legs, instead of the main parts, and balance. but you'll use a lil bit lower weight than machines. Just mix both, because one helps what the others don't.

Don't just use the barbells if you don't want to. Machines will strengthen your legs, but won't strengthen your "stabilizers", and freeweights will do the opposite and won't put 100% of the weight into the main parts of the leg.

Hahahaha.....

No, you should be making sure you have proper form on your own. The spotter is there in case you fail and need help getting the weight off of you during the exercise. That's all, at least to me. Hell, I don't even like for a spotter to touch the bar until I ask them to.

Smith machine is ok. I used it for a little bit before I discovered the joys of the Power Rack. You get the best of both worlds there, safety and freedom of motion.
    Last edited by TBone4Eva; 12-20-2004 at 09:50 PM.
    The half-million citizens of the District of Columbia, like citizens of the fifty states, bear all of the obligations of American citizenship: they are required to obey the laws passed by Congress; they pay federal taxes; they serve in the military; and they fight and die in our wars. Yet they lack the most basic right that should accompany American citizenship—the right to full voting representation in Congress. This makes the United States the only nation in the world with a representative, democratic constitution that denies citizens of its capital representation in the national legislature. In fact, no fewer than 183 nations provide their citizens the type of representation citizens of Washington, DC are denied.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone4Eva
    No, you should be making sure you have proper form on your own. The spotter is there in case you fail and need help getting the weight off of you during the exercise. That's all, at least to me. Hell, I don't even like for a spotter to touch the bar until I ask them to.
    That's what I said, lol.

He said having a spotter and using a smith were the same thing. So I explained that it's not the same unless the spotter perfectly keeps the weight leveled and over the exact same spot during every rep while the person benching doesn't even try to keep it stable. Which is not the case, therefore making regular benching w/ a spotter not the same as using Smith.

My bad. I misread your post.
    Last edited by TBone4Eva; 12-21-2004 at 05:49 AM.
    The half-million citizens of the District of Columbia, like citizens of the fifty states, bear all of the obligations of American citizenship: they are required to obey the laws passed by Congress; they pay federal taxes; they serve in the military; and they fight and die in our wars. Yet they lack the most basic right that should accompany American citizenship—the right to full voting representation in Congress. This makes the United States the only nation in the world with a representative, democratic constitution that denies citizens of its capital representation in the national legislature. In fact, no fewer than 183 nations provide their citizens the type of representation citizens of Washington, DC are denied.

whats a power rack?