The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Waiting on a Star to Fall Hickory's Avatar

hurt back on deadlifts this morning :(

well luck hasn't been mine lately at the gym. today i went planning on doing shoulders/back and began my routine normally. my back was still a bit sore from squats on wednesday but i didn't think it was bad enough to affect my lifts. on my 3rd set of deadlifts i had 209 lbs. loaded on (was using olympic plates), and began the lift normally. i planned on doing 6 reps, but on my 3rd rep up i felt a small tug somewhere in my lower back. it didn't really hurt so i finished the rep and went up for the 4th, finished it, then got halfway up on the 5th and lowered it quickly because i felt like something worse was about to happen. i went straight home afterwards, and took some tylenol with a can of tuna and glass of milk. i can touch my toes while keeping my legs straight without feeling any pain really, but there's this constant uneasy feeling down there as well. i noticed in the car on the way home it hurt more to be sitting down than standing. hopefully this isn't something serious. i've been deadlifting for a month or 2 now, and figured i had pretty good form. i always keep the bar close to my body throughout the left, and only bend my knees slightly before beginning the ascent. it's ironic because just last night i was up late reading a few articles about deadlift related injuries.
    Disclaimer: This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would not recommend deadlifting with sore muscles. Even if they are only a little sore. More than likely you're fine, but resting is a good idea. It's normal to feel a little uneasy when you think you've just injured yourself. Start doing something to take your mind off the pain and the sense of uneasiness will fade. Try PS2 or something, works for me
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nissen
    I would not recommend deadlifting with sore muscles. Even if they are only a little sore. More than likely you're fine, but resting is a good idea. It's normal to feel a little uneasy when you think you've just injured yourself. Start doing something to take your mind off the pain and the sense of uneasiness will fade. Try PS2 or something, works for me
    you know, after i ate and posted this i went to the kitchen to clean the sensor on my camera and now it's not as 'uneasy' feeling as it was earlier. thanks for the advice i think i'll go play some march madness 05 on the ps2 now
    Last edited by Hickory; 12-18-2004 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory
    well luck hasn't been mine lately at the gym. today i went planning on doing shoulders/back and began my routine normally. my back was still a bit sore from squats on wednesday but i didn't think it was bad enough to affect my lifts. on my 3rd set of deadlifts i had 209 lbs. loaded on (was using olympic plates), and began the lift normally. i planned on doing 6 reps, but on my 3rd rep up i felt a small tug somewhere in my lower back. it didn't really hurt so i finished the rep and went up for the 4th, finished it, then got halfway up on the 5th and lowered it quickly because i felt like something worse was about to happen. i went straight home afterwards, and took some tylenol with a can of tuna and glass of milk. i can touch my toes while keeping my legs straight without feeling any pain really, but there's this constant uneasy feeling down there as well. i noticed in the car on the way home it hurt more to be sitting down than standing. hopefully this isn't something serious. i've been deadlifting for a month or 2 now, and figured i had pretty good form. i always keep the bar close to my body throughout the left, and only bend my knees slightly before beginning the ascent. it's ironic because just last night i was up late reading a few articles about deadlift related injuries.
    If you search a while back, I made a post about how I thought I seriously injured myself deadlifting just like you, well turns out, a couple days later the pain was gone

Hmm interesting, I have been doing deads for a couple months now myself.
    Combine them with squats, right after squats myself.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    If you're squatting high intensity it's really hard to throw in deads afterwards (for most people).
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    If you're squatting high intensity it's really hard to throw in deads afterwards (for most people).
    i'm with you on this, i tried that once and my back was very sore. I didnt like it. I love squats and deads but together trhey didnt work for me.

I do cleans now, and switch up between squats,cleans and deads for fun Its working out well for me.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

I wannabebig!
    I tried squats/deads on same day for a month, boy was it fun... not

Wannabebig Member
    Wow That Sucks, I Hurt My Back About 1 Month Ago Doing The Exact Same Thing. And Like You Said It Hurts More Sitting Than Standing; I Could Barely Drive Mine Hurt So Bad. But I Am Basically Better Now. I Went A Got 5 Real Good Massages. That Really Seemed To Work The Best

I've had recovery periods of 6-7+ days for squats. I certainly wouldn't want to be doing deads straight after

I think I might of confused a few of you. I did squats on Wednesday and my back was still a bit sore from doing them, I did DL's yesterday morning (Saturday). I think I'm going to give the back a break this coming Saturday (Christmas anyway..), and will probably resume DL's the following Saturday. I woke up this morning with surprisingly little soreness in the lower back. I still wonder what that 'pull' or 'movement' was I felt, though.

Is there a way OTHER than to squat high intensity?

Hmm, I just take a bit of a longer rest between squats and deads.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKNJOC
    Wow That Sucks, I Hurt My Back About 1 Month Ago Doing The Exact Same Thing. And Like You Said It Hurts More Sitting Than Standing; I Could Barely Drive Mine Hurt So Bad. But I Am Basically Better Now. I Went A Got 5 Real Good Massages. That Really Seemed To Work The Best
    Thank you admin for having an all-caps filter.

sqt-575-bnch-460-ddlft-650 @lien@ted's Avatar

I power cleaned yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    you know, after i ate and posted this i went to the kitchen to clean the sensor on my camera and now it's not as 'uneasy' feeling as it was earlier. thanks for the advice i think i'll go play some march madness 05 on the ps2 now
    And afterwards when I was running my back hurt like a SOB. I planned on hitting deads bright n' early this morning, but I will decline and simply combine iit with legs on Friday. Most of the time I will not DL if I am experiencing the tingling, nagging-type soreness.....Better to skip a day or so of deadlifts than to strain, sprain, orr pinch the wrong thing and end up not deadlifting (or perhaps even lifting at all) for months!

Wannabebig Member
    Gasp! A necropheliac!
    The Stats:
    Clean and Jerk:
    83.0 (Current) - 162.5 (Goal)
    Snatch:
    67.0 (Current) - 132.5 (Goal)
    Total:
    150.0 (Current) - 295 (Goal)

Weight:
    81(Current) - 105(Goal)

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post

i hurt myself last tuesday doing flys, but after thinking about it, its because i was back in the gym, with a tingle in my back from deads the day before....
    haven't been back since last tuesday
    going to physio tonight.....sucks bigtime!