The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Wannabe Beginner
    Very inspiring, both the story in the original post and Hatred's statement.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by TremL96 View Post
    I can relate. Right now to some of us it seems important. I have a feeling that for me too, it will fall off of my to-do list in the future. But hopefully I can try to somehow keep what I'll have already gained. But for now it's part of what I do with my time, it keeps me busy, I like it, and I like the results.

And I definately envy those people who don't feel being strong is important. I mean it's nice to be able to do things a little better or easier, but life would probably be a lot simpler if I didn't lift.
    Appearantly you do not really think life would be simpler, or you would have given up lifting. If you really believe it would be, then i would definitely pursue not lifting because you only get one chance to have the best life you possible can have.

I lift because i have been a non-lifter and it sure as hell didnt feel as good as it feels after i just finished a heavy deadlift day. I love being strong and i also love the fact that i am truly in control of my body. If i want it to gain weight it will and the same goes for loosing weight. Before lifting i was always battling my body, which at that time only wanted to do one thing, which was gain weight. After doing multiple "results in two weeks" diets i felt without control and condemned to be fat forever.

People here may seem obsessed, but in my opinion it is rather the extreme dedication that most people just not seem to possess regarding lifting weights. However, most people do tend to be extremely dedicated to something in their life. This could be work, videogames etc. This will cause people to not understand each other's dedication. I have a hard time understanding an elite gamer, while he probably doesnt understand why i would care about my physical appearance.

At this point in time, being 22, im still searching for the thing in life that with pure dedication will make me the best version of myself. I do know, that for now, it is lifting weights. This could change over time, obviously, as my persona will change. However, lifting has already given me this much, self respect and self confidence mainly, that it will always be a part of my life.

Bump

I love it when this thread gets bumped. Always good for a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    "You ask us for advice about diet and training and usually we politely offer some guidance, but deep inside we know you won't take our advice. You know that too.
    i know that scenario all too well.

this is a very inspiring story/dialog, seriously. im bookmarking this and making sure i read it any time i feel myself slipping. thanks for the post and bump
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

Wannabebig Member
    Very glad this got bumped for my reading pleasure.
    Thanks so much guys.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Since this thread was brought up today I am going to give it a bump.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Since this thread was brought up today I am going to give it a bump.
    Tom, you're a mod, is this worthy of being a sticky? Consider it our daily affirmation.

Bump!

Needed this today!

Wannabestronger
    A great write-up I never get tired of reading. And I continue to come in contact with "Bobs" where ever I go. Their physical appearance tends to reflect what's inside as well.
    Last edited by The Dare Devil; 01-15-2012 at 03:51 PM.

I realize that these days, I drink beer, eat potato chips, get up at a normal time of day, haven't done an early morning workout since I was 22, don't suck down protein shakes (candy bars taste better), and... I'm bigger, stronger, and leaner than the author.

So basically, dear author, chill the f out and have a beer.

How things change....
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Wannabebig Member
    When I stopped lifting for a while I had a recurring nightmare about hanging off the edge of a cliff and not being strong enough to pull myself back up because I was too weak.
    The other day I was reading about how neanderthal man would kick modern mans ass in a fist fight, back then it was a case of survival of the fittest; and men like Bob would never of came to be so weak in the first place.
    6'2@180lbs Lost weight (injury)

Saving for more weights or Gym membership
    Bulking back to 200,

Wannabebig Member
    awesome post..many thanks for that post!

very inspiring..

Havnt been on this site for years. Started training again two months ago. Working in catering industry meant 60-70 hour weeks, still always worked out, just not enough. Now im back to my four day split. Proud to be pushing 220 on squats already, although my bench is still weak. Oh well, this is just the beginning. Thanks for the inspirational article !
    It all comes down to "Light W e i g h t... babeh!", "Ain't nuthin but a peanut!" and "Yeahhhhh buddy!" - Ronnie Coleman

It's all about the benjamins....

And so it came to pass...

Weight: 85kg/13 Stone

bone crusher
    LOL all the recent comments very true no doubt. I would also add have a regular non wt lifting job.

Still this was a great read and it is great to rediscover the fire

Wannabebig Member Hardgainerwiz's Avatar
    That article is awesome.. this should be a sticky!!!

Always learning
    Nice read.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin_Big View Post
    Nice article.
    1%.....
    can't be that few
    btw, I have the nice gut and more fat that bob prolly does and yet I can jog like a mile, so wtf, i'm getting screwed. : )
    I've read a similar article about martial arts - same undedicated bruce-lee-wannabes coming in for a 3-month trial and dropping it as soon as they get their black belts. Oh... if they only knew the REAL training begins at black belt

This used to motivate me when I first started out..

Now, as I got older, I realized that if I think I am better than anyone ("them") because I lift fucking weights, than I probably should take a long, hard look in the mirror.