The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Toughest gym decision today

Not going. Hit with a Christmas cold; mild, but feel like semi-crap. Planned on going, still could, but an hour before I planned on leaving, mentally fought with myself & made the right decision to stay home. Motivated as H***, tried to compromise & plan on a moderate workout, sweat it out, etc. In the end, just said 'no'. Gym is closed til Mon. & I usually avoid Mon. so will be a 4 day break. It'll be good, but I'll be chomping at the bit. Plan on feeding the cold like a horse, so don't expect to lose any wgt.

Bottom line: if you're sick, don't train. Coming from someone who at this moment is technically, sick. It sucks, but it's the right decision.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Depends on the type of sickness. If it's just a cold, moderate exercise might be beneficial. If it's the flu, get your rest. Four days off isn't going to hurt ya, though.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Taking the 4. Part of it is too; doesn't feel right passing it on to other lifters. It's an individual thing, but like you say, the time off won't hurt-cept mentally!

I disagreee. only reason not to lift is if you have a broken bone or something along those lines

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    I disagreee. only reason not to lift is if you have a broken bone or something along those lines
    ^Is truly one of the dumbest things I have ever read on the net.

Quagmire wannabe
    You obviously have never had food poisoining or a bad case of the flu.
    He who hesitates masturbates........

Quote Originally Posted by fen2zla
    you people are different than me. You have different ways of doing things. But that's what separates some people from other people. This goes beyond weight training.

Quagmire wannabe
    So your telling me that you would still be able, and willing, to lift weights when you have a bad case of food poisoining? I think not.

This isn't a bad case of the flu or food poisoning, it's a common cold. Christ almighty, there are people with much worse ailments who have to do much harder and more miserable things than sit in a heated gym for a couple of hours.

If I get a cold, I have to cycle 10 miles in the wind and rain to get to work, and back again, whilst working a 12 hour shift, otherwise I lose my job, and you're whining about sitting in a warm car then doing a bit of weightlifting?

So your telling me that you would still be able, and willing, to lift weights when you have a bad case of food poisoining? I think not.
    yes i would thank you

Quagmire wannabe
    yes i would thank you
    That's the spirit.

"So your telling me that you would still be able, and willing, to lift weights when you have a bad case of food poisoining? I think not."

I have, trying to work out with mad sh*ts is fun!

hummmmm GMC! WELL I'VE been very sick before and tried lifting didn't work so what if you take a couple of days off what will happen? you're sick take time off big deal! i rather rest it off then cause myself an injury IMO
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    you people are different than me. You have different ways of doing things. But that's what separates some people from other people. This goes beyond weight training.

Working out when you are sick (as opposed to a light cold) is foolish. Here's why. Working out lowers your immune system. Your immune system is already burdened with fighting the sickness, and overloading it with weight training will just allow the virus a stronger hold on your body, thus either making you sicker or making you take longer to recover (depending on the type of illness you have). Generally speaking, the most sensible thing to do when you are ill is NOT to train. This is not simply a different way of doing things, it is the most sensible way. But yes, in most cases a common cold does not fall under this category.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    Working out when you are sick (as opposed to a light cold) is foolish. Here's why. Working out lowers your immune system. Your immune system is already burdened with fighting the sickness, and overloading it with weight training will just allow the virus a stronger hold on your body, thus either making you sicker or making you take longer to recover (depending on the type of illness you have). Generally speaking, the most sensible thing to do when you are ill is NOT to train. This is not simply a different way of doing things, it is the most sensible way. But yes, in most cases a common cold does not fall under this category.
    AGREED
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quagmire wannabe
    :withstupi

It's just common sense. But then again, common sense is uncommon.

Good stuff here even Superdeath & GMC. Sticking to my decision. Been doing a 4 on 3 off routine & only get sick twice a year at the most. IF there's heat in my gym, it's all at the front desk.

It's an individual thing & there can be a difference between taking off from a workout & blowing off a workout + depending on the intensity of training whether the quality would be down. Just opted for the rest & recuperation & chow vs a lethargic or a sh** workout. Agreed, a cold can be a 'wussout' but I'll be energized & motivated come Mon.

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by superdeathflame
    If I get a cold, I have to cycle 10 miles in the wind and rain to get to work, and back again, whilst working a 12 hour shift, otherwise I lose my job, and you're whining about sitting in a warm car then doing a bit of weightlifting?
    Just because you can physically do it doesn't mean it's good for muscle growth.

Or the scoots. Nothing like dropping a$$ on your way up from a deep squat
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

you do you what you want and I will do what i want, ok?

GMCtrk i think you're all talk and that's about it, if you have a fever of 103-104 and can't even get up from bed you think you would lift weights? id like to be there and laught at you trying to squat with a 103-104 fever. but like you say, we all have our opinions and here is mine, i would laught at your ass.
    Work out to build natural muscles that's my motivation.
    Not for other people to look at me and not to look at my self.

Quote Originally Posted by awakeye
    GMCtrk i think you're all talk and that's about it, if you have a fever of 103-104 and can't even get up from bed you think you would lift weights? id like to be there and laught at you trying to squat with a 103-104 fever. but like you say, we all have our opinions and here is mine, i would laught at your ass.
    And who would get the last laugh as he walks up and coughs all over you?
    6'2 206

Quote Originally Posted by Ares
    And who would get the last laugh as he walks up and coughs all over you?
    huh?...
    Work out to build natural muscles that's my motivation.
    Not for other people to look at me and not to look at my self.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    you do you what you want and I will do what i want, ok?

Certainly. I was under the impression though that you wished (among other things) to not raise the potential for long-term harm to your immune system. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 12-24-2004 at 09:08 PM.