Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAT Experiences

Footballer

SAT Experiences

I'm writing my SAT on Saturday I was wondering how other people did. I'm aiming for around 1200 maybe 1300, I know the general format but just looking for some tips from people who have already written it.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

what is an SAT in canada?
    in the US its the SAT = Standardized Achievement Test, which is a multiple choice typa thing.

I assume by your use of the word "written" that your required to write a paper of some sort?

Footballer
    No I'm writing the SAT that you americans write, because I'm looking to play football in the states.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

there is no SAT's in canada, which si good. But i wouldn't mind taking an SAT just to see how i do.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Footballer
    There is SAT's in canada it's for canadian students who want to go play down south or go tro school down south and it's the same test the americans write.
    Last edited by BigRic; 10-05-2004 at 10:22 PM.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRic
    and it's the same test the americans right.
    You better use the correct spelling of a word if you're looking to get 1200-1300.

Footballer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    You better use the correct spelling of a word if you're looking to get 1200-1300.
    thanks, but it's multiple choice
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Well, I was in the midst of football season when my coach handed out forms that were already filled out with all our information, and said we'd be taking the SATs in two days. Those two days were filled with extremely rough practices and I didn't get in a lick of studying.

Test day I ate no breakfast and almost overslept. I had to borrow pencils and a calculator. Miraculously, I scored 730 on both verbal and math.

After football season (during which I took another Sat, 0 preparation--1450) I got my hands on a friend's SAT study guide and read a couple of the strategies for test taking. I took a timed practice test and scored like 1510 or somewhere thereabouts. Anyway, read some literature....it'll help

Footballer
    Yah I'm kinda worried about verbal, I took a practice test and got 570 on verbal though.
    how many questions is it all together and in each section?
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

I got a 1350 on the SAT. There are ways to prepare for it. Try http://www.princetonreview.com

I did not do any preperation, and still recieved a good score. It is really basic math and reading skills, but put in a timed format so to make you have to think under pressure.

There is also a lot of ways to cheat. One of my friends took a pocket dictionary, and glued it to the inside of his calculator cover, than took it out, and used it on the anaolgies when he did not know a word.

This is the thread where everyone takes their real SAT scores, adds 1000 to them, then says how easy it was.

there was a major change in the SAT format in fall '94 which made it "easier", thusly national average scores went up.

an SAT score of 1000+ in the late eighties, early 90's was pretty darn good. now it's average at best.

1200 should be pretty easy to get, but, IMO the best way to prepare for a standardized test is to find as many practice tests (or test questions) as possible and take them. They ask the same types of questions all the time, so you should get a feel for what they are asking for and how to answer through practice.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

I don't remember being allowed to use a calculator when I took the SAT's back in 93 or 94

I went hung over and got a 1600... my advice to you: learn to relax. People miss so many damn questions on this test that they should know because of pressure. Realize that there are no surprises, and given enough time you could answer any question right, and you'll do fine.

Answer every question. Don't leave any blank unless you absolutely have no clue whatsoever... statistically, you're only penalized if you completely guess among all the available options. If you can eliminate even one choice, you'll come out ahead by guessing.

Also, study your vocab. That is the one part where you might find yourself going "huh"? You can't learn too many words, and you can't over-study for this part. Go wild; that's what those princeton review courses will do for you anyway.

Good luck.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I've asked this on another board but got no response: Could anyone post a good link where I can do one online? Always wanted to know how I would measure up to the US education system.

Google: SAT practice test
    there are 1.29 million results...wade through them...here are two.

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/...e/np/test.html
    http://www.4tests.com/exams/examdetail.asp?eid=6

Well I wanted to avoid the wading. I assumed you would know what to look for regarding quality, as I cannot know in this case. So thanks.

Damn, left school a bit too long ago. Did the 4test one, the math-section of which was quite hard IMO. Over 80% of my mistakes were in that section! Still would have passed easily. What is the maximum score on a full SAT? I gather 1500 is quite good, but what percentage would that be? (mine was 74.31%)
    Last edited by phreak; 10-06-2004 at 11:44 AM.

think of it this way: the SAT is good practice for the real killer tests -- the GRE, LSAT, MCAT and DAT.

*is not a big fan of the games section on the GRE and/or the LSAT*

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by phreak
    What is the maximum score on a full SAT? I gather 1500 is quite good, but what percentage would that be? (mine was 74.31%)
    1600 yielding you an 1190~.

I didn't do that well on the SAT, but I did well on the ACT.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

memorize as many new words as you can until then. make sure you know "ambiguous" and "ambivalent" memorizing words WILL make a difference.

make sure you sleep and eat a nice breakfast, and don't take crappy #2 pencils. use a nice lead pencil w/ softish HB lead. unless you're really fond of regular wood pencils or something...

i got 1440 then a 1360. quite the drop ... a lot of it is luck, based on what kind material is on your particular test.

if you've done the proper preparation, 1200-1300 should be quite attainable.

good luck dude!

4tests question:

"8 is what percent of the 6?"

Hmm, I wonder if an American wrote this...

the average score is around 1,026 outta 1.4 mil students that took it in 03.

The test is a 1200 point swing. the lowest you can get is a 400, the highest a 1600.

Here is a conversion chart for pre 1996 SAT scores to todays
    http://www.greenes.com/html/convert.htm

Here is a chart showing national avg of SAT to HS GPA
    http://www.powerprep.com/satimpro.htm

Quote Originally Posted by galileo
    1600 yielding you an 1190~.
    actually it might be a 1290
    (1200 *.7431) + 400
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 10-06-2004 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    actually it might be a 1290
    (1200 *.7431) + 400
    You're right. Perhaps it would be just 1200 * .7431 as you don't enter your name on this site.

The 4tests questions are pretty lame. A lot of them I'm questioning the validity of and some of them are plain terrible.