Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dwight Freeney

Hybrid View

Dwight Freeney

God this guy is a stud. You hardly hear his name from announcers unless it's an actual Colts game, but this guy leads the league in sacks, and has to be one of the most dominant linebackers in the game. I couldn't believe watching last night that Ogden was actually getting help in defending Freeney. Dwight is ~260lbs going up against a lifetime pro-bowler that is 350lbs, and Freeney burned him on almost every down.

If the Colts can draft a couple more playmakers on defense they could be one scary dynasty for some time...well, I guess they need to get to the big game first.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Banned
    I thought Freeney was a DE, not an LB.

And yes he's a playmaker. Their 2nd best DE is Mathis and he's 235lbs!!! Even smaller!

Oh, and the Colts REALLY need some d-linemen that can at least be immovable. They have one of the smaller D-Lines in the league. Larry Tripplett and that Reagor guy don't scare anyone. Tripplett's the biggest at 290something but the rest of the d-line are like 275-280

if I was trying to improve the Colts D, I'd trade for or draft the biggest, meanest DT I could find, both to plug up the middle and also to draw blockers away from Freeney. Then I'd nab a fast, active LB like Green Bay's Nick Barnett or Dan Morgan or one of those LBs that Florida seems to generate every year.

Err, yes defensive end. I agree that they need to get tough on the inside. I think their corners aren't bad, they have been getting turnovers all year now, so if they can get someone that could plug the run even a bit they would be much improved.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

MACHINE
    There are lots of excellent DE's out there, but Freeney is definitely near the top of the list for his physical abilities. Other guys like Freeney, Jevon Kearse, Andre Carter, Simeon Rice can utilize their speed, agility, and explosiveness in unique ways, making them very entertaining to watch.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

I think it's funny how his spin move has become so succesful that all the Colts are doing it now as a means to get to the QB. it looks like theyre all dancing and twirling away at every snap.

Colts D has turned a 180 since the beginning of the season. Not that they are even in the top 10 or 15 for D, but certainly not the laughing stock of the league anymore.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

I'd take Julius Peppers over any other DE, including Freeney. He's much better against the pass, has potential on offense, probably has the best hands of any lineman in the game. Not to mention he almost won the game for Carolina on Saturday.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I'd take Julius Peppers over any other DE, including Freeney. He's much better against the pass, has potential on offense, probably has the best hands of any lineman in the game. Not to mention he almost won the game for Carolina on Saturday.
    Also, I think Michael Vick is a much better quarterback than Freeney.
    I think Terrell Owens is a better WR than Freeney.
    I think Mike Ditka is a better COACH than Freeney.

oddly enough, none of that other **** matters because this thread is about Freeney.

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan
    Also, I think Michael Vick is a much better quarterback than Freeney.
    I think Terrell Owens is a better WR than Freeney.
    I think Mike Ditka is a better COACH than Freeney.

oddly enough, none of that other **** matters because this thread is about Freeney.
    Unless it's about sucking Freeney's dick, comparison of Freeney to other players at his position makes a whole lot of sense to me. He's so great? Compared to?

I might have to disagree with you on Vick.

Current FFFA Enforcer

thats whats so great about him. nobody compares to him.

*puts on his Freeney jersey for kicks*
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

If we go by sacks then one guy he's better than is Peppers.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 12-20-2004 at 12:51 PM.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    If we go by sacks then one guy he's better than is Peppers.
    Yes, I was amazed to find out that, as NFL sack leader, Freeney has more SACKS THAN ANYONE ELSE!!!! OMG!!!!!

Peppers is far better at defending the pass. Freeney is a better sacker. Peppers is a better DE.

just keep in mind that his position doesnt consist of a sack or nothing. he is also the best at making a QB force a crummy throw. I guess there is no stat for it, so it doesnt show on paper. he is a QB's worst nightmare.

Peppers is an awesome athlete though, and it may just be the bias Colts fan in me but I'd rather have Freeney on my team.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    just keep in mind that his position doesnt consist of a sack or nothing. he is also the best at making a QB force a crummy throw. I guess there is no stat for it, so it doesnt show on paper. he is a QB's worst nightmare.

Peppers is an awesome athlete though, and it may just be the bias Colts fan in me but I'd rather have Freeney on my team.
    Passes defended? That's a critical pass defense stat. Interceptions? Peppers dominates both categories. It's impossible to really measure hurries.

Hell, what about tackles? Peppers has 50 to Freeney's 30 this year.

I agree that Freeney is very good, but he's not a dominanant defensive player like Peppers. He just looks good compared to the rest of the crappy Colts D-line. :P

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Passes defended? That's a critical pass defense stat.
    Peppers has 7, Freeney has 2. How critical is that?

Current FFFA Enforcer

Footballer
    Also you could add freeneys sacks to his pass defended. because a sack is a pass defended.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Footballer
    Peppers and Freeney, are both good players, Peppers has more tackles, and Interceptions, Freeney has more sacks, and more fumbles caused. They're different players, who are good at different things.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Please suck peppers dick in your own thread homer boy.

Peppers might be better, but your logic isn't. One guy sacks better, the other pass protects better, and all of a sudden pass protection outweighs pressure on the QB?

How many passes are thrown into the ground, or the stands, or rushed and picked off because of a good pass rush. Both are outstanding DEs.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Bah, webb typed it first but I thought it first. *grumble*

Current FFFA Enforcer

lol youre a mod you could just switch it

6'2"
    273 lbs.

i dont JO get beat amost everyplay, there were a lot of play in there, and with two studs going agaisnt each other....id say that freeney won maybe 15% of the time, which means that prolly every 10 plays he won 1 or 2, and gainst JO that is saying something, your forgetting that jamal also had a BIG game, but still only managed like 1 sack or so, that and boller doesnt know how to step up in the pocket, which doesnt help it either

but yes iw as very impressed, ive yet to see someone do as well agaisnt JO as he did, i think he and Peppers are on the same level, elite DEs in the league, and Id love to have him on my team any day, hes not that huge but his quickness and tenacity easily makes up for it

sacking Boller isnt the impressive part of his game last night.

what was impressive was that he had 2 sacks with Ogden blocking him. Ogden had to recruit help in blocking him. for those who dont recall Ogden is a pro-bowl lineman himself, considered elite in his own position, and Freeney made him look foolish.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

yea ogden is a probowler but he's a big probowler, im sure ogden could more easily stop a bigger better but slower de then freeney
    and i dont know why richard seamour hasnt been mentioned here, being one of the top DE's no question, ask anyone who's seen all of these guys (announcers etc..) Seamour doesnt get an insane amount of sacks, but only because he's held litereally 3 times a game, where he would've otherwise got an open shot at the qb. there should really be a stat for that. (holding = ten yard loss anyway) Another guy who is now flying under the radar is Jason Taylor... forgot about him? Maybe you have, but only because he commands AT LEAST 2 blockers, on EVERY PLAY. Ask any head coach and they will tell you while freeney is very good and agile, Seamour and Thomas are right there with him. Freeney is just beginning to command the respect thomas was (see: ogden receives help to block him last night).
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

One of my primary points though, was that you rarely hear Freeney's name mentioned, unless it's a Colt game, when defensive players are brought up. I myself was surprised to find out he was leading the league in sacks. His next sack will be his 40th in his first three career years, which I'd figure would warrant him a bit more respect in said conversations. Guys like Peppers everyone knows is good, since he always gets tons of airtime love.

Current FFFA Enforcer

They showed the stat last night how Freeney is only the 4th player in NFL history to get at least 15 sacks in his first 3 years. Reggie White was first on the list and I'm drawing a complete blank on the other two.

I agree that his name should be mentioned more. I also want to add how much I hate ESPN announcers. They would be excellent members of this site the way they bicker and try to outdo one another lol. They always flip flop on the teams that are playing, one seconf its praise Manning and how he cant be stopped. the next second its they always knew the ravens were the one team who could stop Manning. silliness.

6'2"
    273 lbs.