Thread: how long does it take to get results?

Wannabebig Member

how long does it take to get results?

I just recently got a weight bench and have been lifting 3-4 times a week for about 5 weeks. But i kind of slack off sometimes and miss days and i dont always finish my sets. I can feel my muscles tight now but have not gotten any bulk yet.

So my question is, how long does it take to start getting bulky, how intense should my workout be if i want decent results?

Wannabebig Member
    To start with, only 5 weeks in you shouldn't be at the point of slacking off. You have to think of it as a lifestyle change in order to get good results, no just a quick way to get big. IMO with consistant excercise, a good workout plan and a healthy diet you should see something in 8-12 weeks.SG1
    You get what you give.

Just from personal experience and talking with other people. Most that are new to weightlifting get discouraged within a month and quit and the few that stick it out start noticing results in about 6 weeks. So don't give up 5 weeks is more than most...

Quagmire wannabe
    Make sure your diet is adequate if your wanting to bulk.
    What is your diet like now?
    What is your routine like?
    He who hesitates masturbates........

Wannabebig Member
    I dont really know what I'm doing since i just started. The only things i know are from this little book that came with my weight set. I dont really count calories but i eat lots of meats and other foods. I gained a little over 5lbs the past month, i dunno if thats good or bad?

Same goes for my routine. I lift as much as i can but i dont have a schedule. There are times when i lift everyday of the week, then others when i take a 4 day break. i do 8reps/2sets bench pressing, 10reps/2sets preacher curls, 10reps/2sets tricep pushdown. I want to work out my arms, shoulders, and pecs.

Also, what do i do to increase my forearm strength? ii forget the name of the muscle but its the one between ur elbow and hand.

Read up more marino. That you do routine will get you nowhere fast. Read up on bulking diets and try the WBB routines. One more thing, don't be a sissy and work your whole body.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Trying to learn on the fly
    i'm with max. read read and read some more. try doing wbb 1 and if you have any questions on what the exercises are, go to http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html . also make sure you start a good diet. read the sticky about what a bodybuilder eats(health and nutrition) to find out what is good to eat

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    I started noticing results in 2 weeks going 3 times a week to the gym. my buddy pushed me in the right direction and i was dedicated. Now I dont think I could every go back to not working out...to lose everything you can gain would be a heartbreaker.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Hey Marino. Welcome to WBB. If you say you gained 5 lbs, that's a good start. You probably won't notice a whole lot of change from that especially if you are comparing day to day or wekk to week. Maybe take some pictures of yourself, then do it again after a few weeks. Sometimes it takes seeing yourself how you were to be able to notice the payoff of your hard work. And finally, keep eating a lot of good clean foods. Good luck and stick with it!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

"results" are relative to what you think a big change is.
    For myself it takes 2-3 years between seeing results...
    and I'm not talking about the differences between bulking and cutting...
    I'm talking about putting on 15-25 pounds of LBM which changes ur body whether ur carry excess bf or not.

and if you half ass it and dont know what ur doing u may only gain 2-4 lbs of lbm per year, in which case it'll take you about 5-10 years to see "results"
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 12-22-2004 at 11:07 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    hey i started benching this summer for 40 lbs yea yea 40 lbs well 6 month later i am at 160 lbs will try to hit 200 lbs in 6 more month

imo what helped me the most is working out my back
    Last edited by kairar; 12-22-2004 at 12:35 PM.

I've kept a journal since i started four months ago...read back, improvements are in black and white...so the advise i would give is keep a log of everything you do.
    Good luck.
    My Signature is built by Sonor...Greatest drums in the world.
    My Training Journal..http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...80#post1249780

Quote Originally Posted by SteveEU
    I've kept a journal since i started four months ago...read back, improvements are in black and white...so the advise i would give is keep a log of everything you do.
    Good luck.
    This is what I do too. Every excercise, every set, every rep is recorded. When you see the improvement on paper, you get motivated.

I've been back at it for about 4 months and the improvement is quite noticeable.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.