Thread: Warm-Up

Warm-Up

Hey Y'all,
    I have a question about WBB Routine #1. Are there any warm-up sets, or do I just go into the gym, stretch and start lifting?
    Thanks,
    blu

you should always have some kinda warm up in ur workout, whether it involves stretching or warm up sets, never go cold ::thumbsup::
    For some, Kryptonite doesn't exist......

Pledge allegiance to the Nation of Pump!!
    November 2007 Stats
    255 lbs
    320 Bench
    525 Squat
    550 Dead lift

stretching is not a warm up, stretching on "cold" muscles is not good, it may increase injury. I suggest warm up first for 7 or so minutes, than stretch when your nice and warm.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Banned
    yes always warmup... ill use an example of my bench warm up. isnt much

135x10 up fast down slow
    225x5 then i jump into the 275/280/ 290 whatever i feel like doing and do it

Wannabebig Member
    Stretching cold is a bad idea, and light cardio doesn't quite do it for me all the time. I would suggest a dynamic warm up routine. If you have never done this before, you will be amazed at how much better you feel going into your workout. Every strength coach and successful athlete I have worked with has implemented at least some aspects of a routine like this into their warmup. Here is just an example of what it might look like to start.

power skips 2x50ft
    walking lunges 2x50ft
    burpees 2x10 reps
    leg swings (side) 2x15
    leg swings (front to back) 2x15
    caterpillar walks 2x25ft

Not only will the muscles be ready to go, but your CNS will be firing too. Remember especially for heavy and technical lifts you need the brain to be warmed up too. I will probably be adding a warm - up section to my video webpage let me know if there is anything you would like to see.
    "Friends come and go, but 200 pounds will always be 200 pounds." - Henry Rollins

Wannabebig Member
    So you just do your warm up sets, and then go right into the actualy work out?

Quote Originally Posted by RussianRocket
    stretching is not a warm up, stretching on "cold" muscles is not good, it may increase injury. I suggest warm up first for 7 or so minutes, than stretch when your nice and warm.
    I also might add to this, do a 6-8 minute cardio, like a slow jog or somthing. Then do streches.

noob
    so, say for example i'm doing 2 sets of 8 on bb bench with 175lbs, would i put on say 95, and rep it 10 times somewhat fast, then jump rope for 5 minutes, then strech then start wbb1?

Banned
    all i do for my warmup is stretch. that's pretty bad i need to do more. i'm still on somewhat light weights though. i need to get into the habit of proper warmup though.

noob
    Quote Originally Posted by BranndonC
    so, say for example i'm doing 2 sets of 8 on bb bench with 175lbs, would i put on say 95, and rep it 10 times somewhat fast, then jump rope for 5 minutes, then strech then start wbb1?
    TTT anyone?