Thread: DB Press, Not Really A Power Lift

DB Press, Not Really A Power Lift

Okay so I'm big into powerlifting movements and want to hit my chest really hard. I've been doing DB Presses since they seem to wake my chest up better than regular flat bench. I've recently dropped reps per set and focused on around 5 solid reps per. This has been the format for Deads and Squats. Been working well by the way. My question is, would this be a good format for DB Press as well? I'm thinking 6 sets with a target rep range of 3-5. Will this be productive?
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

I can't see why it would be any different than what you've been doing for bench. Give it a try.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Wannabebig Member
    I have recently changed all of my barbell pressing to dbell work in the 4-6 rep range. My strength is going up every week, I would definitely give it a try.

In just three weeks this is where I have gone

Seated dbell shoulder
    6reps @115's > 6 reps @125's

dbell incline press
    6 reps @ 125 > 6 reps @140's
    "Friends come and go, but 200 pounds will always be 200 pounds." - Henry Rollins

brad u gotta be a beast to kick up 140's...I can't stabilize myself kicking up anything more than 110-115, once I kick em up and lay back (one motion) the weight just keeps going back and I can't control them unless I have a spotter to stop their momentum. Granted once they are in pressing position the weight is fine...its just getting them up and stabilized thats the hard part
    do you have any tricks to doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    ...its just getting them up and stabilized thats the hard part. do you have any tricks to doing it?
    Probably hold your breath, close your eyes, and pray they don't fall on your face.

Well I upped the weight last night and dropped to 8 reps per set. Then I did incline bench (bb) and put up 4-5 reps per set with 135 lbs. Nothing impressive but it seemed to hit things just right. Oh and I did 5 sets. I'm going to stick with this for a handful of sessions and see how my body responds. Thanks for the input fellas.

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

YOur db benching might be getting stronger but is your bench with a bar.

I wannabebig!
    brad u gotta be a beast to kick up 140's...I can't stabilize myself kicking up anything more than 110-115, once I kick em up and lay back (one motion) the weight just keeps going back and I can't control them unless I have a spotter to stop their momentum. Granted once they are in pressing position the weight is fine...its just getting them up and stabilized thats the hard part
    every try power hooks?

Wannabebig Member
    I'm not sure that I have any secrets to getting them up there. I just make sure that when I kick each dbell up, I'm catching them close together on my front delt/upper chest with a neutral grip, then I rotate them to my regular pronated grip. Whenever I am going that heavy I always have a spotter to give me a bump on the first rep (which I don't count), this helps a great deal with stabilizing the dbells for the rest of the set. I could get a clip of me doing it, but you are probably doing it right.
    "Friends come and go, but 200 pounds will always be 200 pounds." - Henry Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by Darracq
    YOur db benching might be getting stronger but is your bench with a bar.
    Yes.

My bench increases the most when I use db press as my staple for chest development. I have made the best gains in bench by doing all db movement for 10 weeks. On the 11th week I will do 5 or 6 sets of flat bench with low rep ranges and near max weight to get an idea of where I'm at. Then on the 12th week I will attempt my max lift. The previous week gives me a good idea of what that max will be, and I do 3 or 4 warm up sets accordingly, then 2 attempts at the max lift. Works really well. But as I was saying, my max lift has always increased the most when I condition myself in those first 10 weeks with all db movements. Adding the incline bench with a bar is going to be a first. But I think it will be a good addition.
    Last edited by Tim Nissen; 12-24-2004 at 02:23 PM.

hot damn. 115's and 140's thats a lot of weight. kudos

That is nice weight Brad!

Tim, I think the low rep dumbbell routine is a nice idea. You may even want to play with 2-3 rep sets.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Tim what have you gained on your max bench from this? Like say 225 to 250, could you give an example. Have you ever cycled a regular bench for 12 weeks, and db gave you better results? They seem so different to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bill
    Tim what have you gained on your max bench from this? Like say 225 to 250, could you give an example. Have you ever cycled a regular bench for 12 weeks, and db gave you better results? They seem so different to me.
    I used to do only bench and incline bench for about a year or more. So yes, I've done that with little results. After my first 12 weeks with db's I put 15-20 lbs on my max and pushed myself past 200 lb bench press for the first time ever. I've never put that much on my bench in 3 months.

Let me ask you, have you ever done 12 weeks with only db's? You're missing out on a lot if you haven't. Maybe just bring a few sets of db's in and keep your bench. I'm willing to bet it will do wonders for you if you haven't. I hit those the hardest at the beginning of my chest routine and that seems to do the trick for me.

chris - I will definitely try a 2-3 rep range. I will probably do that on the last few sets. I will attempt a rep range of 3-5 on the first 3 or 4 sets.
    Last edited by Tim Nissen; 12-26-2004 at 01:19 PM.

I have added some db work, but like the others find it hard to get them in place when they get heavy. Also I work out alone and its easier to ask for a spot on the bench. blah
    Tim good gain. I just prefer bb because I can use more wt., but after this may throw some more db work back in.

Good deal bill. I know what you mean about the weight getting heavy and hard to get the db's in the right position. I think they can be a benefit to any routine. The degree is all up to the person though. You have to do what works for your body.