The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

The more I read, the more I get confused

Just what the title says. I think i'm headed in the right direction and I see that I need to go in another direction. I feel like I'm going around in circles and not getting anywhere. I'm trying to get a solid routine together, but find problems in each. I can't decide whether or not to train to failure or near failure, since I don't have a spotter? Full-body workouts vs. push/pull? 3-day vs. 4-day splits? It may not seem complicated to you guys, but for me, its got me all confused.

Now if that wasn't bad enough, then comes the diet. I look at the calories of food I typically eat and it doesn't seem like i'm eating anywhere near as much as I should while trying to bulk and I can't even see how I can eat that much.

I have gotten back in the gym after a loooooooong layoff. I started a couple months ago. 4 weeks into the gym I gained 12lbs going from 5'11" @145 to 157lbs. Then I messed up my shoulder in the gym. I gave myself a 2 weeks for my shoulder to heal up. I went back into the gym but only to reaggrivate my shoulder again a week later. It's been about a week I haven't gone. Since I started working out again, I have been dedicated to this site reading up everything I can, about routines and diets. This is where I feel like I'm clueless as to what steps I need to take.

Another thing...

Since this last week that I've taken off from working out, I have realized that I have a lot more energy when I get home from work. This is why I'm thinking that I might be doing too much at the gym or even worse, NOT GETTING ENOUGH TO EAT.

Sorry about the long post, but I just want to give you guys a rundown of what is going through my head and want to see if you guys can help me out in any way. Thanks guys.
    ANYTHING can happen on a TUESDAY!!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think you should stop worrying so much about precision in everything.
    I'm making progress by just eating, lifting and sleeping. Obviously it could be more rapid if I trained like I was going to compete or something, but I think you should just smell the roses

I stopped to smell the roses and a thorn went in my eye.

I just figure if I'm going to do something, might as well do it right.

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    your thinking too much...

your right, there are a lot of routines out there. but that is because everyone has different genetics. There are a few standards to lifting that can go across the board and provide a start for lifting in general, its only after time invested that one can tweak the standards and experiemnt to find an optimal routine for their own use.

depending on how long you have been working out, stick with the basics...dont over think it. this site has a few routines (wbb1 -2) that work great on their own.

whatever you do, just stick with something for at least three months to make an educated evaluation of a routine and how it worked or didnt work for you.

but the gym is one side of the coin, on the other side is diet....that can take longer to figure out than finding the routine that works for you.

and each diet is specific to each goal (bulking, cutting, maintaining)

in order for you not to get lost in the hub-bub...make short term goals (think of every three months as a goal), then orientate your routine and diet to suit those specific goals......
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    their are so many routines because so many of them work, al i can say is experiment with each style of routine that interest you for about 6weeks and see what kinda results you get from them after you experiment see which one works best for you. like they said each routine is different because everybody is different, all i can say is experiment 6 weeks at a time and take this time to learn your body to see what works the best
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

I've tried the wbb 1 routine and liked it to an extent. I didn't like the fact that chest and back were on the same day cuz by the time I was done with chest, i barely had any energy to do back. I decided to do chest/bis, legs/shoulders, and back/tris. That worked out really good for my arms, good for my back and legs, but my chest wasn't getting anywhere. I kept progressing in weight, but wasn't seeing any size gains. I know people say it's genetics, but I KNOW my chest gets big. It was once, it's just that I can't get it back to where I want it to be. While doing this routine, I put on almost 20lbs of LBM in a month and a half of HARD work. My diet wasn't in check, but I still grew. I would mostly attribute that to muscle memory. After that I got sick, then injured and just stopped.

When I first started working out 8 yrs ago, I was doing the following routine and made good gains with it...

Monday: Chest
    4 sets BB BP x 10,8,6,6
    4 sets Incline BP x 10,8,6,6
    4 sets Decline BP x 10,8,6,6
    4 sets Cable Crossovers x 12, 12, 12, 12
    4 sets Under Crossovers x 12, 12, 12 ,12

Tuesday: Back
    4 sets pulldowns x 10, 8, 6, 6
    4 sets db BO rows x 10, 8, 6, 6
    4 sets seated rows x 10, 8, 6, 6
    4 sets pullups x as many as I could do

Wednesdays: Shoulders
    4 sets side lat raises x 10, 8, 6, 6
    4 sets front lat raises x 10, 8, 6, 6
    4 sets Military presses x 10, 8,6, 6
    4 sets reverse flyes x 10, 8, 6, 6

Thursdays: Arms
    4 sets BB Curls x 10, 8, 6, 6
    4 sets Standing alternating curls x 10, 8, 6, 6
    4 sets concentration curls x 10, 8, 6, 6
    1 set of 21s
    4 sets close-grip bench x 10, 8, 6, 6
    4 sets v-bar pushdowns x 10, 8, 6, 6
    4 sets skulls x 10, 8, 6, 6
    1 dropset pushdowns (the dip on where you're seated)

Friday: Chest again with the same exercises and sets as Monday

Sat and Sun: Rest

Only my final sets of each exercises would be to failure. Like I said, my chest was big, my arms as well. Back then I didn't care much for back, so i didn't really care what they looked like. As you can see, this routine is A LOT different than what anyone does here or advocates.

well, if your have a routine that you are happy with once upon a time...stick with that.

my own routines for myself have a TON of volume, but thats how I like to work and grow. anything less I dont grow.
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Timastyle
    ...As you can see, this routine is A LOT different than what anyone does here or advocates.
    Yes, you were neglecting working your lower body. To gain mass, you need to work your entire body which includes the legs. You want to jumpstart your mass building? Work your lower body and add squats and/or deadlifts.
    A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

res firma mitescere nescit

I've been getting great response from lesser volume from all my muscles except for chest. I am thinking of upping the volume to how it was before and see how that goes. That's where I start throwing myself off as to how to go about doing it to optimize my time at the gym

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesAB
    Yes, you were neglecting working your lower body. To gain mass, you need to work your entire body which includes the legs. You want to jumpstart your mass building? Work your lower body and add squats and/or deadlifts.

OOF! good call, I didnt even see that....
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's

I do work my lower body now. I do squats and romanian deads. Those type of deads are the only ones that don't give my lower back problems.

I was thinking maybe doing a routine like this...

Monday: Tris/Chest (tris first so that my chest has to do most of the work when I'm actually trying to do chest exercises)
    Tuesday: Back/Bis
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday: Shoulders/Chest

How does that split look?

All great advice in this thread.
    Your over analyzing big time.
    Make it easy for yourself, do a wbb routine but don't change anything. After about 6 weeks then change as needed.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

You shouldn't work your tris before your chest...caus if you start bench pressing with weak tris they will fail first and your chest will still be fresh. Just start with the bigger muscle groups and compund exercices first and you can't go wrong.

Can you explain to me why youre doing chest 2x/week and everything else 1x.

Adam,
    I tried the WBB #1 routine and like I said earlier, when working out on chest/back day, I would have no energy after working out on my chest. My back would suffer.

Cite,
    From past experiences, my chest has responded best when worked out twice a week. My other muscle groups respond well once a week. That's the reason.

Wannabebig Member
    I notice you all hop on a person right away for not lifting legs. Is there a reason for lifting legs if you do not wish your legs to be big? Is this simply the logic beind someone wanting a total balanced body. I have found so far that the effort it takes to maintain my legs isn't worth the benefits of having nicely shaped, strong legs. MY $.02

Well, it just doesn't look right if someone has a really big upper body without the base to support it. Also, the quads release growth hormones and from what I heard, LOTS of em.

Quote Originally Posted by bser
    I have found so far that the effort it takes to maintain my legs isn't worth the benefits of having nicely shaped, strong legs. MY $.02

wtf?

The squat, works more major muscles than any otherexercise.

The quads, hamstrings and glutess are specifically targeted, and the hip and torso muscles are brought in for stabilization. Stabilizer muscles are smaller muscles used during free-weight exercises to provide support. the squat uses all the abdominal muscles and spinal erectors of the lower back to hold the torso in place as you squat. Likewise, the hip muscles are engaged to hold the hips stationary AND if you use increased ROM in your squat (going below parralel) tthis will result in greater muscle activation and ultimately into greater muscle development = GET HUGE!!!!

ALSO, besides engaging most of the muscular system, it is also excellent for the cardiovascular system, and is gives you squatters ass which drives the girls crazy.
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's

Gotta Do It
    Quote Originally Posted by Timastyle
    Adam,
    I tried the WBB #1 routine and like I said earlier, when working out on chest/back day, I would have no energy after working out on my chest. My back would suffer.

Cite,
    From past experiences, my chest has responded best when worked out twice a week. My other muscle groups respond well once a week. That's the reason.
    You could try going by WBB routine #1 but do Chest and Back on separate days. That's what I'm doing right now. Chest on M, Back on T, Off Day W, Legs TH, Arms & Shoulders F. I don't know if it's a smart Idea to cut out that rest day that I did but maybe some other's can chime in or comment on this.