The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Pre and Post workout meals

I do my working out in the morning, and was wondering what others did for pre and post workout meals. Since I work out first thing in the morning, I usually will do it on an empty stomach (maybe a glass of OJ before, if anything), and then I'll have a meal after I shower and get dressed (which ends up about 30 to 40 mins after I'm down working out.) Breakfeast usually consists of a packet of plain oatmeal (usually right out of the package (Why cook it when you can just inhale it dry). And usually 8 to 10 eggwhites (sometimes 1 or 2 of those eggs being whole eggs). Other days If Im in a rush I'll pick up 2 Metrx bars and a bottle of water on the way to work....

Anyway, Should I consume anything before lifting? If so what and how long should I wait before lifting?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

damn.

I could not train right with no food in me.

also, post workout meal in general depends on your goals at the time.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

You should have a small meal with equal portions of protein and slow digested carbs with no fat about 1-2 hours before the training session.

I can't train on a full stomach too.I feel very tired and my lifts suck...

TCD: Right now I'm looking to put on weight (well solid size, not fat ass size)

Wiz said:
    You should have a small meal with equal portions of protein and slow digested carbs with no fat about 1-2 hours before the training session.

Equal portions? as in physical size or grams (ie: a Myoplex Deluxe wouldnt work 42gP/24gC)

Slow digested carbs? Forgive my ignorance, please explain.
    If I was to take a guess, I would think like brown rice instead of white rice (which I never eat anyway, I just eat brown). I would understand slow digested so I would have the energy for longer, but what types of food are you talking about?

Thanks

Equal portions:for ex.:42protein/42carbs
    So, a myoplex mass is not a good preworkout source.

Then,for the slow digested carbs:like you said,brown rice is ok,as oatmeal or sweet potato are too.
    We choose slow digested carbs because they don't cause a rapid raise in blood sugar levels and thus a fast insulin response which can make you feel sleepy and ruin your workout.
    Last edited by Wizard; 11-14-2001 at 02:55 PM.

I train at 6:40am

Wake up at 5:30
    Shower
    Eat at 5:50...
    1-2 cups oatmeal
    2 egg whites
    1 whole egg

Workout

40g protein, 5-8g creatine, 7g glutamine, three scoops gatorade or maltodextrin or nothing...

That meal before I workout helps me a lot, I think.

Janzik, when you wake up after a whole night of sleep, your body has basically been fasting the whole time you're asleep.

So working out on an empty stomach might subject your body going into a state of catabolism tuttut
    Don't eat the yellow snow

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    OOOH!

I work out first thing in the morning before work. I have to balance getting decent sleep and working out/getting to work before 11am.

7:45(normally)- wake up to stumble, incapacitated, to the bathroom to take MASSIVE torrential leak. I then return to bed and take 3 H-cuts.

8:00- get my ass up and eat. Usually a PBJ and a bowl of oatmeal or some raisin bran, etc. I try to get a decent mix of high and low GI carbs, some good fats and protein for breakfast.

8:30-40- Take off to gym

9:00- arrive at gym to be stared at by homosexuals in fabulous San Francisco!

I'd never work out without eating first. Never.

Originally posted by Budiak
    9:00- arrive at gym to be stared at by homosexuals in fabulous San Francisco!