Thread: Pre and Post workout meals

Hybrid View

Pre and Post workout meals

I do my working out in the morning, and was wondering what others did for pre and post workout meals. Since I work out first thing in the morning, I usually will do it on an empty stomach (maybe a glass of OJ before, if anything), and then I'll have a meal after I shower and get dressed (which ends up about 30 to 40 mins after I'm down working out.) Breakfeast usually consists of a packet of plain oatmeal (usually right out of the package (Why cook it when you can just inhale it dry). And usually 8 to 10 eggwhites (sometimes 1 or 2 of those eggs being whole eggs). Other days If Im in a rush I'll pick up 2 Metrx bars and a bottle of water on the way to work....

Anyway, Should I consume anything before lifting? If so what and how long should I wait before lifting?

damn.

I could not train right with no food in me.

also, post workout meal in general depends on your goals at the time.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

You should have a small meal with equal portions of protein and slow digested carbs with no fat about 1-2 hours before the training session.

I can't train on a full stomach too.I feel very tired and my lifts suck...

TCD: Right now I'm looking to put on weight (well solid size, not fat ass size)

Wiz said:
    You should have a small meal with equal portions of protein and slow digested carbs with no fat about 1-2 hours before the training session.

Equal portions? as in physical size or grams (ie: a Myoplex Deluxe wouldnt work 42gP/24gC)

Slow digested carbs? Forgive my ignorance, please explain.
    If I was to take a guess, I would think like brown rice instead of white rice (which I never eat anyway, I just eat brown). I would understand slow digested so I would have the energy for longer, but what types of food are you talking about?

Thanks

Equal portions:for ex.:42protein/42carbs
    So, a myoplex mass is not a good preworkout source.

Then,for the slow digested carbs:like you said,brown rice is ok,as oatmeal or sweet potato are too.
    We choose slow digested carbs because they don't cause a rapid raise in blood sugar levels and thus a fast insulin response which can make you feel sleepy and ruin your workout.
    Last edited by Wizard; 11-14-2001 at 02:55 PM.

I train at 6:40am

Wake up at 5:30
    Shower
    Eat at 5:50...
    1-2 cups oatmeal
    2 egg whites
    1 whole egg

Workout

40g protein, 5-8g creatine, 7g glutamine, three scoops gatorade or maltodextrin or nothing...

That meal before I workout helps me a lot, I think.

Janzik, when you wake up after a whole night of sleep, your body has basically been fasting the whole time you're asleep.

So working out on an empty stomach might subject your body going into a state of catabolism tuttut
    Don't eat the yellow snow

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    OOOH!

I work out first thing in the morning before work. I have to balance getting decent sleep and working out/getting to work before 11am.

7:45(normally)- wake up to stumble, incapacitated, to the bathroom to take MASSIVE torrential leak. I then return to bed and take 3 H-cuts.

8:00- get my ass up and eat. Usually a PBJ and a bowl of oatmeal or some raisin bran, etc. I try to get a decent mix of high and low GI carbs, some good fats and protein for breakfast.

8:30-40- Take off to gym

9:00- arrive at gym to be stared at by homosexuals in fabulous San Francisco!

I'd never work out without eating first. Never.

Originally posted by Budiak
    9:00- arrive at gym to be stared at by homosexuals in fabulous San Francisco!