The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7
    Pilsner Urquell = greatest beer of all time.

There are many other close #2s, though, including Guiness, Newcastle, Bass, etc.

If you liked Czechvar you should definitely try Pilsner Urquell.

There's another good Czech beer called Branik; it has Jesus on the front of it with two angels holding him up. It's a great marketing ploy, if its good enough for Jesus, its good enough for me! I've never seen it outside of the Czech Republic, though.

i've never been a pils fan... but i've had very few pils. You seem to like some good beer so I'll try is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Munky
    ...Two beers i hate ...Yuengling.
    WHAT!!! yuengling is great, but it seems like you ever love yuengling or hate it... my home town is on the border of ohio and pa, soo i stock up on it before i go back to school at kent. because ohio doesnt sell it
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Quote Originally Posted by abwowang
    natural light where that at?!
    ohhh yeah and natural light, or "natty" to us lol is probley the drunk beer of choice at school cheep and it doesnt taste all to bad
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Banned
    Bullmax 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Soloist
    i've never been a pils fan... but i've had very few pils. You seem to like some good beer so I'll try is for sure.
    Pilsner Urquell was the first one ever made (1842). "Pilsners" in the US can't compare.

I believe that people like the beer they do because it the beer they grew up with. BUDWEISER- well theirs a reason to why they sell tons of it, it is great. People may say it tastes bad, but they are 10 people out their to that 1 saying it tastes great and just bought a case of it. Corona, even I admit that then i belch it smells a little funny, but tastes great. A great quote I will share.. "You can have any beer here... as long as its a Corona" - Vin Diesel in The fast and the furious. I don't drink my beer on my yacht sipping it down while I hold my glass with just 1 finger and a thumb laughing at the common people that are drinking Budweiser or Natty being a priss. No I drink my beer sometimes fast to get drunk and sometimes slowly to enjoy the taste and enjoy my company.
    To not like Budweiser, even a little bit.... Un-American

*Rant Over*
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Budweiser - Second, I have a few friends in England who have vouched that Bud in Britain is higher in alcohol content over there. So, Bud assumes that Americans are not distinguished enough, and they sell us the crap and ship the good stuff overseas.

The U.S. limits what alcohol percent is in "Beer" as compared to liquors I believe.

Also are you saying a higher alcohol percentage makes the beer better??? If that were the case lets all go get some Everclear have 2 shots and say "Why thats the best taste ever" and pass out
    Last edited by Genacide; 12-26-2004 at 03:24 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

I'm a big fan of wheat beers and anything original at micro-breweries. My favorite domestic beer on tap is Amber Bock.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Quote Originally Posted by Genacide
    The U.S. limits what alcohol percent is in "Beer" as compared to liquors I believe.

Also are you saying a higher alcohol percentage makes the beer better??? If that were the case lets all go get some Everclear have 2 shots and say "Why thats the best taste ever" and pass out
    Certain states regulate the alcohol content of various beverages. It's just plain stupid. You cannot buy any beer in NC with over 6% ABV, while you can easily buy cheap 14% wine in the same store. Of course, besides cheap malt liquor, all of the 6+% beer is typically very high end and is not going to be the drink of choice for drunks or kids.

Higher alcohol content only makes a beer taste better or worse in regards to the beer style. Certain beer styles naturally have a higher alcohol content than others. I'm looking forward to cracking open my bottle of Sam Adams Millenium, but not because of its 15+% ABV.

what about yeugnling, i love yuengling, although i havent tasted that many beers before, sept for the most generic american brews (coors, miller, etc.) but yuengling is deff good as **** compared to those, as is Sam Adams

This is just like the music threads. Individual taste.

So, as usual, I will explain upfront that I am always right.

Most American mass produced lagers suck donkey balls covered in feces when compared to their European counterparts. HOWEVER - that doesn't mean they aren't tasty sometimes. I love good beer, but sometimes, an ice cold Miller Genuine Draft on a hot summer day after washing the cars hits the spot, and it hits it better than a Boddingtons, Newcastle, Spaten, or most anything else.

I must say I can't take anyone who rates Amstel light higher than Anchor Steam seriously.

In my fridge:

Abita TurboDog (one of my favorite beers)
    Anchor Liberty Ale
    Yuengling (my lighter American Lager of choice, far better than Bud or Coors at the same price - I buy it by the case, and use it to stock the fridge)
    Anchor Christmas Ale
    Peg Leg Imperial Stout (Clipper City Brewing)
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 12-27-2004 at 09:37 AM.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I like Corona, but I wouldn't rate it any higher than a 7/10. I agree with your Blue Moon pick: what a great beer! Not crazy about Bud, but I'll "drink" it when I have little money.

Ever tried Sam Adams Heifeweizen? It's really good; that's one beer that you have to taste. I'd highly recommend it to you.

No matter what you think about any other beer, Corona is the worst beer in the universe.* Period. It's too expensive. It tastes bad. It's what girls who don't drink beer drink. There are far better light and mexican beers for the same price, or cheaper. Beast Light is better because it doesn't try to pretend to be good. It's evil. It sucks.

*Actually, Sam Adams Ass Cherry Flavor may taste worse. But it's not as bad.

i'm a wheat beer fan as well

i prefer franziskaner
    Last edited by excokehead; 12-27-2004 at 11:23 AM.

I agree with Pauly and Nash on two fronts.

I do like some of the more hearty European brews but honestly, I am hardly ever in the mood for them. When its just me kicking back with my friends on a hot day nothing is better than an American beer. There IS a reason why they are marketed as being 'refreshing.'

And Nash is also right. Corona is the worst beer in the universe. If we stumble across an Alien society and they give us their beer and it disintegrates you upon contact, it still won't be as bad as Corona.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    This is just like the music threads. Individual taste.

So, as usual, I will explain upfront that I am always right.

Most American mass produced lagers suck donkey balls covered in feces when compared to their European counterparts. HOWEVER - that doesn't mean they aren't tasty sometimes. I love good beer, but sometimes, an ice cold Miller Genuine Draft on a hot summer day after washing the cars hits the spot, and it hits it better than a Boddingtons, Newcastle, Spaten, or most anything else.

I must say I can't take anyone who rates Amstel light higher than Anchor Steam seriously.

In my fridge:

Abita TurboDog (one of my favorite beers)
    Anchor Liberty Ale
    Yuengling (my lighter American Lager of choice, far better than Bud or Coors at the same price - I buy it by the case, and use it to stock the fridge)
    Anchor Christmas Ale
    Peg Leg Imperial Stout (Clipper City Brewing)

Anchor Steam tasted like SH-T to me...

On a hot day I drink water or powerade

But good summer day beers are:

Paulaner Hefe-Weizen
    Tucher Hefe-Weizen
    Leinenkugelís Honey Weiss
    Swee****er Blue (for the atlanta heads)
    Blue Moon
    Red Stripe

many others...

there is no day I would drink any bud products. they are fukkin terrible. Miller Lite is horrible but I can drink it if I really want to drink and there is nothing else. Corona is undrinkable piss water. Coors products are a lil better than Miller but still trash.

Basically, if Bud, Coors, and Miller were the only beers around... I would probably stop drinking. There are many fine American beers, but you gotta dig for them. Micro-Brews are where it's at.

MACHINE
    Anchor Steam tasted like SH-T to me...
    So you're saying that the steam wasn't coming off an anchor? lol

I never met a beer I didn't like. I don't pretend to have all of this international expertise in beers, but I can say that I like a nice dark lager, or a glass of cloudy beer in which the wheat(or whatever the hell that is) settles at the bottom of the glass. There are lots of small breweries near me that distribute their beers in local pubs, and I really enjoy all of the different flavors. Even if I don't prefer the taste, I can usually at least appreciate it for what it is. If I'm at a local restaurant or something that doesn't offer a big variety, I'll usually get Sam Adams, Killians, and/or Bass.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Quote Originally Posted by excokehead
    i'm a wheat beer fan as well

i prefer franziskaner
    I'll have to find that and give it a shot. This beer is domestic to which country????
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough
    Corona 1/10!!!!!!

Corona rules!
    MMMM.

I would flame you for that coming out of brits mouth. but your ban me!
    Out of the nice good beer you go for some fizzy pop,
    with a lime stuck in the top

:alcoholic
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

3:16
    I believe that people like the beer they do because it the beer they grew up with. BUDWEISER- well theirs a reason to why they sell tons of it, it is great. People may say it tastes bad, but they are 10 people out their to that 1 saying it tastes great and just bought a case of it. Corona, even I admit that then i belch it smells a little funny, but tastes great. A great quote I will share.. "You can have any beer here... as long as its a Corona" - Vin Diesel in The fast and the furious. I don't drink my beer on my yacht sipping it down while I hold my glass with just 1 finger and a thumb laughing at the common people that are drinking Budweiser or Natty being a priss. No I drink my beer sometimes fast to get drunk and sometimes slowly to enjoy the taste and enjoy my company.

*Rant Over*
    Well its got a little to do with marketing as well. People like the adverts. And if you go on sales alone, Do people actually like drinking vodka?
    While bud over here is different to the USA i believe. The advert sell the product and a lot of people choose a drink because they are told to by the marketing team.
    And sales over in the UK, bud make a lot lower %, but thats because we got some of the better bears over here.
    But different markets. At the end of the amercians have about 10 more maccdoanlds than us. WHile it taste nice, its not a luxury food item.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I'm a brown ale fan, but I'm not going to turn down what a friend offers me in order to feed my ego.

*Rant Over*
    ...however, I'm not sure what's un-American about disliking a ripoff of a Czechoslovakian beer!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Another one for Yuengling. I love the lager and black n' tan.

Paul, have you ever tried Amber Bock? It's not too shabby if you like Yuengling.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough
    Corona 1/10!!!!!!

Corona rules!
    Worst beer ever.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

If it weren't for Daniel, we could get a quorum and add "corona" to the obscenity filter.