Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 161

Thread: WBB Beer Enthusiasts Thread

  1. #51
    Senior Member shootermcgavin7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S
    I'm a brown ale fan, but I'm not going to turn down what a friend offers me in order to feed my ego.



    ...however, I'm not sure what's un-American about disliking a ripoff of a Czechoslovakian beer!

    Czechoslovakia doesn't exist.......................

    Lets talk about Yugoslavia, too..............



    Sorry, I couldn't resist. Budvar is a great Czech beer if you like the dark stuff.

  2. #52
    bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Posts
    1,959
    God I love Budvar...

  3. #53
    Senior Member shootermcgavin7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic Soloist
    God I love Budvar...
    I didn't even know you could get it here. The last time I had it was from a hot dog stand in Wenceslas Square in Prague when I was leaving for good. I think I threw it at someone at 3am (Rock would appreciate that one).

    Anyway, when I have to do my 2 year abroad for the company (I'm assuming I stay that long); and if I can go back to Czech Republic, I'll score a Budvar for everyone on the boards.

  4. #54
    zen idiot Scott S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,205
    Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7
    Czechoslovakia doesn't exist.......................

    Lets talk about Yugoslavia, too..............



    Sorry, I couldn't resist. Budvar is a great Czech beer if you like the dark stuff.
    So CS doesn't exist RIGHT NOW. Bite me...


    I'll take a Budvar though.

  5. #55
    bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Posts
    1,959
    Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7
    I didn't even know you could get it here. The last time I had it was from a hot dog stand in Wenceslas Square in Prague when I was leaving for good. I think I threw it at someone at 3am (Rock would appreciate that one).

    Anyway, when I have to do my 2 year abroad for the company (I'm assuming I stay that long); and if I can go back to Czech Republic, I'll score a Budvar for everyone on the boards.


    you should check your local liquor/beer outlet. They have it all through the south and I assume it's all over the USA now.

    It's called Czechvar in the states because the giant whore (AB) would not allow them to use the bud name.

    But it is the same as the Czech version as far as I know. It has only been here for a short time though. It's only 5.99 for a six pack round here, so when I get my apartment I think it's gonna be my everyday beer

  6. #56
    As I Am Paul Stagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Posts
    8,668
    Quote Originally Posted by galileo
    Another one for Yuengling. I love the lager and black n' tan.

    Paul, have you ever tried Amber Bock? It's not too shabby if you like Yuengling.
    Yuengling Lager is teh it. Seriously - why anyone would pay the same price for Bud, Coors, or any light beer is beyond me. The only excuse is that it isn't available where you live... given the regional nature of Yuengling distribution, I suppose that's possible.

    A guy I work with in New Hampshire has us Yuengling guys get him a case whenever we are heading up there or he heads in this direction.

    I've had Amber Bock, didn't care much for it.

    I've said this before, my fridge always has 12 Yuenglings in it, and then a 6 or two of something really good - ranging from Plsner Urquell to TurboDog... Newcastle to Sam Smiths, Boddingtons, Tetley's, Sierra Nevada, Magic Hat... whatever might strike me at the store.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

  7. #57
    Senior Member shootermcgavin7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic Soloist
    you should check your local liquor/beer outlet. They have it all through the south and I assume it's all over the USA now.

    It's called Czechvar in the states because the giant whore (AB) would not allow them to use the bud name.

    But it is the same as the Czech version as far as I know. It has only been here for a short time though. It's only 5.99 for a six pack round here, so when I get my apartment I think it's gonna be my everyday beer

    I used to drink it riding the Metro in Prague all the time. I could never figure out if it was legal to drink while riding the metro, but everyone else was doing it.

  8. #58
    Senior Member Teh BDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    339
    To say that Bud is a ripoff of a Czech beer is like saying that any American stout is a ripoff of an Irish beer. Or that any American wine is a ripoff of a french wine.

    Basically, an idiotic statement. So pilsner is Czech in origin. So ****ing what. Where is Czech now? All dead. And Budweiser is the King of Beers. I think you know what's up.

  9. #59
    Senior Member shootermcgavin7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh BDK
    So ****ing what. Where is Czech now? All dead. And Budweiser is the King of Beers. I think you know what's up.

    "Czech" is 'all dead?' I must be missing your point. I'm assuming that you had one to start with..........?

    I, personally, never said that "Bud is a ripoff of Czech beer". If I were a Czech brewer, I would be embarrassed if any American brewer claimed they were ripping me off.

  10. #60
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Czechvar is okay, but nothing outstanding compared to what else is available in America.

    PU is similarly decent, but not spectacular. Perhaps it's not my style. Too bland, for sure, and there are cheaper, more crisp and refreshing American macros that work better as a "rehydrating" beer.

    Anyway, back to hating on Corona; more evidence that it's the worst:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/top_beers.php?id=worst

    Indeed, it IS the worst. Okay, that's the light one, but regular Corona is still the 19th crappiest beer ever.

    Edit:
    Here's the good stuff:
    PBR is best beer in the world for shotgunning. Must be consumed from a can for proper flavor. Very enjoyable after exercise and in the shower. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/rate_results/447/1331/
    Last edited by MixmasterNash; 12-28-2004 at 09:20 PM.

  11. #61
    Senior Member Teh BDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    339
    See, shooter, when somebody makes a statement like that, it is what we call a joke. You can hear them all over the place. In fact, many people make a living off of telling jokes. You have probably made one yourself before. Don't worry, it takes time. Just keep an open mind.


    The problem here is that you didn't even make the statement about it being a ripoff. Talk about thin skin. Do you ever go outside? Talk to people you don't know? Ever heard a dirty word?

  12. #62
    Baby Seal Clubber ElPietro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    12,778
    The original poster lost credibility when he rated Bud low, but then rated Fosters high. I might have respected his viewpoint if both were low, since it's all the same piss.

    But I'd rather drink that piss that Pilsner Urquell that someone else brought up. Again, everyone's taste is different, but the one bottle of Urquell I bought I poured out after my second sip.

    I also find it somewhat amusing that many will try to find the most obscure micro-brewed stuff, and all of a sudden love it for that alone. Drink what YOU like, if you think you are cool because you drink some rarely found micro-brewed beer, then you are an even bigger dork than the bud swilling neanderthals with wing sauce on their foreheads.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

    Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

    ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

    A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

    If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

    Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

    I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

    Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

    Current FFFA Enforcer

  13. #63
    MACHINE
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    on the short bus
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    ...if you think you are cool because you drink some rarely found micro-brewed beer, then you are an even bigger dork than the bud swilling neanderthals with wing sauce on their foreheads.
    lmao




    *wipes forehead*
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

    5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

  14. #64
    Senior Member Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,020
    I'm not a huge fan of beer, but I'll drink it when I don't want to get too drunk. When I'm in Canada it's Alpine, Canadian, Keiths, or Corona (haha, laugh all you want), in the USA it's Bud or Corona, and overseas it's "beer."
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

  15. #65
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    1) I don't trust people who don't drink.

    2) We should have a WBB wing eating contest.

  16. #66

  17. #67
    Breaker of Skulls Guido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    40N 88W
    Posts
    11,316
    I, too, am a big beer fan!

    It's too bad how many people are uneducated about what makes a good beer. Almost all of the macrobrews I've ever tried were complete swill. I like my beers with flavor.

    Some of my favs, which I highly recommend you try:

    Celebrator Dopplebock
    Victory Storm King Stout
    Stoney Creek Vanilla Porter
    Unibroue Trois Pistoles (most Unibroue beers are good)
    Weheinstephaner (anything by them)
    Goose Island Demolition Lager
    Leinenkugels Creamy Dark or Christmas Ale
    Morland Old Speckled Hen (great hot weather beer)
    Bitburger Pils (refreshing)
    Warsteiner
    Lion Stout (Sri Lanka)
    Xingu (brazilian black beer, mmmm)
    Lindeman's Lambics
    Rogue Stout
    Samuel Smith's IPA, Oatmeal Stout, or Imperial Stout
    Most anything by Two Brothers Brewing Co.

    That's just a start. I do like many of those you gave high ratings to. Czech, Belgian, and Polish (yes, Polish!) beers in general I find to be consistently good. For decent polish beers try some Okocim, Tyskie Piwo, or Krakus Zywiec.

    On the other hand, I can't believe how many people say they like Corona or Bud or whatever. I think it's just because they haven't actually tried anything else. I love how people here think Corona is all high class when in actuality in Mexico it's the stuff that the poor farmers drink. Tecate or Negro Modelo are MUCH better if you actually want a mexican beer.
    Last edited by Guido; 12-29-2004 at 03:10 PM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1


    My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

    "Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

  18. #68
    Senior Member Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    I can't believe how many people say they like Corona or Bud or whatever. I think it's just because they haven't actually tried anything else.
    That's like saying you shouldn't like strawberries until you try raspberries. Sure, you can like one more than the other, but taste is taste. Either you like it or you don't. I think it's more than possible to enjoy the taste of a cheap beer AND an expensive beer, no?


    Quote Originally Posted by guido
    I love how people here think Corona is all high class when in actuality in Mexico it's the stuff that the poor farmers drink.
    And what's wrong with having a few cold ones with ectx?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

  19. #69
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    That's like saying you shouldn't like strawberries until you try raspberries. Sure, you can like one more than the other, but taste is taste. Either you like it or you don't. I think it's more than possible to enjoy the taste of a cheap beer AND an expensive beer, no?
    Yes, but there's good cheap beer, like Yuengling, and bad cheap beer, like Busch Light, but by far the worst category is bad expensive beer, like Corona.

  20. #70
    Senior Member Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,020
    Well, ya got me there. But I still prefer the taste over some of the "cool" beers listed above. I also prefer cheap mustard over fancy dijon.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

  21. #71
    zen idiot Scott S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,205
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    2) We should have a WBB wing eating contest.
    That would be ****ing awesome. I'm down.

  22. #72
    Senior Member IronKidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    106
    Anyone ever try "Old Style Pilsner"?

  23. #73
    Breaker of Skulls Guido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    40N 88W
    Posts
    11,316
    Yes, but there's good cheap beer, like Yuengling, and bad cheap beer, like Busch Light, but by far the worst category is bad expensive beer, like Corona.
    I will drink to that, Mixmaster.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1


    My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

    "Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

  24. #74
    MACHINE
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    on the short bus
    Posts
    0
    I think that "good taste" is in the...uhh...mouth of the beholder? If you like the taste of cheap, so-called "garbage american beers", that's entirely up to you and it doesn't make you an ignorant beer drinker.

    It's quite ironic actually, that when 2 of my business associates from Germany come into town to work with me, they always want American Budweiser. Not bud light, not sam adams, not spaten or whatever other dark/international brew is on tap...they want only Budweiser, and they love it. They agree that it's watered down, but they love the taste. As I talked with them about why they loved it a couple years ago(because it surprised me), the analogy that was fitting was that if all you had to drink was grape juice where you were from, grape gatorade would taste pretty damn refreshing, wouldn't it? While they're glad that all of their beers aren't watered down, they like it that way for a change sometimes.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

    5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

  25. #75
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Bud was the club beer of choice almost everywhere I've been in Western Europe. And yes, not bud light, or anything else, but plain Budweiser. Similarly, Stella Artois is a hipster bar beer here in the U.S. In both cases, it's sh*t beer, but because it is from somewhere else, and marketed well, it's COOL.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •