Thread: Weigh your weights

Weigh your weights

So I had some coupons and gift certificates for Dick's sporting goods and decided to use them last night. I ended up getting 2 45lb plates and some new gloves...after the coupons it only cost $29 for all. Not too bad. Well I just threw on the 45's to see if they felt like 45's and on my first rep I noticed the left side was way heavier. So I got my scale and weighed them....the one was just over 46lbs and the other one was 41lbs....WTF....6 lbs is way too much variation...for the same brand weights. I laid them both flat on the ground and the heavier weight was about 1/4" thicker. So I will be returning them and making sure I weigh them b4 I leave this time. This would really suck if I would have mail ordered them. End of rant

there are weights like this down at my gym
    just the plastic or rubber like ones they weigh 42 lbs

yeah i weighed mine the other day. luckily they are all either 46.2 or 44.2. however, one of my bars is 40lbs
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goose21 View Post
    there are weights like this down at my gym
    just the plastic or rubber like ones they weigh 42 lbs
    The bumper plates are usually in kg, so 20 kg = 44 lbs. 42 lbs is still wrong, but just FYI.

You get what you pay for!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

That's why Ivankos are the best plates. They are calibrated so you know they weigh what they say they do. They're way more expensive, though.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I used to work for Dick's way back...pretty much all the lifting equipment they have is pure junk.

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    That's why Ivankos are the best plates. They are calibrated so you know they weigh what they say they do. They're way more expensive, though.
    This whole thing doesn't make any sense though. I can't imagine any company would allow their products to have such awful tolerances on them. Plus there's nothing to calibrate, per se - it's not a measurement tool, it's just a simple piece of steel/rubber. Either it weighs what it says it does (within the tolerance) or it doesn't.

I'm not calling anyone here a liar, it just blows my mind that something as simple as a piece of metal/rubber could have such terrible tolerances.

^ I agree - there's no reason it should be so expensive. My friends dad has a factory and he keeps promising to make me some weights. THey would buy a large tube of metal with whatever diameter a 45 plate is. Then they just slice it at whatever thickness gives you the right weight. I dont see why there should be any intolerances in a brand new plate.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    This whole thing doesn't make any sense though. I can't imagine any company would allow their products to have such awful tolerances on them. Plus there's nothing to calibrate, per se - it's not a measurement tool, it's just a simple piece of steel/rubber. Either it weighs what it says it does (within the tolerance) or it doesn't.

I'm not calling anyone here a liar, it just blows my mind that something as simple as a piece of metal/rubber could have such terrible tolerances.
    With any kind of manufacturing there's going to be an inherent error in the process. So one of two things is happening: Ivanko uses a more expensive process that reduces the error and gets the weights closer to the required spec the first time around. Or they both make the weights the same way and then Ivanko takes the time to weigh them and then mill them to get them closer to the spec. It costs money to make them more accurate.