The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

WBB Beer Enthusiasts Thread

Over the last couple of years since turning 21, I've tried many beers. When I try a new beer I rate it and I've got a good list going so far. Beer is a passion for me and I love tasting new micros and imports. Kinda sucks that two of my favorite things (bodybuilding and beer) don't really go hand and hand. But I do the best I can. Any other beer lovers in here... let's discuss.

Anchor Steam - 3/10

Amstel Light - 5/10

Bass - 8.5/10

BBC Albier - 8.5/10

BBC American Pale Ale - 8.5/10

BBC Dark Star Porter - 8/10

Beck’s - 4/10

Bell‘s Winter White Ale - 8.5/10

Ben Harbor Blueberry Ale - 8/10

Bert Grant‘s Mandarin Hefe-Weizen - 6/10

Blanche de Chambly - 7/10

Blue Moon - 9/10

Boddingtons Pub Ale - 7.5/10

Browning’s Nut Brown Ale - 8/10

Budweiser - 0/10

Bud Light - 1/10

Bud Ice - 0/10

Celebrator Dopplebock - 8.75/10

Coors Light - 2/10

Corona - 1/10

Cumberland Brews Summer Brew - 9.25/10

Cumberland Brews Nitro Porter - 8.75/10

Cumberland Brews Bourbon Barrel Stout - 8,5/10

Cumberland Brews Stout - 9/10

Cumberland Brews Cream Ale - 8/10

Cumberland Brews Nut Brown Ale - 9/10

Cumberland Brews Pale Ale - 8/10

Cumberland Brews Red - 8/10

Czechvar - 9/10

Fin Du Monde - 6/10 note: would be higher but it is very high in content and has a hint of hard liquor taste. Not something I want in a beer.

Fosters - 7/10

Goose Island Christmas Ale - 8/10

Goose Island Nut Brown Ale - 8.75/10

Guinness Stout - 8.5/10

Harpoon Irish Red - 5/10

Heineken - 4/10

Killians Irish Red - 6.5/10

Hoegaarden Original White Ale - 8.75/10

Hobgoblin Ale - 8.5/10

Labott Blue - 7/10

Lawson Creek Honey Wheat - 7/10

Leinenkugel’s Honey Weiss - 8/10

Leinenkugel’s Red - 6/10

Micolob Ultra - 1/10

Miller Lite - 2/10

Newcastle - 8/10

Paulaner Hefe-Weizen - 9/10

Pete's Wicked Helles Lager - 8/10

Pete‘s Wicked Strawberry Blond Ale - 6/10

Pete’s Wicked Summer Brew - 9/10

Pete’s Winter Brew - 6/10

Red Brick Ale - 9/10

Red Stripe - 7/10

Rolling Rock - 4/10

Sam Adams Boston Lager - 7/10

Sam Smith’s Nut Brown Ale - 8/10

Schneider Weisse - 8.75/10

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - 7/10

Sierra Nevada Wheat Beer - 7.5/10

Swee****er ESB - 8.5/10

Swee****er Blue - 9.75/10

Swee****er Exodus Porter - 8/10

Tecate - 4.5/10

Tucher Helles Hefeweizen - 9.5/10

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier -7/10
    Last edited by Mic Soloist; 11-30-2005 at 10:50 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

lol @ them blocking out sweet water cuz when it's spelled swee****er there is a tw-t in there.

goofy

anyone near atlanta needs to check out that brewery.

you should be shot for giving budweiser a 0/10

..and WHAT!? no natural ice? outnumber

Budweiser - This beer is the poster child for the mega North American breweries. There are many reasons to hate this beer. I'll try to touch on a few so that every group is represented. My past opinions of Bud have drawn much hate mail questioning my manhood, sexuality, sanity, and patriotism. I hope this review finds you equally as offended. First and foremost, have any of you ever actually tasted this beer? Not drank, mind you, but tasted. Chugging this to get drunk is not tasting, because as any beer connoisseur will tell you, you have to savor the beer by drinking slowly, to absorb the different flavors. If most of you did that, you would pour the rest down the drain. This is awful. I'd compare it to water, but that's not fair to water. Water is drinkable. Second, I have a few friends in England who have vouched that Bud in Britain is higher in alcohol content over there. So, Bud assumes that Americans are not distinguished enough, and they sell us the crap and ship the good stuff overseas. That should offend any good beer-drinking American. Thirdly, they used to (cannot verify if they still) donate money to gun control causes (probably because they don't want their more, how should I say this to avoid offending all of you, redneckish clientele from constantly blowing each other away). Personally, I don't care; just thought some of you might want to know that. Fourthly, their business practices are vile. They have held up Budejovice (the Czech translation of Budweis) Budvar in a legal battle for "territory" for decades. If Bud was that sure of their quality, why not let them market in the US and compete head-to-head? Budweiser is German for "Someone from Budweis." Last I heard, Bud comes from St Louis, not Budweis. That's misadvertising, and they're accusing Budweiser Budvar of copyright infringement? Bud claiming to be a "Budweiser" is like Hillary Clinton passing herself off as a senator from New York (please see my rant on her). Let a respectable, decent tasting beer use that title. So, to summarize, it's crap, and its parent company engages in disgusting business practices, which is why you should not drink this stuff. And if your issue is price, try Miller or Coors. If your argument is that it's the best selling beer in the world, that's only because they've proven that we can be bought with flashy advertising. Don't let Anheuser Busch win your mind, think for yourself. (2/22/2002)

Natural Ice (Light) - This is the poster child for Trailer Park Beers. If you live in a house that had to have the wheels removed, if you were ever on an episode of "Cops" while wearing a wifebeater T-shirt, if gardening involves tractor tires painted white, laid flat on your yard, and filled with potting soil, or if you call anybody a Yankee who lives north of the Arkansas River, then you probably have some of this in your fridge...which is probably sitting on your porch (so you can get at it quicker while shooting rodents from your deck chair). This "beer" makes Budweiser sound good. Contrary to my previous review, I'm embarrassed to say I have tried this. Even by college student standards, and I know guys who drink Boone's Farm and Mad Dog in a pinch. No taste, no body, no redeeming factors. Not even a decent alcohol content. If you drink it for economical reasons, I can certainly sympathize... If you drink this because you think it tastes better than other beers, then you need to start going to meetings, because you've got a problem. I know many of you will have a problem with this assessment, and I look forward to your comments. If you would like suggestions for better "budget beers," I will be happy to share my knowledge.
    Last edited by Mic Soloist; 12-24-2004 at 08:03 PM.

there is a long list of Australasia beers I'd love to try. Coopers Sparkling Ale, James Squire Australian Best Ale, and Coopers Best Extra Stout topping the list.

All I've had from Down Under is Fosters. And I consider Fosters a decent lager but nothing compared to others I've had. It's a good everyday beer I suppose.

Quagmire wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic Soloist
    there is a long list of Australasia beers I'd love to try. Coopers Sparkling Ale, James Squire Australian Best Ale, and Coopers Best Extra Stout topping the list.

All I've had from Down Under is Fosters. And I consider Fosters a decent lager but nothing compared to others I've had. It's a good everyday beer I suppose.
    Foster's are one of the worst tasting Australian beers ever made. Try some Dogbolter, Thirsty Dog, Red Ant, and Southwark Premium Lager.

I guess it depends on what you like. Pilsiner, lager, stout etc.
    He who hesitates masturbates........

Budweiser - Second, I have a few friends in England who have vouched that Bud in Britain is higher in alcohol content over there. So, Bud assumes that Americans are not distinguished enough, and they sell us the crap and ship the good stuff overseas.

The U.S. limits what alcohol percent is in "Beer" as compared to liquors I believe.

Also are you saying a higher alcohol percentage makes the beer better??? If that were the case lets all go get some Everclear have 2 shots and say "Why thats the best taste ever" and pass out
    Last edited by Genacide; 12-26-2004 at 03:24 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Genacide
    The U.S. limits what alcohol percent is in "Beer" as compared to liquors I believe.

Also are you saying a higher alcohol percentage makes the beer better??? If that were the case lets all go get some Everclear have 2 shots and say "Why thats the best taste ever" and pass out
    Certain states regulate the alcohol content of various beverages. It's just plain stupid. You cannot buy any beer in NC with over 6% ABV, while you can easily buy cheap 14% wine in the same store. Of course, besides cheap malt liquor, all of the 6+% beer is typically very high end and is not going to be the drink of choice for drunks or kids.

Higher alcohol content only makes a beer taste better or worse in regards to the beer style. Certain beer styles naturally have a higher alcohol content than others. I'm looking forward to cracking open my bottle of Sam Adams Millenium, but not because of its 15+% ABV.

I have a few friends in England who have vouched that Bud in Britain is higher in alcohol content over there.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the alcohol content is the same but the way they are measured are different. I know that is the case with American and Canadian lables.

I was often under the impression that American beers were lower in alcohol content than Canadian beers, but it is just because Canadian beers' alcohol content are measured by volume, while American beers' alcohol content is measured differently (by weight I think).
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the alcohol content is the same but the way they are measured are different. I know that is the case with American and Canadian lables.

I was often under the impression that American beers were lower in alcohol content than Canadian beers, but it is just because Canadian beers' alcohol content are measured by volume, while American beers' alcohol content is measured differently (by weight I think).
    There is no such thing as "American beer" or "Canadian beer."

There are per state ABV limits. There used to be a federally permited "three-five" beer at the end of prohibition, but then prohibition was repealed and state laws became the controlling authority. Now, it's possible to find "beers" that are above 20% ABV.

America makes more different styles of beer than any other nation by far. Crap swill like bud and coors are what we're famous for, but we make beer as good in any style as any country. What's sort of sad is that there are mass produced beers in the U.S. that are pretty good, e.g. Yuengling.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 11-09-2005 at 06:25 PM.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Banned
    Honey Brown Ale....

Banned
    Man, all this beer talk made me want some beer...so I got some! ha *proceeds to sip :alcoholic ice cold one*

Labbot Blue... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    There is no such thing as "American beer" or "Canadian beer."

There are per state ABV limits. There used to be a federally permited "three-five" beer at the end of prohibition, but then prohibition was repealed and state laws became the controlling authority. Now, it's possible to find "beers" that are above 20% ABV.

America makes more different styles of beer than any other nation by far. Crap swill like bud and coors are what we're famous for, but we make beer as good in any style as any country. What's sort of sad is that there are mass produced beers in the U.S. that are pretty good, e.g. Yuengling.
    I don't understand your first statement. If a beer is created in Canada then that maked it a Canadian beer. Same for America. And we have a beer that is called Canadian so you are incorrect.

I would have to say my favorite beer is Alexander Keith's Pale Ale ( Keiths ). Those who like it, like it a lot.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

Quote Originally Posted by savdout209
    you should be shot for giving budweiser a 0/10

..and WHAT!? no natural ice? outnumber
    While you're getting upset about crappy beers not making the grade, don't forget to add Southpaw to your list. Bud is not great beer compared to world beers. And Natty Ice should be called Nasty Ice.

I brew my own beer and it takes forever but the product is pretty good. Well worth the time and effort.
    Last edited by Asylum; 12-25-2004 at 04:45 PM.
    Currently studying 20 hours a day with 2 hours for exercise and then 2 to sleep.

6'2", 180 lbs.
    Bodyfat in the 18% range... (Maybe)

VikingWarlord, getfit and Ryuage are my Natural PB sister and brothers...

"Your initials are M-U-D, and if you can't spell that means MUD." -Cobra underling from G.I. Joe

I believe that people like the beer they do because it the beer they grew up with. BUDWEISER- well theirs a reason to why they sell tons of it, it is great. People may say it tastes bad, but they are 10 people out their to that 1 saying it tastes great and just bought a case of it. Corona, even I admit that then i belch it smells a little funny, but tastes great. A great quote I will share.. "You can have any beer here... as long as its a Corona" - Vin Diesel in The fast and the furious. I don't drink my beer on my yacht sipping it down while I hold my glass with just 1 finger and a thumb laughing at the common people that are drinking Budweiser or Natty being a priss. No I drink my beer sometimes fast to get drunk and sometimes slowly to enjoy the taste and enjoy my company.
    To not like Budweiser, even a little bit.... Un-American

*Rant Over*
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

3:16
    I believe that people like the beer they do because it the beer they grew up with. BUDWEISER- well theirs a reason to why they sell tons of it, it is great. People may say it tastes bad, but they are 10 people out their to that 1 saying it tastes great and just bought a case of it. Corona, even I admit that then i belch it smells a little funny, but tastes great. A great quote I will share.. "You can have any beer here... as long as its a Corona" - Vin Diesel in The fast and the furious. I don't drink my beer on my yacht sipping it down while I hold my glass with just 1 finger and a thumb laughing at the common people that are drinking Budweiser or Natty being a priss. No I drink my beer sometimes fast to get drunk and sometimes slowly to enjoy the taste and enjoy my company.

*Rant Over*
    Well its got a little to do with marketing as well. People like the adverts. And if you go on sales alone, Do people actually like drinking vodka?
    While bud over here is different to the USA i believe. The advert sell the product and a lot of people choose a drink because they are told to by the marketing team.
    And sales over in the UK, bud make a lot lower %, but thats because we got some of the better bears over here.
    But different markets. At the end of the amercians have about 10 more maccdoanlds than us. WHile it taste nice, its not a luxury food item.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I'm a brown ale fan, but I'm not going to turn down what a friend offers me in order to feed my ego.

*Rant Over*
    ...however, I'm not sure what's un-American about disliking a ripoff of a Czechoslovakian beer!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott S
    I'm a brown ale fan, but I'm not going to turn down what a friend offers me in order to feed my ego.

...however, I'm not sure what's un-American about disliking a ripoff of a Czechoslovakian beer!

Czechoslovakia doesn't exist.......................

Lets talk about Yugoslavia, too..............

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Budvar is a great Czech beer if you like the dark stuff.

Hmm...I'll take Guinness, New Castle or Sam Adams. A friend sent me some Leikeim from Germany. That was pretty good.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Shane
    Hmm...I'll take Guinness, New Castle or Sam Adams. A friend sent me some Leikeim from Germany. That was pretty good.
    Germany has the beers!!! Franziskaner is an import from over there that is great. Has a pic of a monk on the front.

I visited the Guiness brewery when I was over in Dublin, Ireland it was awesome. You go through this whole tour where they show you how they make the beer etc.. and it smells so good as it's being made. When you get to the end of the tour you go up to the top floor with is a bar with windows all around and great view of Dublin and they give you a free pint of Guiness. It was awesome and my wife doesn't do Guiness so I got her pint too!!!!
    Currently studying 20 hours a day with 2 hours for exercise and then 2 to sleep.

6'2", 180 lbs.
    Bodyfat in the 18% range... (Maybe)

VikingWarlord, getfit and Ryuage are my Natural PB sister and brothers...

"Your initials are M-U-D, and if you can't spell that means MUD." -Cobra underling from G.I. Joe

Mic, personally I think you rated a lot of those beers way too high.
    Bass - 8.5/10
    Boddingtons Pub Ale - 7.5/10
    Bass is highly overrated imho. I love Boddington's so I would rate this higher(8-8.5)

Old Speckled Hen - 7.5

Coors Light - 2/10
    God this deserves a 0 if Budweiser does. At least Bud has an actual taste.

Killians Irish Red - 8/10
    Newcastle - 8/10
    Labott Blue - 7/10
    I got into it with someone the other night over Newcastle in particular. Stuff is so damn overrated and microbrews run rings around it. I wouldn't give any of these 3 beers more than a 6.

Rolling Rock - 4/10
    This deserves to be right down at the bottom with Michelob, Coors and Budweiser if you ask me. Yay it's got a green bottle. That doesn't mean it deserves more than a 2 (imho obviously).

Sam Adams Boston Lager - 8/10
    6.5 imho. Sam Adam's simply doesn't compare to the diversity of smaller produced microbrews. That isn't to say that I don't drink them or order them when I'm out eating however.

Since I don't want to be accused of being critical without putting my own opinions out there for consideration.

Ringwood - Old Thumper 7.5/10

Smuttynose - Shoals Pale Ale 6.5/10

Tremont - IPA 7/10

Brooklyn Brewery - Pennant Ale '55 6/10

Brooklyn Brewery - IPA 6.5/10

Brooklyn Brewery - Pale Ale 7/10

Brooklyn Brewery - Black Chocolate Stout 7/10

Since I dont keep tasting notes (hmm something to consider doing), it's all sort of off the cuff.

I'd need to retaste all the beers from Flying Dog, Magic Hat, Redhook, Brooklyn Brewery and other breweries in New England before I could give reliable ratings. I'm surprised that more people haven't come out liking IPAs either.

I know -=plenty=- of Canadians that drink Molson Canadian by the way. My personal choice when it comes to Molson however is Export. If it hadn't been so long, I could actually give some ratings on Moosehead and the other beers out in the Maritimes.

Lastly, please tell me you guys drinking Guinness cans are actually pouring it into a glass first. That goes for almost any beer for that matter.
    Last edited by Shroud; 11-30-2005 at 10:57 AM.

Quagmire wannabe
    You should check out some Australian beers like Hahn Premium, Cooper's, Cascade etc.

http://www.australianbeers.com/ has more info on them.
    He who hesitates masturbates........

Quote Originally Posted by fen2zla
    You should check out some Australian beers like Hahn Premium, Cooper's, Cascade etc.

http://www.australianbeers.com/ has more info on them.

Ugh, I should stab you for mentioning coopers. That is dingo piss man.

Carlton pure blond is worth while, low carbs full-strength - no lack of carbonation.

Mr. Puniverse
    Whats wrong with pabst? Pbr is the best cheap beer out there.
    We have bars here that sell it 50 cents a draw.
    Rock- "Can somebody just shake planet earth up and down a little and lose all the ****"