The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

anyone in a band?

or just play with friends for fun?

i recently started playing with 2 of my cousins, and it's been a blast so far. we tried before but we didn't have any decent amplification so it wasn't that fun. but we got a PA mixer and monitors and now it is gloriously loud and obnoxious

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Used to. Metal a la Maiden, Metallica, Destruction, etc.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

The first band I was in was a punk band. We had a pretty decent following in my high school, that's about it. Second band I was in was a rock band, lots of Deftones and Tool style stuff. Now I play with my roommate which is totally awesome. We both play guitar, and we're gonna do some open mic night stuff at a few local bars, nothing big. Just having a good time.
    Last edited by Frozenmoses; 11-02-2004 at 08:08 PM.

Exactly what Fromo said.

I would like to start, or join, a band If I had the money for some new equipment. I have 4 guitars and a bass, I'm just lacking the proper amplification. My most recent puchase was an electric acoustic so I can take a crack at open mic nights. Still working on a set. I have a buddy that plays drums. We were going to start playing on the weekends but he found out last week that his mom has a brain tumor. She's got 10 months tops so he will be spending all his free time with her.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Banned
    drums = very important

Drummers are inherently stupid. Studies say so!

*pokes and loves gal1l30*

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nissen
    I would like to start, or join, a band If I had the money for some new equipment. I have 4 guitars and a bass, I'm just lacking the proper amplification. My most recent puchase was an electric acoustic so I can take a crack at open mic nights. Still working on a set. I have a buddy that plays drums. We were going to start playing on the weekends but he found out last week that his mom has a brain tumor. She's got 10 months tops so he will be spending all his free time with her.
    Sorry to hear that.

I'm a solo acoustic guitarist- it attracts crowds, I'm my own band.

Don't think I'm too good, though, lol..
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

yeah amplification is vital. having the PA system is sooo nice compared to what we were working with before. i was pluggin my Tech21 TRI-A.C. into my cousin's stereo, and it sounded like moist ass.

the mixer we got is one of those Behringer powered ones, and the monitor is Behringer as well. i think it cost about $500 total

I play lead guitar in a band right now. I've played in bands on and off since I was 16. There's nothing quite like the feeling once everything is in sync.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Shane
    I play lead guitar in a band right now. I've played in bands on and off since I was 16. There's nothing quite like the feeling once everything is in sync.
    your bands like n sync huh? That explains a lot
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Quote Originally Posted by BigNic
    your bands like n sync huh? That explains a lot
    *Smashes Nic upside the head with Jackson guitar*

Hell no. We're more of a heavy alternative.

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

id make a joke about being an alternative band but i actually like alternative. I take a lotta **** for the music i listen too.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Kinda off topic...

Can anyone reccomend a brand accoustic guitar for a begginer to learn on? I don't want to spend a ton of money either.
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

Quote Originally Posted by BigNic
    id make a joke about being an alternative band but i actually like alternative. I take a lotta **** for the music i listen too.
    Well, we're some combination of Tool, RATM, Soundgarden, 311 and Metallica.

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by JustinF
    Kinda off topic...

Can anyone reccomend a brand accoustic guitar for a begginer to learn on? I don't want to spend a ton of money either.
    How much do you want to spend Justin? I can give you some good suggestions from there.
    Last edited by Shane; 11-03-2004 at 03:26 PM.

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by JustinF
    Kinda off topic...

honestly the best advice for acoustics is to just go to the store and play all the ones in your price range. pick the one that sounds and plays best and there you go.

i like the budget Takamines, and one of the best playing acoustics i've ever played was an Epiphone. you can get a pretty decent acoustic for $200 and up.

Shane, what amp do you use primarily?

A heavy alternative style of N Sync? I bet that sucks.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Quote Originally Posted by Jotosuds
    honestly the best advice for acoustics is to just go to the store and play all the ones in your price range. pick the one that sounds and plays best and there you go.

i like the budget Takamines, and one of the best playing acoustics i've ever played was an Epiphone. you can get a pretty decent acoustic for $200 and up.

Shane, what amp do you use primarily?
    That is good advice. The best guitar I ever played was a Martin and I want to get one eventually. But right now, as far as acoustic goes I have a Takamine EGC530SC that I got a few years ago for $350 on sale and it is a nice acoustic to play. The only mods I made were putting in a new acoustic pickup and a bone bridge.

My main amp head is a Hughes & Kettner Triamp. I've had a Marshall JCM 800 and a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (not a tremoverb though) and I liked both of those, but I like this one a little more than either of those. I also have an old Peavey Classic Chorus 212 that I never use. Anyway, I run the H&K Triamp through a Mesa Boogie 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet. For effects I use a pedal board with about 8 pedals on it, but I have a Digitech GNX-3 and a Boss GX-800 for back up. The GNX-3 is also handy if we need some sounds that none of our instruments can provide while playing. For guitars I use a Jackson Soloist that I've had for about 12 years as my main guitar. I think I put a picture of it up in my journal a long time ago. My other guitars are a Fender Strat that I modify all the time with different pickups, and a Les Paul style guitar that I put together myself. For acoustics I have that Takamine EGC530SC.

How about you man?

My Journal

A heavy alternative style of N Sync? I bet that sucks.

My Journal

Woo, equipment convo!! I'm jumping in because I don't need anyone to ask me. Eat me.

Axes:

Taylor 215 Acoustic
    Ernie Ball Musicman 20th Anniversary Edition (most beautiful bass ever)
    Fender PBass I mod'ed out

Play bass out of an SWR Workingman 400 watt head run to a SWR Goliath III 4x10 cab (rumble baby). Also got a Boss BR-8 Digital 8 track mixer with 64 track capability, for all my recording needz.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jugheadkills
    drums = very important
    THANK YOU!!!!

That is good advice. The best guitar I ever played was a Martin and I want to get one eventually. But right now, as far as acoustic goes I have a Takamine EGC530SC that I got a few years ago for $350 on sale and it is a nice acoustic to play. The only mods I made were putting in a new acoustic pickup and a bone bridge.

My main amp head is a Hughes & Kettner Triamp. I've had a Marshall JCM 800 and a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (not a tremoverb though) and I liked both of those, but I like this one a little more than either of those. I also have an old Peavey Classic Chorus 212 that I never use. Anyway, I run the H&K Triamp through a Mesa Boogie 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet. For effects I use a pedal board with about 8 pedals on it, but I have a Digitech GNX-3 and a Boss GX-800 for back up. The GNX-3 is also handy if we need some sounds that none of our instruments can provide while playing. For guitars I use a Jackson Soloist that I've had for about 12 years as my main guitar. I think I put a picture of it up in my journal a long time ago. My other guitars are a Fender Strat that I modify all the time with different pickups, and a Les Paul style guitar that I put together myself. For acoustics I have that Takamine EGC530SC.

How about you man?
    nice rig dude

my gear is very n00bish i run my MusicYo Kramer Pacer to a Tech21 TRI-A.C. straight to a Behringer powered mixer, out to monitor. i've had the chance to play some of the nice amps, like the Triple Rec, Road King, 5150, and yeah nothing compares to that tube growl but this setup works suprisingly well, and sounds pretty good although i could use a little more gain...

my acoustic is a Takamine EG541C

hey frozenmoses, what're the main differences between the Jazz and Precision basses? i'm wanting to get one for recording purposes...

Joto - Jazz basses tend to have a softer, smoother sounding tone, whilst Precisions tend of have more punch and a heavier attack. If you do get a Fender bass, take the piece of crap stock bridge off immediately and get a Badass II. It will seriously improve the tone tenfold.

I used to be in a band in Chapel Hill called Rectal Projectile. We were pretty well known and generally despised because we sucked and all we did was play GG Allin covers and break things. With school and work, it has sadly been awhile since Iíve gotten to play with people, but thatís one of the best things out there.
    Anyway, since weíre being gear slutsÖ
    My main axe is one that I built from scratch myself. It has a chambered black limba body, a blue quilted maple top, and the thickest mahogany neck ever. It has harmonic design humbuckers, nice old PIO caps and too many little switches. Its tone is truly a thing of beauty. I also have a frankenstrat (with fralin blues specials), an 80ís SG with a Duncan JB in the bridge, a fender HM Strat, and the ugly ass brown POS that I built in 9th grade. I also have two classicals that I sadly neglect. I pretty much just play the big blue beast, although that may change when I finish the ones Iím working on now.
    My amp is a 1973 Ampeg V-4 (arguably the loudest, cleanest 100 watts ever, especially since the guy who had it before me put in 6550ís, Iíll probably get someone to put it back to factory spec and put in some 6L6GCís so it will break up earlier) that I run through a marshall 4x12. I run through a 1969 crybaby, then a barber direct drive, and then a keeley-modded boss blues driver. I got tone baby, tons of tone.