The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

strength/lb of muscle

how is strength in a given pound of muscle determined, by number of fibers, or composition between slow/fast twitch fibers? and how much stronger can you make a given pound of muscle, like if i get to 165 quickly, focusing on primarily on size and to a lesser extent strength, can i then make my 165 lb body much stronger and remain 165?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    the number of fibers could come into play if you believe that hyperplasia exists. strength is mostly determined by the size of the fibers in the muscle group. the fiber's size increases by hypertrophy when you work out. they tear and heal themselves and become bigger in the process. and to answer your question, sure i guess you can always get stronger but eventually the weight will come with the size. by keeping your bf down you could minimize the gain in weight.

kind of fibre, # of fibres, cns recruitment.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Try injecting yourself with adrenaline!! lol...

:evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

100% recruitment!!!

"John Doe, found under a barbell dead. he had videotaped himself benching 1000 pounds just before his heart exploded. more on this story at 11"
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 01-11-2005 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    if i get to 165 quickly, focusing on primarily on size and to a lesser extent strength, can i then make my 165 lb body much stronger and remain 165?
    sure.
    the world powerlifting record for bench at 165lb of bodyweight is 646lb...
    (assuming this is an accurate compilation http://www.butenko.org/records.htm)

and training to grow as little as possible but get as strong as possible is just doing 1-3 reps to failure right?
    Last edited by jazer80; 01-11-2005 at 04:04 PM.

doing 7 or 8 rep sets to start off wont make you grow noticably. it doesnt have to be only 1-3 reps.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

7-8 reps is what i've been doing in my bulk and has worked well for size

Also besides the fibers, I think it has to do with where the actual muscle attaches to the bone and how much of a leverage works against it. If the tendon is attached closer to the fulcrum or pivot point, I believe the muscle would have to work a little harder then if it was attached a little farther away. Although this might be very minor it does have a certain amount of effectiveness.