Thread: Is it necessary to do Military Press after Flat Bench Press?

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Is it necessary to do Military Press after Flat Bench Press?

After I did the Flat Bench Press yesterday, my posterior delts felt really worked, and I proceeded to do the Military Press afterwards, which was pretty hard since my post. delts had already gotten hit pretty hard when doing Bench Press. Also, my Post. Delts are the most sore out of my Chest/Posterior and Medial Delts/Tri which I worked yesterday.

My question is: Is doing the Flat Bench Press enough for my Post. Delts (skipping Military Press)? Or even though they got hit pretty hard, should I still proceed with the Military Press, making my post. delts the hardest worked muscle that day? Or will I get used to it or something?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

It's not nessesary to do anything! DO what works for you.

Flat bech is mainly a chest exercise, with some shoulders and tricepts helping out

I usually do my shoulder routine 2 or 3 days after my chest routine.

Should you do any shoulders? That's like asking should you do any tricept work. You don't have to but your lifts won't be what they should be. In my own experience when I've had trouble improving my bench it usually due to my shoulders lacking behind my chest and tri's.

I hope your posterior delts weren't worked, or else you're benching quite incorrectly.

You anterior delts are used in benching. In vertical pressing, it is still your anterior delts doing a lot of the work, though the lateral head contributes more. If you want to target the lateral heads, and not overwork your anterior delts (which is quite common), then you can simply do some lateral db raises. Also, perhaps on back day, you should be working your posterior delts so that your shoulders don't become too imbalanced.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    After I did the Flat Bench Press yesterday, my posterior delts felt really worked, and I proceeded to do the Military Press afterwards, which was pretty hard since my post. delts had already gotten hit pretty hard when doing Bench Press. Also, my Post. Delts are the most sore out of my Chest/Posterior and Medial Delts/Tri which I worked yesterday.

My question is: Is doing the Flat Bench Press enough for my Post. Delts (skipping Military Press)? Or even though they got hit pretty hard, should I still proceed with the Military Press, making my post. delts the hardest worked muscle that day? Or will I get used to it or something?
    Your posterior side is your BACK side. Military press is a good anterior/lateral delt exercise, and works your triceps as well.

Yeah, sorry. I meant anterior delts. Stupid me. I meant to say that my anterior/medial delts get really worked doing Flat Bench Press. So, should I continue with my Military Press after the Bench, or should I work my shoulders on a whole different day? Currently, I'm doing Legs on Mon., Chest/Delts/Tri on Wed., and Back/Posterior Delts/Bi on Fri.

Also, how many big lifts should one limit himself to in one day? What I mean by big lift is: Squats, DLs, SLDLs, Bench Press, Clean and Press, and these kind of big lifts. Sorry, I don't really know what they're called.

And on a side note: Yes, on back day, I work the posterior delts doing Bent-over DB Lateral Raises.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Bench press won't work your lateral delts, but I'd keep bench and shoulder press together because there's so much overlap.

As far as Compound Lifts, I try to do everything in my workouts with them. Squats, Bench, Rows, Shoulder Presses, and SLDLs work nearly everything you've got!

So, how about doing Bench Press, and then afterwards doing Clean and Press on the same workout day? Is that too much overkill for my delts? Should I just stick with a normal Military Press exercise?
    Lifting Journal

It's not overkill as long as your delts are developing.

Alright, I have another question also. What if I did a Decline Bench Press instead of doing the regular Flat Bench Press. That way, my delts would be less focused on during the BP and more focused on during the Clean and Press. But the problem is: I don't have a bench that will decline. It only inclines. So, do you guys think it's okay to only do Dips as a chest exercise? Or is it necessary to do at least some type of BP? Btw, I could also do DB Flyes.
    Lifting Journal

Dips are a great chest exercise.

Doing flies is a way to emphasize the chest over the anterior deltoid, but only if done as transverse abduction. This is where the biceps point superior towards your head, your elbows would be pointing down/forward towards the pelvis. This is the alignment you get when you use a pec deck for example. The shoulder is externally (laterally) rotated.

When people bench press with their elbows out (abducted 90 degrees), that is transverse flexion. When people bench with their elbows in, this is flexion. In either case, both the pec and anterior deltoid will work.

To take the anterior deltoid out requires both abduction and externally rotating 90 degrees. To get a sense of this alignment it would be good to mimic using a pec deck with elbows bent and some light dumbbells. Then, once you get the hang of it, you can straighten them out. It's good to keep a slight bend in them just so you have a visual indicator of your shoulder rotation.

You shouldn't go by how the dumbbells rotate, because that can create an illusion that misleads you about your shoulder rotation. For example, say you are in the lockout position in front of you lying supine on a bench. Your thumbs are on the inside.

How are your shoulders rotated? You actually don't know this. Your forearm could be fully pronated and your shoulder fully externally rotated (this is the lockout position for an elbows-in bench press, the elbows would point in the direction of your feet).

Alternatively, your forearm and shoulder might be in a neutral position. The difference which is not readily visible when your elbow is straight is that the elbow would be pointing outwards. Relative to the previously mentioned, this means your forearm begins to supinate as your shoulder internally rotates, this maintains the same dumbbell and hand orientation. The difference becomes visible if you directly bring it down, because the elbows will come out.

Banned
    If doing shoulders/chest same day, I like doing the 2nd exercise on a machine.

Last time I benched and forgot to military afterwards the damn cops showed up at my house.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Last time I benched and forgot to military afterwards the damn cops showed up at my house.
    Lol
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Ya, but you just have to explain to the police that you press what most people can't even bench, and you bench what most people can't even deadlift.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Ya, but you just have to explain to the police that you press what most people can't even bench, and you bench what most people can't even deadlift.
    You make a good point here Off Road
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'