Thread: Describe the perfect gym.

Describe the perfect gym.

what is your idea of a perfect gym? including equipment, size, atmosphere, as well as nontypical gym services, such as swimming pool, basketball, raquetball, juice bar, lounge etc etc.

what would it take for you to walk into a gym and say "I *have* to sign up here?"

lastly, what about price? month to month, contract, sign up fees?

what turns you off from a gym? what makes you want to pick a specific gym?
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    my perfect gym is basically the place I worked out for the first 2 years. Which in the local Jewish Community Center (though I'm not Jewish). The problem is it's mostly old men and little scrawny kids that lift there. Plus their DB's only go up to 85. But they have 3 weight rooms, 3 pools, two bball courts, 2 raquetball courts, a baseball field, tennis courts, locker rooms with hot tubs and saunas, tons of cardio stuff, TV lounges, a bar with good health food, hot trainer girls, and other great equipment.

Now I lift at the local powerhouse, which is a typical musclehead gym, but they have plenty of heavy DB's and all the other stuff I need.

If I was rich I'd build my own private huge gym and just let all my friends lift there. It would be dope.

My idea of a perfect gym would be the old "dump" style gyms that aren't around anymore. When I lived in Ohio I was lucky enough to workout in one of these.

There were all basic free weight machines. Squat racks, benches, dumbbells...etc. There was a large cable machine in the middle of the front room as well as Hammerstrength shoulder and chest machines.

In the second room there were probably 10 treadmills, 4 elliptical machines, 2 stairmasters, and about 5 different types of ab machines. There were some other odd machines: roman chair, lower back extension/oblique crunch bench, and a few others I can't remember.

In the third room there were all of the leg machines, another hammerstrength bench machine (targeting a decline similar exercise), and a grip machine. 2 squat machines, a squat rack, 2 leg press machines, leg extension, leg curl, and calf machines as well.

And finally, in the fourth room was a couple hammerstrength shoulder machines, a shrug machine, several bicep/tricep machines, several back pulley machines, a t-bar row machine, some hammerstrength back machines, and a heavy bag and speed bag.

The floors were cement. The lights were dim. It was inside a garage that was attached to a bodyshop. The first two rooms were lit from the open garage doors, and the second two inside rooms were lit by lights, but not very bright, but not very dim either. Mirrors everywhere of course. Dumbbells went all the way up to 180lbs although I've never seen anyone use them, the highest I've seen was someone using 130lbs on flat bench. The pay was $33/month or $12/week or $5/day whichever you preferred. There was also a 3 month plan, a 6 month plan, and a one year plan. No contracts. You paid them and they wrote your name down and when your experation date for it was. The music played was a combination of alternative, rock, hard rock, and heavy metal depending on what the station was being played. For anyone in the Pittsburgh Pennsylvania area, the station was 105.9 the X.

I have to say that's the best gym I've ever been to. I loved it the first time I walked in. The place smelled of sweat and hard work. Guys were in there pounding away at themselves. I rencently went back in July to find all my old friends still there and then complimenting me on the 30lbs I've gained in the last year and a half .

I wish to open a gym someday, and even if it isn't successful, it will be my gym that I will workout at, a home gym persay, that I would loan out to customers for a small fee as above. This is basically what the owner of this gym did. He started it in his basement, a real small gym, and it just kept growing until he moved it to the garage next to the bodyshop and just kept adding machines and more machines. Sure, his rates have gone up, but not by much. So, as I said, even if it isn't a successful gym commercially speaking, it would be my gym and if I could give someone a taste of what a real gym and not a commercial gym is like, then I feel that I have done my duty.

________

About picking a specific gym, I guess at the time it doesn't really matter. If it has weights, I can use it. I recently visited florida for the holidays and went to the Gold's Gym based out of Port Orange, Florida. This was the sh1ttiest gym I've ever been to. I am a big man, but certainly not a VERY big man. I had to have outweighed the biggest man in there by close to 40lbs every time I went in. I went 5 times while I was there and did not once get impressed by anyone. It was hard to find a good spotter, and everyone just gawked at me. I recall doing a 500x2 squat, which I wanted to try for 4 but I didn't have alotta faith in my spotter, and everyone looking at me while I was doing it. Granted it's a good feeling, but when people get off the treadmill to watch me, and then don't even come up to say anything, they just turn around and go back to what they were doing, it makes me feel as if they're ..hell I dunno. I just don't feel comfortable in that kind of an environment. At my current gym if I do heavy weight on ANYTHING and have a "crowd" I'll get comments like good job, or people will strike a conversation about how long I've been lifting and such. Not just sneak rude comments under their breat as they walk away. I will never go to that gym again.

What turns me off about a gym is just what I have said. I like a friendly environment. I don't want people to not talk to me because I'm bigger, or because I "grunt" on a heavy set. I'm VERY outgoing and am proud of it. I start conversations with everybody. When I come to my gym here, I know everybody that works there, and I know 50% of the people who are working at at one time. Another thing that turns me off is if they don't have machines that I feel are vital. Example: a T-Bar Row with chest pad, a shrug machine, and a shoulder press cage. Granted I can use the squat rack for a shoulder press cage, but that just pisses off the people that ACTUALLY squat. These are just the 3 machines we DON'T have at my gym. Our dumbbells also only go to 125lbs. Unacceptable. I'm planning on switching gyms in the near future to find a more suitable one, although I will miss my friends.

So, I guess there you have it. BTW, this post was not anywhere remotely intended to brag about the weights I use or my size, so please don't use that against me.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Soloist
    If I was rich I'd build my own private huge gym and just let all my friends lift there. It would be dope.
    That would be dope. Could I come?
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    If I ever (oh I pray!) make it "big" in pro wrestling, I would definately open up a gym, whether my own or through a chain like Gold's. With pro wrestling, you get paid ALOT but most of it goes towards travel, food, hotels, and attire. Not to mention once your 40-50, you basically won't have work in the industry for the rest of your life.

And if I don't make it, I would still love to open a gym if I could get the funds. It would look nothing like what I say below though... that just doesn't "sell" to most people.

Perfect gym would have decent facilities, with the 'modern' gym look as opposed to the steel, cement old school look. However, not filled with $50 000 machines and crap. Barbells, plates, dumbells up to 200, squat racks, benches, pullup stations, dip stations, back extention, leg presses, lat pulldown, GHR station, cardio machines, and some misc. ab machines. As for music... the gym would be playing hard rock and some metal, nice and pretty loud.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Ditto.

I already go to the perfect gym..
    6'2 206

what littlejack posted "old school" types of gym my style
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Just go to the Y! I don't know about the US but up here in Canada the ymca is kinda poor and has the same free weight stuff it had 20 years ago.
    6'2 206

Quote Originally Posted by Ares
    Just go to the Y! I don't know about the US but up here in Canada the ymca is kinda poor and has the same free weight stuff it had 20 years ago.
    hehehe! that's where i am i train at the Y
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I wannabebig!
    my house, my weights, my music, open to me anytime I want just in the next room.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    my fav gym. would be my gym now, lots of weights, cardio equip, raquet ball courts, basketball courts, 2 pools, saunas, hot tubs, steam rooms, rock walls, etc the only thing i would change is more hot ladies and less people on my weights!
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

The perfect gym.. can anyone say Globo's?! I can do mp's in the smith machine!
    Last edited by Ares; 01-03-2005 at 06:47 AM.
    6'2 206

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    my house, my weights, my music, open to me anytime I want just in the next room.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

I've got it good.

I have a campus rec pass that gives me access to 4 different gyms that include 4 full weight rooms with all kinds of equipment, 4 large cardio rooms, 5 swimming pools (4 indoor), 3 indoor tracks, racquetball/squash courts, 6 indoor tennis courts, an indoor ice rink, about 20 basketball courts, martial arts rooms, multipurpose gyms, huge locker rooms, saunas, hot tubs, etc. and allows me the use of the outdoor rollerhockey rink and the outdoor track, as well. It's awesome, and they're almost done with expanding and remodeling one of the facilities, which will include a leisure pool with waterslides, hot tubs, and lap lanes. They're just starting on expanding the big gym to over 340,000 sq. ft. and it'll have a full 400 m indoor track, more area for fitness/cardio equipment, a rock climbing wall, and more basketball courts, plus they're redoing the outside 50m pool. It's gonna be awesome!

The only complaint I have is that sometimes it's too crowded and I have to wait for a power rack or bench, but that should be fixed with the added facilities.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

The UNC gym with no guys.

when ever I hear the YMCA song, damn that gotta be some kinda gym
    Last edited by Rock; 01-03-2005 at 01:26 PM.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage

That would be the perfect gym, provided that you have all the necessary equipement (benches, plenty of free weights, power rack, GHR, etc..)
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

A gym with tons of free weights and, other than me, it would only allow hot nymphos as members. Some cardio equipment and a pool would also be nice.

Hey, you did say "perfect."

Nice open area with few members to get in the way during cleans. Loads of free weights but none of the more useless machines (thinking thigh and groin mahine in particular). A steady cycle of Metallica, Rage, System, and Tool playing. That and no cover!
    22 y/o out of Puget Sound area of Washington
    6'2", 205 and putting on

I posted this on another site when asked what I'd like to see in a gym:

- Large, clean weight room with both machines (in a circuit for women who tend to use them most) and free weight section (with at least 2 squat racks, 4 benches, 2 inclines, and 2 decline benches, along with the standard curl station)
    - Dry towels at several points, and just as many places to drop your used ones off - multiple water fountains too
    - Hot towels in the locker room
    - Clean locker room (no rust on the lockers, no paint chipped off, this is not our high school gym)
    - Multiple, sectioned off (with full shower curtains) showering stations + changing stations so we can shower and then get dressed quietly (and without having to be uncomfortable).
    - Cardio machines pointed towards televisions in one section, cardio machines pointed towards a large window with a nice view. A lot of ellipticals too, I'm tired of the lines for them.

I would also prefer the gym to cost enough for me to afford but expensive enough to make it prohibitive for a lot of others to make it crowded. I would want a lot of machines and other random cardio machines that I'd never use to free up the stuff I do want.

I cross between the gym from dodgeball (the expensive one) and a strip club!!!
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    ideal gym:

the exact gym I lift at in Barrie (GoodLife Fitness), which is a cavernous new facility with at least two of everything I could want, great selection of weights, great selection of dumbbells

EXCEPT

that instead of the mouth-breathing rednecks and vapid junior yuppies that populate it, in order to make it ideal it just needs a clientele that consists of me, and a few hundred stunningly beautiful women of varied ages (20-40), ethnicities, and morphologies, all of whom cheer me on as I lift and shamelessly flirt while I ignore them and crank up the megadeth and lift harder

Down with the Sickness
    Old school type of gym where the music is loud and hard, the guys are huge hairy sweaty man beasts and the women are petite like fitness models and have hardly anything on and drool over your 500lb deadlift.

I wannabebig!
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan
    ideal gym:

the exact gym I lift at in Barrie (GoodLife Fitness), which is a cavernous new facility with at least two of everything I could want, great selection of weights, great selection of dumbbells

EXCEPT

that instead of the mouth-breathing rednecks and vapid junior yuppies that populate it, in order to make it ideal it just needs a clientele that consists of me, and a few hundred stunningly beautiful women of varied ages (20-40), ethnicities, and morphologies, all of whom cheer me on as I lift and shamelessly flirt while I ignore them and crank up the megadeth and lift harder
    that would be nice