The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

question on glycemic index

does the GI of oats change if i grind them up in a shake?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

hmm i wouldn't think so...as long as you aren't adding anything in while grinding...i doubt the glycemic index of the oats would change as it would just be a change in state not anything else...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

The rate of digestion will be affected by the surface area, so I would suspect yes.

Trying to learn on the fly
    but you normally chew them, increasing their surface area. i don't think that the glycemic index will change at all

Wannabebig Member Cynical_Simian's Avatar
    I'd say it depends on how much you grind them up. If, for example, you make oat flour by grinding up a bunch of old-fashioned oats as part of a protein bar recipe or something, you're probably changing the GI a decent amount. In that case, they're becoming more finely ground than instant/quick oats, which definitely have higher GIs than regular oats. But if you're just blending them into the shake, the difference is likely negligible or non-existent.

As stated, the difference is negligible. Dont worry about it bro.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

no i mean i really grind them up in a shake, to the point where they won't even settle out while i'm drinking it.

if grinding things up doesn't change it, then apple juice and apples would have the same GI right? (don't have any charts handy, are they the same GI?)

Don't forget though that a lot of juices are from concentrate, so you need to compare 'fresh' apple juice that hasn't been concentrated.

so concentrating affects GI? either way, for argument's sake, would fresh apple juice have same GI as apples?

No, because it won't have the fiber of the apple.

If you're grinding the oats that finely then I'm even more convinced the GI will be altered. Whether it's significant or not is another matter.

Even if the GI was changed would you stop making your shakes that way? The fiber is still there and from a body composition perspective it will not make a difference.

--Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    30th U.S. President

3:16
    if you mash them to a really really fine pulp it will increase the GI as stated above as they will be easier to digest. It will not effect GI that much.

have you managed to mash oats enough into a shake yet keep it tastey?

i just use banana.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

sometimes they taste okay, sometimes not. i usually remember to get something tasty in there, or some sugar. also i add ice so the texture makes it more palatable. i also put bananas in, and flax seeds, soy protein and/or whey, milk, peanut butter, basically anything i can find. sometimes coffee. more often than not random stuff gets in there and the flavors clash badly, but as long as it's a little sweet and cold you get used to it

Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    Even if the GI was changed would you stop making your shakes that way?
    i would actually, if i significantly changed the GI composition. i'm following 'macrobolic nutrition' principles (from a book by some supplement company), but basically i'm not eating anything w/ high GI anymore, except around workouts, but i've cut down the amount of high GI stuff around workouts as well. it's just not good to have high GI stuff, aside from storing fat it's not good for your skin and other stuff. it's just not healthy, so i'm trying to stay away from it, plus i started my bulk off a little while back and put on a little fat right away in the beginning because i was making a good portion of my daily calories from weightgainers w/ maltodext, but i don't want to have to cut when i get to my target weight, so i'm just going w/ low GI whole foods in big quantities every two - three hours.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    The fiber is still there and from a body composition perspective it will not make a difference.
    how would it not make a difference if you go from eating something w/ low GI to moderate or high?

Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    i would actually, if i significantly changed the GI composition. i'm following 'macrobolic nutrition' principles (from a book by some supplement company), but basically i'm not eating anything w/ high GI anymore, except around workouts, but i've cut down the amount of high GI stuff around workouts as well. it's just not good to have high GI stuff, aside from storing fat it's not good for your skin and other stuff. it's just not healthy, so i'm trying to stay away from it, plus i started my bulk off a little while back and put on a little fat right away in the beginning because i was making a good portion of my daily calories from weightgainers w/ maltodext, but i don't want to have to cut when i get to my target weight, so i'm just going w/ low GI whole foods in big quantities every two - three hours.

how would it not make a difference if you go from eating something w/ low GI to moderate or high?
    Because GI isnt going to go from very low to very high just from blending it, it will change but not drastically. If you want to be 5% then slight GI changes may matter. But putting on muscle without fat isnt going to change that dramatically from Gi changes, at least not for me.

--Abraham Lincoln

30th U.S. President